Compressed games

Webs

Sep 25, 2018
Hey everyone, just had a question as to if compressed games were taken out of f95 since I haven't seen them in a while...
Thanks

• Red Heart
Reactions: Johnyboy

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
They finally stopped feeding into the frenzy of promoting compressed versions in the OP with every update.

If you are interested in them you can still use the search feature to find the most recent posts with a compressed version in any specific game thread.

Budokai

Jul 16, 2017
I don't really understand what was the issue that has motivated this decision. Compressed versions are needed, nowadays we are no longer limited to use a computer, we have multiple devices and I think there is a quite big user base that uses mostly mobile where size is an important aspect.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I don't really understand what was the issue that has motivated this decision.
Lack of people who lack of time.

Each day there's between 50 and 100 games updated, or that appear for the first time. What mean uploading the games on different hosts (around 12 uploading by games), then editing the thread opening to add the links. This mean also having to edit again those threads to change the link to the post where there's the compressed version, same for the android port.
Add to this the assets threads, the comics and animations threads, and the thousand new posts created each day. All this handled by a handful and half volunteers taking on their free time.

There's just no enough time, and updating the link to the compressed version, or android port not being a priority, and in a way not totally mandatory, it's what was cut off.

Edit: I guess that this post is an idiot catcher...

Last edited:

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
It isn't intended as a permanent solution - but once the new UI is running, supposedly once authorized compressors create a post with link(s) to a compressed version of a game in its thread, the OP is expected to autopopulate with the information.

That said, until then, make sure your preferences are set for "most recent" for search results order.

Searching in a game thread:
  1. When in the game thread, search for the word compressed
    1683315585736.png
  2. voila - first page of results if game recently updated
Searching in the Compression requests thread:
  1. Don't go to the thread, go to the Game Requests Forum and search for the game title
    1683315638635.png
  2. Most likely you'll see a few of the top results telling people that the compression was already requested and then the requests - because people don't search first. But, again, on the first page of results, there is the link for the compressed version post

kev4U

Jun 22, 2017
Still not convenient and they were a better option with some games being over 10gb's. So sadly not a chage I enjoy.

Search does not find the deleted links from the OP either.

Stephanie98

Nov 2, 2021
i stored most of renpy games on my steamdeck, i prefer compressed version rather than the original because my steamdeck have very limited storage