Confused about updates, send help.

Stalker Seducer

Game Developer
Sep 22, 2021
Recently i posted my game, and i noticed the rules talking about "not abusing the promotion system" but i don't really understand what promotion even is... also from what i do understand they don't want you posting spam updates to a game, so when am i allowed to update my game?

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
Promotion is when a game shows up in the Latest Updates (it has to be put manually there by the uploaders as far as I know). The "not abusing the promotion system" is about devs who make small updates, just to stay in the Latest Updates all the time and thus could get a larger visibility.
But a game will only get a promotion once every other week anyways.
1722709431552.png

You can update more often, it just won't get promoted every time.

Jaike

Aug 24, 2020
Just as a procedural comment, you'd more likely get reliable advice by posting this in the dev subforum, opening a ticket for general support, or sliding into Hagatar or Count Morado's messsages...

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022

For example: Majalis releases a minor update every week for their game, Tales of Androgyny, and at the start of each month, they release a major update that comprises all the changes from the previous month. That's 5-6 updates per month - but with the two week throttling, their game gets bumped on the Latest Updates page twice to three times per month (depending upon the length of the month, etc).

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Just as a procedural comment, you'd more likely get reliable advice by posting this in the dev subforum, opening a ticket for general support, or sliding into Hagatar or Count Morado's messsages...
No no no ... no sliding into my messages. Please.

But yes, Stalker Seducer, you have a dev badge and with that badge gives you the privilege to ask peer developers directly in the dev subforum (or search the subforum, first - because I know this question has been asked before in this public forum and I would be it's been asked multiple times in the dev forum, already).

EDIT: PS - speaking of promotion - your game has been posted for three days and yet you aren't promoting your own game in your signature. Perhaps you should replace one... or both... of the games in your signature with your own game and link to your thread.

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Recently i posted my game, and i noticed the rules talking about "not abusing the promotion system" but i don't really understand what promotion even is... also from what i do understand they don't want you posting spam updates to a game, so when am i allowed to update my game?
I think that question is better answered in the dev's forum (we have cookies. Just like hell), but it's just a measure to avoid devs pulling weekly, or faster, pseudo releases to stay on the first page. The promotion means being pulled to the first page of latest updates, being there means a LOT of views for the games there. It can only happen when major updates or releases are done.

Itch.io kinda does the same.

Reactions: Hagatagar

Stalker Seducer

Game Developer
Sep 22, 2021
Promotion is when a game shows up in the Latest Updates (it has to be put manually there by the uploaders as far as I know). The "not abusing the promotion system" is about devs who make small updates, just to stay in the Latest Updates all the time and thus could get a larger visibility.
But a game will only get a promotion once every other week anyways.
View attachment 3895634

You can update more often, it just won't get promoted every time.
Thanks for the info, i didn't even know there was a latest updates page... it is common for users to check it?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: KuClover

Stalker Seducer

Game Developer
Sep 22, 2021
No no no ... no sliding into my messages. Please.

But yes, Stalker Seducer, you have a dev badge and with that badge gives you the privilege to ask peer developers directly in the dev subforum (or search the subforum, first - because I know this question has been asked before in this public forum and I would be it's been asked multiple times in the dev forum, already).

EDIT: PS - speaking of promotion - your game has been posted for three days and yet you aren't promoting your own game in your signature. Perhaps you should replace one... or both... of the games in your signature with your own game and link to your thread.
Yeah... as much as i like teaching feeling it is probably unprofessional of me to be promoting other games without their creator's consent, now that i am a game dev.

Will also probably change my pfp, when i get a chance.

Stalker Seducer

Game Developer
Sep 22, 2021
I think that question is better answered in the dev's forum (we have cookies. Just like hell), but it's just a measure to avoid devs pulling weekly, or faster, pseudo releases to stay on the first page. The promotion means being pulled to the first page of latest updates, being there means a LOT of views for the games there. It can only happen when major updates or releases are done.

Itch.io kinda does the same.
So i can release updates as often as i want and it won't be a problem unless i ask for promotion?

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
So i can release updates as often as i want and it won't be a problem unless i ask for promotion?
You can put as many hotfix updates as you like (I did it one last week. I had to do a hotfix a week after I did my last major update) but only be put on the first page of Latest Updates when you do a major release.

I think they have a set rule of how much time you need to be between releases (I think it's 3 weeks?) but only the staff can answer that

Reactions: Stalker Seducer

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
it is common for users to check it?
Yes.

It's the third link in the main header of the site:
1722711529726.png

It's listed on the main page:
1722711561048.png

And the subforum is in the header of the Games forum:
1722711625862.png

It's so popular, that F95 has had to restrict the number of times a game can be listed in it.

Again, though, you should search the dev forum for "latest updates" to read what has been asked and answered --- and then if your question(s) not found, to ask there.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Hagatagar

Stalker Seducer

Game Developer
Sep 22, 2021
Yes.

It's the third link in the main header of the site:
View attachment 3895796

It's listed on the main page:
View attachment 3895797

And the subforum is in the header of the Games forum:
View attachment 3895800

It's so popular, that F95 has had to restrict the number of times a game can be listed in it.

Again, though, you should search the dev forum for "latest updates" to read what has been asked and answered --- and then if your question(s) not found, to ask there.
Huh... i always just use my link to the monster girl quest paradox page and then search what i want from there, guess i have always done things a bit differently from other people.

Goeffel

Sep 10, 2022
Thanks for the info, i didn't even know there was a latest updates page... it is common for users to check it?
LOL. that's a good one to close the day (well, night)

I remember "New Updates" being so horrible years ago that I never went back. It would always load bazillions of huge-ass gifs, blinking, fidgeting, screaming, ofc. not loading (bazillion of gifs= GB of data)

now it seems to be more civil, but I stuck with not going there. wonder for how many older-times users it might be the same.

But developing/ writing a game, on f95, and not knowing about latest updates - yeah, that is funny.
wear that with pride, you might be unique.

Huh... i always just use my link to the monster girl quest paradox page and then search what i want from there, guess i have always done things a bit differently from other people.
hm, yeah, MGQp is always good. more useful, keep a bookmark / opened tab for "games" , from there searching works with "search titles only".
Just somehow it does not work always ("oops, security problem, go back, refresh page and search again")

Last edited: