Copyright and characters using Daz3d assets

BillP

Dec 27, 2017
Hello,

I was wondering how it works if someone wanted to use characters with similar likeness to characters from other VNs without using the same names or titles, would they be subject to copyright infringement?

For example, Lewdlab has a copyright for his games (midnight paradise, dreams of desire) but uses assets from Daz3d. Could I not use characters that look like characters from those VNs despite him not creating the 3d asset?

Just a note: I am not planning on even creating a game or VN of any sort, I was just curious of how copyright works for assets that anyone could buy and recreate but look the same as one from another game/VN.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
When you license a character model you can use it in your game, same as it would work with licensing music.
But of course it wouldn't be yours the same way a licensed music track isn't, all copyrights are still owned by the artist that modelled that character.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillP

BillP

Dec 27, 2017
When you license a character model you can use it in your game, same as it would work with licensing music.
But of course it wouldn't be yours the same way a licensed music track isn't, all copyrights are still owned by the artist that modelled that character.
So dumb question, would purchasing the character asset on daz3d, for example, be considered as getting a license for that character model?

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
So dumb question, would purchasing the character asset on daz3d, for example, be considered as getting a license for that character model?
In most cases yes.
For more details .

Reactions: BillP