Concerns regarding Patreon workarounds

GoodOldChap

Sep 5, 2021
I apologize if I am bringing up obvious information. However I haven't found anything relating to this specificaly so I thought it better to be on the safe side. I know that Patreon has restrictions on the type of adult content that can be shared on the site.

However, I was wondering if they would strike you down if all the content you publish on there follows the rules, but then I can share my other games through this platform, although I suppose that means I can't do something like link to this site, Although I also wonder if it would be ok to mention other games exist, or if that is too much.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
just don't mention anything about this site or that you are on this site period

make sure you use a different user name and email

GoodOldChap

Sep 5, 2021
just don't mention anything about this site or that you are on this site period

make sure you use a different user name and email
That was the plan. Before publishing the first game I was going to change the username, profile and email to something different. I'll make sure to not bring up f95 at all on Patreon. Thank you for the information.

x_309

Nov 15, 2020
Keep in mind you're still in violation of their rules even if you host the offending content off site. So you're giving lots of random people on the internet the power to potentially shut you down with a report.

Mock1ngb1rd

May 14, 2023
Why using Patreon at all?
Wouldn't it be better to just go on another site if you plan to create content that is against their rules?

Last edited:
Reactions: Count Morado

GoodOldChap

Sep 5, 2021
Why using Patreon at all?
Wouldn't it be better to just go on another site if you plan to create content that is against their rules?
I suppose that is true, it's just that I believed that Patreon would not concern itself with activity that is not on their platform, and it is probably the largest site that provides such a service. The other possible possible alternatives was maybe Itch.io, subcribestar or maybe Fanbox, but I would be greatly thankful if you knew of some other sites that I do not know about.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I suppose that is true, it's just that I believed that Patreon would not concern itself with activity that is not on their platform, and it is probably the largest site that provides such a service. The other possible possible alternatives was maybe Itch.io, subcribestar or maybe Fanbox, but I would be greatly thankful if you knew of some other sites that I do not know about.
You would be wrong about Patreon. If an official patch is discovered (or some other official content) for content that is promoted on Patreon - it can cause an account to be frozen or terminated. All it takes is one disgruntled fan to point them the way, just as x_309 mentioned. I don't think Fanbox has issues with offsite content - but anything onsite has to follow their guidelines. Your safest bet is Subscribestar or Itch.io at this time if you want to proceed with controversial content.

GoodOldChap

Sep 5, 2021
You would be wrong about Patreon. If an official patch is discovered (or some other official content) for content that is promoted on Patreon - it can cause an account to be frozen or terminated. All it takes is one disgruntled fan to point them the way, just as x_309 mentioned. I don't think Fanbox has issues with offsite content - but anything onsite has to follow their guidelines. Your safest bet is Subscribestar or Itch.io at this time if you want to proceed with controversial content.
Ok, so the problem is that it is being promoted on Patreon. But that was never the plan. I was going to release the games that follow patreons guidelines and advertise them there, but I was not going to do any advertising for the games that break those rule at all, there was going to be no mention of them in the slightest. Would Patreon still not be ok with that?

Mock1ngb1rd

May 14, 2023
I'm asking since I'm pretty new to this (=
Subscribestar|.adult just sounds like the better alternative if you plan such content.
I mean most who look for such content will probably not look on Patreon for it and people who would support/donate for it, would also most likely do that on subscribestar, fanbox or buymeacoffee.
As I said I'm pretty new to this and would appreciate some insight.

GoodOldChap

Sep 5, 2021
I'm asking since I'm pretty new to this (=
Subscribestar|.adult just sounds like the better alternative if you plan such content.
I mean most who look for such content will probably not look on Patreon for it and people who would support/donate for it, would also most likely do that on subscribestar, fanbox or buymeacoffee.
As I said I'm pretty new to this and would appreciate some insight.
I am extremely new as well, so I believe you should take what I have to say with a grain of salt, However from what I have heard Subscribestar requires you to provide evidence for your online presence and that there is something that you create. This is not required on Patreon. Admittedly a large part of setting up an account is that there are a lot more people that have a Patreon account then have Subscribestar one.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Ok, so the problem is that it is being promoted on Patreon. But that was never the plan. I was going to release the games that follow patreons guidelines and advertise them there, but I was not going to do any advertising for the games that break those rule at all, there was going to be no mention of them in the slightest. Would Patreon still not be ok with that?
I'm going to use the standard legal answer: "It depends."

