Ren'Py Compile Ren'py sdk on m1 Mac?

crackedherbs

Aug 1, 2020
I've googled around for it, but have come to a dead end. I would like to compile it for apple silicon. Any tips?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Did you try looking at the Ren'py GitHub site? Specifically ?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Did you try looking at the Ren'py GitHub site? Specifically ?
Platform("mac", "x86_64")
If I read this correctly, it still can only build on Intel. But it can just be the documentation that is outdated ; wouldn't be the first time.

In June last year PyTom said that Ren'Py was working on his Rosetta 2, but that there were still works to do. But I don't remember that he talked about it since.
This said, if it don't already natively works on Apple Silicon architectures, I guess that trying to compile it is just useless. Even if the compilation works fine, and if Ren'Py launch after this, it would still need the adjustments/corrections that PyTom haven't have had the time to do yet.

Side note: Hey rich, take a look at my signature ;)

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Download RenPy SDK and try it.
What he's trying to do is to rebuild the Ren'py SDK itself so that there's a version native to the M1. What you're pointing him at is the result of that process, not the "how to create it."

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
What he's trying to do is to rebuild the Ren'py SDK itself so that there's a version native to the M1. What you're pointing him at is the result of that process, not the "how to create it."
Oh. Then I totally misunderstood his post!

Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Cheers!

crackedherbs

Aug 1, 2020
If I read this correctly, it still can only build on Intel. But it can just be the documentation that is outdated ; wouldn't be the first time.

In June last year PyTom said that Ren'Py was working on his Rosetta 2, but that there were still works to do. But I don't remember that he talked about it since.
This said, if it don't already natively works on Apple Silicon architectures, I guess that trying to compile it is just useless. Even if the compilation works fine, and if Ren'Py launch after this, it would still need the adjustments/corrections that PyTom haven't have had the time to do yet.
I found this in my googling but it seems that . However, the current 7.4.* do not seem to be native.

Download RenPy SDK and try it.
I read over the build instructions, but it says that you need an ubuntu distro to compile—I couldn't find anything where you can take the source and compile it on a Mac.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
No, things haven't changed during the week.

And you never answer to my implicit question:
[...] if it don't already natively works on Apple Silicon architectures, [...]
Have you simply tried to make it works as it ?

I know that there's only a x86 built, therefore an Intel version, but it's not totally impossible that this build also works on Apple Silicon ; it wouldn't be the first time that Apple do something totally proprietary by just copying what others are doing.

crackedherbs

Aug 1, 2020
And you never answer to my implicit question:

Have you simply tried to make it works as it ?

I know that there's only a x86 built, therefore an Intel version, but it's not totally impossible that this build also works on Apple Silicon ; it wouldn't be the first time that Apple do something totally proprietary by just copying what others are doing.
Yes. There's a system utility that can show you whether it's compatible or not. I've downloaded it and checked and it is built for intel, not for running native.

It's a matter of compiling it to the native architecture. The instructions posted on GitHub show you how to compile it natively for intel architecture, but do not speak to compiling it on an OS other than Ubuntu. So, if anyone has any idea on how to compile it on MacOS, I could probably figure out the rest and maybe even contribute to the source/instructions on GitHub for other folks.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
It's a matter of compiling it to the native architecture.
If it was this simple, so many people would be unemployed...

It never limits to "a matter of compiling", even when the code rely massively on external libs ; compilation conditions exist precisely for this reason. There will always be an OS or an architecture that will want to be different from the others and need that you do "this" where "that" works fine in any other cases.

So, if anyone has any idea on how to compile it on MacOS, I could probably figure out the rest and maybe even contribute to the source/instructions on GitHub for other folks.
Why do you want to do something when you don't have a single clue about it ?

I've been in school, I know how electricity and electrics circuits works. I time to time changed an outlet or a switch, but I wouldn't starts to change the whole circuits. It's clearly above my knowledge and I would let this to someone who learned how to do it. And the exact same apply here.
There's the instructions to compile it on Ubuntu, and for Windows. Anyone who know how to compile would relatively easily figure how to do the same on and for another OS. The libraries needed are the same, you just need to find the equivalent for your OS. And obviously the step are the sames, at worse you just need to replace the name of the tools ; but generally they are the same. There's perhaps few change to do in the makefile(s), but here again it's not something really difficult when you know what makefiles are and how they works.

With some luck, the official code already include the patches for Apple Silicon, and you'll not have to wonder how to fix the compilation warnings/errors. But now you'll still have to fix all the errors coming from the Python parts.
As I said previously, PyTom (Ren'Py author) payed the subscription fee to Apple port program. He want to do this port, he works on doing this port. Therefore, it the port do not exist yet, then it mean that Ren'Py will not works, neither entirely nor as expected, even if you achieve to compile its compiled parts.

fastpinky

Jan 14, 2020
Release 8.1.x will be a native M1, which can be previewed using nightly build.

In some cases you can just download your 8.0.x game, replace renpy and python and hope for the best.