Converting G9F to G8F (G9 Dev toolkit?)

liguy79

Jun 9, 2018
Hello! I am trying to save disk space on my hard disk and save also RAM when rendering- so I decided to just to try if converting G9F to G8F is a potential solution. I found one Youtube tutorial where author says that with G9 Dev tools is possible to resize and convert characters directly between generations. I googled but I didn't found where this tool is available. EDIT: Found dev.duf in G9 Starter Kit. Will check if toolkit is available to use just with starter essentials installed.

Last edited:

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I'm looking at my files, and a daz file is 1-4 Megabytes, that's not very much. That because daz files only reference other data, such as 'uses texture X, and set shape Y to 50%,' any 4k texture used tend to be 14-19 megabytes. So you may have better results optimizing other things, such as cleaning up your library and installing only the resources you really use or like. maybe they are G8F resources, I know I stick to G8F because of all my sculpting I've done over the years.

Reactions: liguy79

liguy79

Jun 9, 2018
Thanks for your reply but I want to try use also G9 Characters. Instead of installing all new resources for G9 like hair and clothes I just try downgrade G9F and use G8F assets. Because to buy and download new assets will take more space and requires additional finances than using existing assets. I got this G9 Dev too, but seems like only after upgrading Daz Studio from 4.20 to 4.21. I will try if I succeed to achieve what I want.

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I don't think the goal of saving disc space is sensible if you actually are buying daz items.
A random look at the cost of single full price DAZ G9 figures means you are paying about 25$ each. For the cost of 4 x G9 figures you could buy a WDBlue 6TB storage drive.

However your other point about faster renders is valid. For this case, rather than trying to force g9 into g8f, you are better served to use the texture resizer tools like "scene optimizer".