Ren'Py command play error

Feb 1, 2019
hi my problem is this
problem.PNG
i can't find a way to make the "play" command to activate

it's supposed to be like in the second example but when i put the "=" it just ignores the word

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
hey anyone knows why the word "play" does not activated? for example:

1309681_problem[1].png

Presuming those are the only lines you have... the reason is that you've only declared the displayable image... you haven't told RenPy to show it to the player yet.

Normally, you'd have something like...

Python:
image animation1 = Movie(play="test.webm")

label start:

scene black with fade
    "*** START ***"

scene animation1                  # show animation 1st time.
    pause 8.0                         # assuming movie is around 8 seconds long

scene animation1 with dissolve    # show animation 2nd time.
    pause 8.0

"*** THE END ***"
    return

Where the image is declared somewhere at the top of the code, with any other predefined images you want to declare, and then later either a scene animation1 or a show animation1, depending on your needs. The with dissolve is optional, but can sometimes avoid a brief flash of RenPy empty background.

The pauses wouldn't be needed if the scene commands were followed by character dialogue. But without character's speaking... the pause is needed.

Alternately code image animation1 = Movie(play="test.webm", image="test.jpg", start_image="test.jpg")... where test.jpg is a single image with the very first video frame. image= and start_image= are used for two different reasons to show a fixed image while the movie is being loaded/prepared.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
In addition to what 79flavors already told you:

it's supposed to be like in the second example but when i put the "=" it just ignores the word
No, it's not supposed to be like in the second example.

"play" is the name of an argument/parameter, it have no reason to be highlighted and if it is, it imply that there's an error somewhere. It's not because it's also the name of a statement/instruction, that it change something.