Daz Creating a specific effect with Sketchy in Daz Studio.

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
So I have a simple portrait scene:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I want to use to apply the following effect (litterally one of the example renders in the sketchy listing in the daz shop):
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

And I cannot for the life of me make it work. Everything I do turns the character's skin nearly white and has no apparent effect at all on cloak, gloves, and stockings. And the sketch effect is entirely absent. I've looked high and low for any kind of guide that might explain this, but all I found was a single youtube vid that demonstrates a completely different style and which doesn't even create that style for me when i follow the guide... just more washed out skin.

Help?

watdapakisdis

Aug 24, 2016
TBH, just use Photoshop or a freebie program like FotoSketcher. Those are better options compared to DAZ's Sketchy product.

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
TBH, just use Photoshop or a freebie program like FotoSketcher. Those are better options compared to DAZ's Sketchy product.
Part of the goal was to potentially reduce render times and memory requirements by eliminating some textures. It's a stylistic choice as well, but...

watdapakisdis

Aug 24, 2016
Well, if you really want to use it just remember the effect is dependent on the camera angle and the diffuse/base color of the surface. You will also potentially do more work compared to just pressing a button during postwork with a different program.

Use the content library. Just like old Iray products, Sketchy has terrible smart content support.
Go to Shader Presets -> DimensionTheory -> IrayToonShader

Sketchy revolves around using the DTTS - Iray Toon Shader Base. Apply this to all surfaces you want to sketchify EXCEPT for the eye surfaces. You can now use the other content of the five subfolders (Full Shaders, Solid Color Diffuse, Toon Diffuse Modifers, Toon Outline Modifiers, Draw Styles)

If you want to make the sketch effect visible on dark objects, you have to change the toon outline color (change from default black to gray or white) or change the diffuse color.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Reactions: slitherhence