Concept art for my game

tomcire

Jun 12, 2018
I was searching the right section to ask some feedback, I hope this is the right one.
I wanted to do a game, it will be in the classical VN format (renpy probably, but I may develope an html/js engine, I will see which one I will prefer on the long run) but I still am searching the right art style.
I don't have a team, so I don't have an artist (my hand skills are quite low for this task) and DAZ is very good, but almost every game right now uses it, and I want a more unique style especially considering how much the same models appear, it is not even that easy to use if someone wants a good render and it will ask many hours to complete it. I decided then to have much less pictures but to use my own style and I would like to have some feedback to understand if I am on the right path.
I will use this thread for every pic I'll make.
What do you think about this one? May you like anything like that? Consider that I will improve the disposition of the polygons, It is just a test (legs arms and shoulder have to be redone in this one, I'm interested in the reaction to this style).
More styles will appear in the next days/weeks

rem.png

wurg

Modder
Apr 19, 2018
I would say the style is subjective to the person playing it, if you have a good story to back up the different style, go for it. There will always be someone complaining no matter what, it's just some people's nature.

The one piece of advise I would give to you is make sure you spend time making the boobs, butts, and other important parts look as good as possible ( small polygons to make them more realistic ). People will be merciless if these don't look right.

Reactions: tomcire

DreamNow

Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
It's quite nice and unusual, but I would slightly increase the number of polygons and improve the anatomy. For example did a more accurate wrist

robbinrobbie

Aug 8, 2017
Interesting style! While I prefer the daz look I understand what you are saying about many games using the same resources. I like what your going for and that your looking to be unique, but honestly, I wouldnt play a VN with that art style. Just my personal preference. I like my games to look as realistic as possible

tomcire

Jun 12, 2018
Interesting style! While I prefer the daz look I understand what you are saying about many games using the same resources. I like what your going for and that your looking to be unique, but honestly, I wouldnt play a VN with that art style. Just my personal preference. I like my games to look as realistic as possible
Thank you for the honest comment.

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
the Polygonal style is pretty unique which, if you play to it's strengths and stylised nature i think it could look pretty good, the light and shade look good too, if you can get a greater amount of good visual content this than something like Daz then go for it, Daz is a time hole and while a good Daz render is a joy, it requires good hardware and quite a lot of experience to be able to produce good renders quickly.

Reactions: tomcire

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
I was searching the right section to ask some feedback, I hope this is the right one.
I wanted to do a game, it will be in the classical VN format (renpy probably, but I may develope an html/js engine, I will see which one I will prefer on the long run) but I still am searching the right art style.
I don't have a team, so I don't have an artist (my hand skills are quite low for this task) and DAZ is very good, but almost every game right now uses it, and I want a more unique style especially considering how much the same models appear, it is not even that easy to use if someone wants a good render and it will ask many hours to complete it. I decided then to have much less pictures but to use my own style and I would like to have some feedback to understand if I am on the right path.
I will use this thread for every pic I'll make.
What do you think about this one? May you like anything like that? Consider that I will improve the disposition of the polygons, It is just a test (legs arms and shoulder have to be redone in this one, I'm interested in the reaction to this style).
More styles will appear in the next days/weeks

View attachment 182429
Every movie-maker for decades used much the same sort of cameras, and essentially similar cine-film. Sets were built by similarly qualified set-builders. Editing was done on similar editing equipment. Many great movies of radically different genres even use the same actors.

What I'm getting at is that ultimately, the story itself, and how you use what you have to tell it, is the most important thing, by far.

In DAZ, you can choose to express yourself just like great directors did, by having your own style of camera angles, wide angle shots and close-ups, lighting and mood, etc. You can apply a near infinite array of custom filters to give the final renders a distinctive look and feel, whether that's to give scenes a subtly warmer or cooler tone, a subtle overexposed or underexposed look, or even effects to make the scenes look like they were taken on old cameras or film, etc. DAZ is very literally a virtual studio, and just like a real-life movie studio, you can do a lot with it if you have the vision and ideas.

Create the story first. Know what you want the player to experience and to feel. Then create the visuals to enhance and transmit that, to make a good story into a great one.