The question you have to ask yourself is if you want to risk it. Nothing may ever happen. It may happen on the first day. It may happen six months in, two years in. And then your account is terminated, you're banned - and any funds still in your Patreon account before transfer would be refunded to your subscribers and then you have to start all over again at another service.

Honestly, I don't know why you are preoccupied with sticking with Patreon. It's not the lucrative service you might think it is. Only about 50% of all adult game creators promoting their work on Patreon for at least 2 years make more than $100 USD per month. About 5% bring in $4,000 USD or more per month on Patreon after at least 2 years.

I haven't done a similar analysis for Subscribestar or Itch.io adult game creators, but it probably isn't different by some significant amount.

GoodOldChap

Sep 5, 2021
I'm going to use the standard legal answer: "It depends."

The question you have to ask yourself is if you want to risk it. Nothing may ever happen. It may happen on the first day. It may happen six months in, two years in. And then your account is terminated, you're banned - and any funds still in your Patreon account before transfer would be refunded to your subscribers and then you have to start all over again at another service.

Honestly, I don't know why you are preoccupied with sticking with Patreon. It's not the lucrative service you might think it is. Only about 50% of all adult game creators promoting their work on Patreon for at least 2 years make more than $100 USD per month. About 5% bring in $4,000 USD or more per month on Patreon after at least 2 years.

I haven't done a similar analysis for Subscribestar or Itch.io adult game creators, but it probably isn't different by some significant amount.
I suppose that is true enough. Although I wasn't planning on being on Patreon exclusively, it was closer to it being one more place that I would release from. But that may ultimately not be worth the trouble, so I'll be looking into other sites as well.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I suppose that is true enough. Although I wasn't planning on being on Patreon exclusively, it was closer to it being one more place that I would release from. But that may ultimately not be worth the trouble, so I'll be looking into other sites as well.
Also, if you're getting into developing your first game with the idea you are going to make a living from doing it... I'm going to burst your bubble (if my 50% $100 information didn't already do it) - the vast majority of people developing adult games that you find on this site (and on Patreon and Subscribestar, etc etc etc) are making less than minimum wage doing it. In fact a good number actually are paying out more in computers, upgrades, repairs, electricity usage, software, assets, etc etc than they are bringing in.

If you are developing games because its your passion to create them - because you have a story to tell or for some other reason - and you aren't too worried about how much you'll bring in, then you you should find a platform which allows you to do so without having to either alter your vision or attempt to circumvent their TOS.

GoodOldChap

Sep 5, 2021
Also, if you're getting into developing your first game with the idea you are going to make a living from doing it... I'm going to burst your bubble (if my 50% $100 information didn't already do it) - the vast majority of people developing adult games that you find on this site (and on Patreon and Subscribestar, etc etc etc) are making less than minimum wage doing it. In fact a good number actually are paying out more in computers, upgrades, repairs, electricity usage, software, assets, etc etc than they are bringing in.

If you are developing games because its your passion to create them - because you have a story to tell or for some other reason - and you aren't too worried about how much you'll bring in, then you you should find a platform which allows you to do so without having to either alter your vision or attempt to circumvent their TOS.
Nah, I don't expect to game a living on this, just some money on the side. Even if I would get nothing from this, I would probably still make them in my free time. It would just still be nice to make some on the side, you know?

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Nah, I don't expect to game a living on this, just some money on the side. Even if I would get nothing from this, I would probably still make them in my free time. It would just still be nice to make some on the side, you know?
I understand and your response only reinforces that you placed too much importance on trying to get around Patreon TOS, when you should find the platform that will best fit your creation.

GoodOldChap

Sep 5, 2021
I understand and your response only reinforces that you placed too much importance on trying to get around Patreon TOS, when you should find the platform that will best fit your creation.
It seems that I have. Thank you very much for your input, it has been very informative.