Cover image

SinAppeal

Wings of Silicon
Game Developer
Apr 1, 2020
Hi guys,
what do you think is the ideal cover image for a game?
I welcome your suggestions

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Whatever shows your characters or shows what you want others to see from your game.

PotatoNinja

Nov 19, 2017
Treasures of Nadia has a really good tile when it shows up in the "Latest Updates" tab (AKA where I spend a disturbing amount of my day). Mythic Manor is another good one, its bright, shows off the characters, and catches the eye.

Now in terms of larger format stuff, I've always been partial to the stuff Designers Republic did back in the late 90's early 2000's, particularly the art for the Wipeout games. Very clean iconography, consistent design, and great use of whitespace.

Something I'd recommend being careful on is placing character art too close to the top/bottom of the image, as those tend to get cut off some. While on that subject, if you are doing a Renpy/RPGM based title, try to take into account that the bottom 20% or so of the screen is going to be obscured by a text box, so unless you want me prematurely wearing out my H key, don't put the action down there in crowded territory.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
It can seem obvious, but something that will make me want to click on the "start" button.

Which don't necessarily mean "all the girls", "naked girls", "sexy poses", and so on. An intriguing cover while have a better effect for me than a pure sexy one. Same for a cover that promise something that I'm seeking for at this moment ; like by example the cover for Babysitter ; the two girls submissively on all fours was enough (and in fact kind of false advertising).
There's so many games available, and I assume that your game will be WIP for some times, so you need to give us a reason to choose yours and follow it, instead of others games that would offer the same kind of content.