Ren'Py Combining two or more variables to create a new variable.

simarimas

Dev FitB Games
Game Developer
Oct 1, 2018
I am just beginning work on a new game. Playing around more than anything. I have searched all over the net, but had no luck in finding the correct answer. Hoping you can help.

I will have multiple variables, which change depending on choices. They could be a girls reactions, or training the MC has done.

So I have say;

$ arialike = a variable number (say 40)
$ ariaflirt = a variable number (say 10)

I want to combine these variables to create a new stat.
$ ariaattracted (arialike + ariaflirt) to equal (50)

I don't want to make game changes to ariaattracted. I want the arialike and ariaflirt used to change ariaattracted. As arialike and ariaflirt will also be used seperately in game.

What code do I use for this?

I have tried multiple different ways, but am having no luck. ariaattracted doesn't change.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mimomono

Feb 6, 2021
It may not be perfect as I'm not experienced myself but perhaps this could work, I tested it as it is written in the example.

First define/label the variable for ariaattacted like this:
Code:
label item_counter:
$ ariaattracted  = arialike + ariaflirt
return
Then you can just call upon it:
Code:
call item_counter
     if ariaattracted  == 3:
          "arialike and ariaflit are [arialike] plus [ariaflirt] which equals ariaattracted which is [ariaattracted]"
return

simarimas

Dev FitB Games
Game Developer
Oct 1, 2018
I appreciate it.

Not quite what I was looking for. I don't want to call the stat. I just want it to basically write the sum of ariaflirt and arialike to a completely new stat. That can then be checked against, to see if aria is attracted to the MC.

This way she would be attracted by a combination of the two (or even more) stats instead of just one stat like arialike.

I am hoping to be able to combine several stats to make one. Like also a perv stat, so some girls will be more, or less attracted depending on how big a perv the MC is, in addition to like and flirt.

Thanks for the input.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
My suggestion would be to not have a separate variable.
It's way too easy to forget to recalculate it or fuck it up somewhere by keeping it separate.

If you really must insist on having a variable for it, your original post almost has it already - and using mimomomo's example as the basis...

Python:
default arialike = 0
default ariaflirt = 0

default ariaattracted = 0

# blah, blah, game code...

label middle_of_the_game:

$ ariaattracted = arialike + ariaflirt
    if ariaattracted >= 30:
        "arialike and ariaflit are [arialike] plus [ariaflirt] which equals ariaattracted which is [ariaattracted]"

# and so the game continues.

But a better way, in my opinion, is to just forget having a 3rd variable...

Python:
    if arialike + ariaflirt >= 30:

That way, it's still easy to read - but removes that extra step of keeping a 3rd variable in line with the other 2.

If you end up doing something more complicated, just use parenthesis (just like math class).

Python:
    if (arialike + ariaflirt  >= 30) or cheating_enabled == True:

if statements are checking if something is True. That something can be as simple as if aria_naked == True: or something more complicated. No matter how complicated the statement becomes, the end result is either True or False and that's all that matters.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020
My suggestion would be to not have a separate variable.
It's way too easy to forget to recalculate it or fuck it up somewhere by keeping it separate.
A function could also be used, that way he doesn't have to remember to recalculate it:
Python:
init python:
    def ariaattracted():
        return arialike + ariaflirt
Obviously this gets kinda ugly, since arialike and ariaflirt gets called as is, whereas the third has to be called with ariaattracted().

A solution to this could be to create a class, which might be useful if more characters are to be tracked.
Python:
default aira = CharacterStats()

init python:
    class CharacterStats(object):
        def __init__(self):
            self.like = 0
            self.flirt = 0
        @property
        def attracted(self):
            return self.flirt + self.like
This way aria.like, aria.flirt and aria.attracted all gets called in a similar fashion.

That said, this might be going overboard for a beginner. So using code that is understandable should be a priority.

simarimas

Dev FitB Games
Game Developer
Oct 1, 2018
Awesome. It worked using the init python ariaattracted()

Thanks so much everyone.