Others Crisis Point: Extinction [v0.47] [Anon42]

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes

gemini20xx

Oct 17, 2017
First up is the gif here, which is a new hazard I worked on this week. The visuals are still very much incomplete, but essentially it's a hazard that warps you back to a certain location (usually the beginning of the room) if you touch it.
I remember seeing this kind of thing in a JRPG - can't remember the name though - I played decades back. Completely blank room, no clues, essentially an invisible maze which teleported you to the start with one step in the wrong direction. I don't think I've seen it in a metroidvania though, so I'm looking forward to seeing how you're going to implement it, Anon.

Challenge rooms are never very long, and they're always for optional rewards.
Wouldn't be a Metroidvania without annoying optionals, I remember nearly snapping my controller in half out of pure frustration trying to get one of the optional upgrades in Shadow Complex on the 360. It actually one of the things I was wondering about not being in the earlier builds, but I figured it'll be there eventually once more of it was made.

I actually think its against the rules of Metroidvania to NOT have at least one challenge room that doesn't make you want to break your controller and throw it at the TV in utter annoyance of trying to crack it, only to have to restart it so many times you lose count!

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I remember seeing this kind of thing in a JRPG - can't remember the name though - I played decades back. Completely blank room, no clues, essentially an invisible maze which teleported you to the start with one step in the wrong direction. I don't think I've seen it in a metroidvania though, so I'm looking forward to seeing how you're going to implement it, Anon.

Wouldn't be a Metroidvania without annoying optionals, I remember nearly snapping my controller in half out of pure frustration trying to get one of the optional upgrades in Shadow Complex on the 360. It actually one of the things I was wondering about not being in the earlier builds, but I figured it'll be there eventually once more of it was made.

I actually think its against the rules of Metroidvania to NOT have at least one challenge room that doesn't make you want to break your controller and throw it at the TV in utter annoyance of trying to crack it, only to have to restart it so many times you lose count!

Just for the record, these warp hazards will not be invisible - they will have a clear visual so you know where they are, and I'm going to try out having a visual representation of where they warp you to as well. If you've ever played Guacamelee, I recall some of their platforming challenges using the same concept of warping you back to the start if you touch a hazard, so you can try again right away. The intention behind the hazard isn't to be annoying or frustrating or anything of the sort, just to offer a way for me to design platforming challenges that can't be brute-forced by sacrificing HP to tank through hazards, because almost all of CPE's platforming challenges are like that right now.

Reactions: LostAtAnchor

SamWinters

Apr 1, 2018
You might be thinking of a room in Chrono Trigger's Tyrano Palace? There's a room with a bunch of invisible teleports in it, and the only way to clear it is trial and error.

My only comment on the implementation here is that it sounds like potential great fun... but ask that please please PLEASE have any particularly long platforming challenges have "checkpointing" where later warp hazards drop you at a midpoint instead of the start (you already said no requiring "flawless platforming for several minutes at a time" so I'm not too terribly worried).

Reactions: Anon42

Colono

Jun 16, 2020
I say give him freedom for his creativity it's his game, then when release test it and give a feedback.

nirakawa

Mar 2, 2018
i am stuck at the beggining of catacombs can someone plz help. i fell like i am in some kind of lavirinth

SamWinters

Apr 1, 2018
i am stuck at the beggining of catacombs can someone plz help. i fell like i am in some kind of lavirinth
The catacombs are cursed and non-euclidean until you push through and turn off the evil magic thingy. Just keep trying different paths until you get through.

Reactions: nirakawa

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
The catacombs are cursed and non-euclidean until you push through and turn off the evil magic thingy. Just keep trying different paths until you get through.
I will say there IS a way to know you're going in the right direction, so you don't have to wander aimlessly and try every path if you can figure that out!

SamWinters

Apr 1, 2018
I will say there IS a way to know you're going in the right direction, so you don't have to wander aimlessly and try every path if you can figure that out!
Does it have something to do with the torches? It felt like there was a secret I was missing with the torches, but I could never figure it out.

rplax

Aug 2, 2018
Hey anon just curious, what's the deal with those underwater twigs-with-bubble things in the lower deep soil? I see you can pop them but that seems to be all that happens.

JAvatar

Mar 9, 2018
I remember when they were first getting posted about. It's pretty much just an aesthetic thing. Giving the environment more life than just enemies.

