Daz Converting PS4 characters to fit Daz3D G8F

BigTBorn

Jul 25, 2018
can anyone Convert game characters to fit Daz3D G8F if I have the files?
game Formats of the model to DSF for Daz3D
Formats of the model:: obj,fbx
Texture formats: tga,png
Types of textures: Normal Map Diffuse Map
Quality of the model: Low-poly

Last edited:

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
technically, its possible to convert .obj and many others 3D formats stuff into DAZ.
just to import the model them self and building the weightmap and all.

i cant do that myself. but i know for sure its possible for most .obj , .3ds, .fbx etc..

its the exact same concept as for clothes/outfit.

you can turn a whole character you imported into DAz into an "outfit" and use it on a gen8 char and turn gen 8 char invisible.
of course, like i mentionned, its not that easy because the "outfit" have to be adapted with weight and else.

soo yeah, totally possible. cant do it myself. but i hope someone can help you :)

Reactions: BigTBorn

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
can anyone Convert game characters to fit Daz3D G8F if I have the files?
Saying "convert to fit Daz3D G8F" doesn't exactly make sense, because the G8F character has a very specific mesh structure, so you can't replace its mesh with another mesh and have it still be a G8F.

As macadam indicates, it is definitely possible to create a completely new character that will work in Daz Studio, but you won't be able to apply any G8F assets (morphs, clothes, etc.) to it, because it won't "be" a G8F. To do that (as macadam said) the basic steps would be:
  1. Bring in the mesh
  2. Create a skeleton and size it appropriately so that the bones match the mesh. You could potentially do this by transferring the skeleton from a G8F and then resizing things as required.
  3. Create a weight map for the mesh to link the mesh to the bones. This is, by far, the most tedious part.
  4. Create material zones (i.e. separate surfaces) on the mesh using the Geometry Editor.
  5. Create Daz-format materials to apply your textures to the individual surfaces.
If, however, your goal is to be able to use G8F assets on the character, however, then your best approach would be to take the base G8F character and create a morph for it that reshapes the G8F so that it matches the shape of the PS4 character's mesh. To do that, the basic steps would be:
  1. Insert a base G8F character into your scene
  2. Turn the subdivision level for the G8F character down to "base resolution"
  3. Export the G8F character as an OBJ. (Do not export the eyelashes)
  4. Bring the G8F obj and the PS4 character obj into a package like Blender
  5. Using the modeling tools, move the mesh of the G8F obj around so that it lines up with the PS4 obj. While doing this, do not create or delete any vertices - all you should be doing is reshaping the existing mesh. (In Blender, you can superimpose the two figures, color them differently and put them on different layers to make this easier)
  6. When you have the G8F mesh adjusted the way you want, use the Daz Studio Morph Loader Pro to create a morph that reshapes the G8F character to the shape of your character. If the character's proportions are significantly different (e.g. taller, shorter, longer arms, etc.) you may also need to adjust the G8F skeleton a bit in order to make things line up correctly.
This is roughly the approach that artists use when creating new G8F characters. There are a lot of additional minor things to deal with - Joint Controlled Morphs to get the limbs to bend nicely, etc. - if you want a high-quality character.

I'm probably missing steps in each of the halves - I'm not a modeler. There are tutorial videos on Daz3d.com that describe how characters are built - they provide much more detail and all the steps.