Ren'Py CoreAudio exception

stOrM!

Sep 23, 2019
I womder if any developer here can show me a workaround for this problem.
Well on my MAC the audio chip is gone to hell for a few while I'm still able to play most Renpy games a few stopped working throwing a CoreAudio exception.
I wonder (I guess the root of the problem must be some Renpy SDK check's) if it's possible to disable those checks (if so where are they located?) I know that is only a temporary solution until a new update comes but better then nothing. Would be cool if someone can guide me to disable those audio checks.

Regards
s!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] (I guess the root of the problem must be some Renpy SDK check's) [...]
You guess wrongly. Ren'Py is just propagating the error it get from CoreAudio, that is the external Python(?) library it use for the audio part on MacOS.

So, it's not just the audio check that have to be disabled, it's the whole audio module. And like the audio module is also used to display the movies, you'll lost a lot.

stOrM!

Sep 23, 2019
So, it's not just the audio check that have to be disabled, it's the whole audio module. And like the audio module is also used to display the movies, you'll lost a lot.
Ok should this be the problem (and I have no doubt) in the correctness of your statement I wonder why most of the games work without problems?

So I suppose the problem lies with the developer or how he uses the audio module you mentioned?

So just an example:

Bring a Bottle of Wine - works
Sugar Babes Galore - exception
College Kings - worked before since version 15.1 it crashes
Zeno's Anthology - works

I have no idea about Python I program in other languages but what I do know is that it is better to program defensively (just assuming the sound is there is in my opinion the wrong way to program and then hope it doesn't crash).

This is like calling the exported function of a DLL and wondering what happens if the DLL is not there or if the exported function got a different name due to a system update.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Bring a Bottle of Wine - works
Sugar Babes Galore - exception
College Kings - worked before since version 15.1 it crashes
Zeno's Anthology - works
Open the log.txt file for each one (should be near the launcher even on MacOS) and look at it's third line ; it's the version of Ren'Py.
It's a wild guess, but I expect that the games that works have a version below 7.4.x ( or perhaps even 7.4.5) and those that don't a version above it.

Ren'Py is in the middle of a big rewriting, and it obviously also include the way it deal with audio. I presume that prior to this rewrite (or prior to this rewriting including the audio) it dealt with the audio part differently, or used an older version of coreAudio that was more lax with problems.

I have no idea about Python I program in other languages but what I do know is that it is better to program defensively [...]
It's, alas, not how Python programming works. Their "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" lead to this kind of problems ; for them, everything works correctly and accordingly to the best assumption, and if it don't they'll try to deal with the issue.

stOrM!

Sep 23, 2019
Open the log.txt file for each one (should be near the launcher even on MacOS) and look at it's third line ; it's the version of Ren'Py.
It's a wild guess, but I expect that the games that works have a version below 7.4.x ( or perhaps even 7.4.5) and those that don't a version above it.
The thing is mostly I download the PC version from here and compile the MAC version myself with the SDK because I always have problems with the MAC versions here, which are mostly not up to date or very often.
I have tried everything from the latest (including nightly builds) back to the SDK version 7.3.5 (which does not work for me) strangely now always comes the mentioned error of the CoreAudio why ever. So it seems that it is not the SDK version itself.

Seems more difficult than thought.
Well, my MAC needs to be repaired (the biggest piece of junk I have ever bought for a lot of money) then the problem should solve itself.

Still I have to say that even if much of the mood is lost the games should run without sound, everything else remains for me at least the wrong approach.

It's, alas, not how Python programming works. Their "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" lead to this kind of problems
Thanks god I don't have to code in Python ;)