Aerrae

Apr 26, 2020
How far are we in from 0.40? I just got a job a month ago or so, I'm trying to save my money but I'd like to grab the latest prototype sometime.

TakosMilGrau

Sep 25, 2018
So, I kinda forgot about this game because my work is consuming most of my time... Didn't do the promised melee-only run yet.
But I've started a new save on .41 for practice, and damn... The 1st boss is hella hard with melee-only
Died a bunch of times, could land only a few hits. Guess I'll need more practice.
I think I'll record my progress as well, wanna share the full boss battle, if I ever manage to beat it.

TakosMilGrau

Sep 25, 2018
So, I kinda forgot about this game because my work is consuming most of my time... Didn't do the promised melee-only run yet.
But I've started a new save on .41 for practice, and damn... The 1st boss is hella hard with melee-only
Died a bunch of times, could land only a few hits. Guess I'll need more practice.
I think I'll record my progress as well, wanna share the full boss battle, if I ever manage to beat it.
Lmao I just did it. You just need to be patient and know each pattern. Will upload it to YT and soon will post it.

TakosMilGrau

Sep 25, 2018
Update: Started a new save, this time not messing around, and yep, it's impossible to kill the Tar boss without shooting. To keep it in theme, though, I tried to break the smaller balls with the melee attack as much as possible.
Recorded 53 minutes of footage, from the start of the game up until when you first reach the catacombs. First boss only took three tries this time lol.
A good chunk of these 53 minutes is me being lost in the ruins, because it's been a while since I last played so I was not sure where exactly to go. Because of this, I don't know if I'll upload the footage or not, seems kinda boring to watch a dude going back and forth three times around the map. Didn't seen a single sex scene, so maybe I can upload it to YT, although I'm a little afraid of the pixel tiddies of the alien tribe. Maybe I'll upload it tomorrow.

TL;DR: so far it seems to be pretty possible to beat the game with melee only, Anon just needs to program the Tar's eye to be "hittable" by the crowbar. If he makes that in the next patch, I'm all up for a new run.

Also, two bits of criticism to Anon: the new wire shot? Awesome! Please make more puzzles around it, it is so much fun going Spider-Man through the stage when possible.
But I really think the new dash button placement is bad. Took me a while to figure out how to do the dash, and when I've found it, I've had a pretty hard time using it. If I upload the gameplay, you'll be able to see my confusion when I got the dash lol. Had to change the button layout so the dash is in the R1 button and the wire shot in the R2 button. I used to put the dash in the R1 button on MMX4, so this way it is more comfortable for me. If you can rethink the button placement for it, it would be nice.

Alas, I'm really thinking in pledging on Patreon. Always have been, since the first time I've played the public demo, but you know, 3rd-world country finnancial shennanigans, so spare money is short. But I'll do an effort. The project totally deserve it.

falafelswoop

Oct 4, 2019
Dev made an of interest:
due to circumstances out of my control, the Spooky Starlets CG and all related content will be leaving Crisis Point forever in v0.42. For the time being it will remain accessible in the public demo, but in future Patreon demos it will be removed permanently, as well as in any future public demos.
I'll try to upload a video of it or something before it's removed, but if you're interested in having access to that content for good, please make sure you get a download before then.
I don't know if the Spooky Starlets crossover content is the same stuff that's in the "2019 public demo", or if there's been more added since then. If there's been more added, it'd be good to make sure we have a build with the latest version of that content preserved.

Haven't seen a related announcement from Spooky Starlets developers, although I thought there was crossover content on their end too. Maybe it's just CP that is getting the shaft again.

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Dev made an of interest:

I don't know if the Spooky Starlets crossover content is the same stuff that's in the "2019 public demo", or if there's been more added since then. If there's been more added, it'd be good to make sure we have a build with the latest version of that content preserved.

Haven't seen a related announcement from Spooky Starlets developers, although I thought there was crossover content on their end too. Maybe it's just CP that is getting the shaft again.
The public demo contains all of the Spooky Starlets content that has ever been made for CPE, so as far as preservation goes that's all you'll need. I plan to take the 2019 public demo down eventually (when we have a newer public demo), but until then I'll be leaving it up as is. CPE content will also be removed from Spooky Starlets in the near future, not sure if/when they'll be making their own statement as I have no control over that.

Reactions: ohrunaway
4.60 star(s) 29 Votes