Ren'Py Comics textbox

Elefy

Jan 4, 2022
Hi
I made screen code that show dialogue like in comics.
Use popular game for demo.
Feel free to try and look at code for suggestions and optimizations.
It can be our "comics addon" for future games .

Lets make it better!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I made screen code that show dialogue like in comics.
Sorry, but my thought is: Oh my fucking god, what horror !

While the idea can be interesting, everything is wrong in the way you did it.

Firstly the player need to click on the bubble in order to advance the game, what mean that he'll pass most of his time moving the mouse. And obviously he can now only rely on the mouse to advance, the four keys defined to do the same being now useless.

Secondly the whole game building change, since you don't rely on the original dialog line feature, but on a called screen. There's features that couldn't be used anymore, like by example attributes, dialog tags, and line continuation:
Code:
mc happy "Glad to see you. {w=2}It's been a long time."
scene mcLookingAround
extend " Oh, don't care about the mess, please."
This wouldn't be possible anymore. Well, the attribute can be used, but not as easily, since it don't pill up on top of the previously used. And while it can be used, it make no sense to use it since it's added on the top left corner of the screen, and globally it come from nowhere what would make it feel really weird.

Thirdly, all arguments to the screen are mandatory, what make their use a pain in the ass, especially for the said attribute, that would have to be defined as an empty string (and only as an empty string) every single time.

Tweaking the "say" screen, and relying on would have been way better. It would have implemented this "comic style" approach, without the need to change the way to write the game, and so without breaking everything.

Elefy

Jan 4, 2022
Firstly the player need to click on the bubble in order to advance the game
Yes, Its like "MnF" style.
736_and.jpg
Yes parameters of every balloon positioning make it comic style, but if you have other ideas?

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Yes, Its like "MnF" style.
Yes parameters of every balloon positioning make it comic style.
It would have been better if you made your answer looks like you tried to understand what I said.

The problem isn't the parameters, but the fact that you totally broke Ren'Py dialog mechanism, making all its advantage useless, and that you did it without a single reason, since you absolutely don't need to rely on a called screen to achieve what you try to do.