Ren'Py - Crown of Desire [v0.1.1 Public] [FIROKETA Games]

1. 4.00 star(s)

MidnightKing

Review for v0.1.0 Public.

The game coming from a dev with a large amount of experience under their belt, the pure quality of this lives up to the expectations I'd say. While I have some differing opinions that I'll get to, this is an extremely high quality game. A level you don't see too often in the AVN world. It has a lot of the supporting elements (renders, music, UI, etc) that make for a great AVN, too many to bother listing it. Suffice to say, a very solid foundation.

The throne usurped, a knight and his princess betrayed, and a nigh-hopeless escape into a long-term plan of revenge. It's a pretty classic start. The concept is this: Our princess has awakened some type of demonic(?) succubus-like powers that are essentially fueled by corruption. Our job as her knight? Use our enchanted dick to seduce and corrupt women to drain their mana and give it back to our princess until she's strong enough to take back her kingdom. Yes, it is a corruption game. It also plays like an RPG. We have stats, there's stat checks, and though not currently filled out, a sort of map with what I'm sure will contain lots of different paths at some point.

If you love corruption and darker themes/being the bad guy you're probably already loving this game. But say you're like me and enjoy taking the nicer routes, what does this offer? The game mentions being potentially driven by chivalrous love and saving the princess from her own corruption right? This is where the game gets a little shaky for me.

This is taking an unconventional approach to that sort of morality system. You start corrupted. A lot of the MCs dialogue is crude, sees women as his "victims" and honestly sounds like a creep who's about to commit sex crimes (which he doesn't seem above doing). I'll give an example: over the time skip we corrupted a tavern owner who the MC refers to as a mind-broken whore among other things. First thing we have her do is go stand in the window with her tits out all day for everyone to see.

It's off-putting to put it mildly for me. The dev mentions that there's plans for a route where you mellow out presumably from meeting future characters, but that sure as hell doesn't happen yet. Honestly I wouldn't even mind playing the bad guy given the situation, but I don't want sound like a sex criminal constantly on the prowl, which is kinda what's happening.

The MC has a mistress-servant relationship with the princess that's being done in a palatable way for me (i.e. not extreme). That being said, I'd want to see more from the MC than living purely to serve his mistress/princess. To be his own person a bit instead of a complete pawn. He expresses his desires to claim the princess when all is said and done, but what else? Right now I don't have an answer.

Of course this is still only the first version of the game and I know the dev has a lot of plans for the writing among everything else. Need to just let it play out more before I'm actually set on some of these opinions. My one real objective complaint is that the sex animations, as it tends to be with Daz games, are a bit lacking. The few scenes haven't felt as intimate or carnal as I'd want them to be.

I'd feel a little disingenuous if I didn't give some praise as well. The game captures this sort of darker fantasy aesthetic very nicely. The character models do look great (the princess is hot man) and all those non-sex scene animations are a great touch. Regardless of if this ends up being something for me or not, it's a game I think a lot of people will enjoy.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

blubluca

One of the highest quality first releases i've ever seen on this site! Renders and presentation (menus, UI) especially are top tiers, but the music, sounds, animations and writing also left nothing to be desired.

Obviously there is not much content right now, but the story seems promising and the background is fitting for a harem/corruption game, the dark medieval austhetics is one of my favorites and in this case is not like the usual cliche that we are used to in VNs.

Gameplay wise I was pleasantly surprised by the combat system, usually I'm not a fan of unnecessary combat but in this case the renders, sound and animations conveyed the experience really well.

Highly recommend for anyone looking for new gems, best of luck to the dev!
  3. 5.00 star(s)

cypeh

v0.1.0

First thing that is very noticeable is the good graphics and compositional aspects as well as effects used to create an interesting and fitting atmosphere for the setting of this game. This is continued throughout the gameplay so far and adds a good bit of extra. to the immersion. The UI is also well made and gives quick access to relevant sections while being clean and offering information for pretty much everything needed.

For world building there's already quite a bit of extra information to read for those who care about that. And it shows that somebody put some thought and effort into constructing and writing it. This also shows in the well written texts and dialogues, which feel believable and fluent.

Concerning the characters there's currently not too much to go on. The initial introductions and designs seem interesting and diverse. But there has not been enough chances so far to really make any educated guesses as to how they really play out and how much the player can steer the direction. Still personally I like most so far.

The game further incorporates some RPG'ish aspects in form of stats which you have to set in the very beginning and will influence results of action/combat and dialogue choices during the game. So far it's not clear if there will be any form of progression in that regard or not. Personally I like the approach of choosing my character's strengths and then applying them. The game supports that with how the choices are marked according to the traits with checks made behind them, giving the feeling of meaning to it.

Very promising and ambitious first release. I'll be sure to check out the next update to see how story and, for now mainly, characters and their interactions develop and play out.
  4. 4.00 star(s)

something123321

TLDR: Amazing first release, with one small isue for me.

The animations are a little meh, but the visuals, writing, and general story are all top notch.

I normally don't really enjoy the mistress/servant relationship in a male MC, but this one is done very well, with a clear give, take, and future prospects.

The only real gripe I have with this game so far is also the reason that I subtracted a star, and that is this: there's an 8 year time skip, but the MC's stats don't change at all in that time.
    It just seems nonsensical. I mean, no age was ever mentioned, at least that I remember, but the MC seemed about 16 at the start of the game, so eight years later, even if the MC didn't spend any time fighting or training in that time, which I doubt based on the story, he should have grown stronger due to age alone! Not to mention any training he surely did in those eight years!

Regardless, I think this game has the potential to be among the best on this site, so I'm looking forward to more.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

jacksamuelz

Good game so far!
    Strong visual, I also liked the UI and atmosphere a lot (the music was nice). I think this has some good potential, there is not many good medieval games out there, I'll be following the game closely.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Rodrigo87o

A good game, the only thing missing is being able to rename the mc, but I think it will be a much better game over time
    I liked the characters, they have a lot of quality
    :love:
    Um bom jogo so falta poder renomear o mc ,mais creio que sera um jogo bem melhor com o tempo
    Gostei das personagens tem bastante qualidade
  7. 5.00 star(s)

CallingforBooty

Crown of Desire 0.1

The Good:
    • Good looking UI​
    • The Renders are nice.​
    • Interessting Story.​
    • Flavor Choices (Insight, Deception, Knowledge etc).​

Between good and bad:
    • No MC Name Change​
    • Animation of the game are only ok​

The bad:
    • the game has too many stats at the beginning that you can skill before you are even in the game​

a good start for a new game with a few little things that bothered me.

So all in all a good fantasy AVN game to play