Concerning Patreon

RandomFarmer

Jul 3, 2017
Hey guys! Some of you may know me with this Super Alien. Although I can find way to improve my rendering and writing skills, I'm at a lost of how to grow my Patreon especially since it's 18+. Any idea would be greatly appreciated.:)

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
By being patient and providing some updates.

There's tons of games that end abandoned, and this make people cautious when it come to pledging.
So far you released only one update, the very first one, more than six months ago. While it seem to have been well received, it's really too soon to expect some supports.

Prove that you are ready to invest yourself in your game, that you really don't plan to abandon it, and with time more people will starts to pledge. And the best way to prove this is to release more updates.
This even if you have to say every now and then that you are sorry about the poor quality of the renders, just can't do better for now due to the computer you have, and that you're doing your best to improve your writing skills, but that obviously it needs time. Despite some irreducible naysayers, people tend to be tolerant here, as long as your story interest them, they can wait for your improvements.

gunderson

Aug 17, 2016
Looking at your Patreon page, it might also be worth posting the occasional free, censored image to show people the sorts of things you're working on. People have been burned before seeing a promising project that hasn't been updated in a while attached to a Patreon project with a bunch of posts, only to find that those posts are fairly minimal in content and mostly contain apologies and excuses. Communication is key.

Reactions: RandomFarmer

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
This is a concern we all have. First and foremost, I'm with the grumpy ann: It's too soon to expect results if the first update is here. As a new creator, users expect consistency from you (besides, obviously, a game they can fap to).

You can try and build the hype around your game, by being more active on your game thread. I see you already are but it doesn't hurt more frequent progress reports, like showing unfinished renders, or talk about when you have been up to. Remember that you're competing on a crowded genre, sci-fy VN.

Also, don't forget about your writing, as a non-english speaker with a text-based game, I battle constantly with this.

I would say more frequent updates help, but hell, I'm not a ren'py dev, but from what I've read, a single render could take a day or so, so I understand why you can't put up with that.

Another thing that could have hurt you, was to speak about your future game so soon, even showing pics. When your first game is so new, players want to make sure you won't abandon it, and when you announce your other project so soon... I know, there are devs with multiple projects at the same time, but they are, established devs or have a team behind them.

It also helps publishing on other sites, like itch.io, svs comics, etc... and lastly, you should apply for the dev tag, create a ticket with that subject and the mods will tell you the requirements and steps to get it. We have a sub-forum with orgies useful info.

RandomFarmer

Jul 3, 2017
Thank you guys for your answers. Ultimately, I think it's communication and consistency that will help my Patreon grow.
For the past 6 months I switched to this and , doing random renders to improve my skills.
Also, I looked around and couldn't find anything that comes close to F95zone.