Curious about Honey Select

alexander3rd

AlexanderGames
Game Developer
Jan 28, 2018
Hi!
After months of reading, researching & playing around, I'm starting to develop a game. Would love to render the visuals in Daz, but opted for HS instead - because it's a massive timesaver, allowing me to spend the most time & focus on the story. Daz is a further goal, however, when/if I'll have a chance to upgrade my GPU (also curious, wether or not Nvidia will implement their RTX tech into Iray, and if so, how much faster it will be, compared to, for an ex. 1080Ti).
So for now, it's HS. What I wonder about, however, is - do people actually like this quality of visuals? Provided the story is enjoyable, of course.
Attached a screenshot of the main menu - the rest of the game will have the same quality of visuals. Please leave your honest opinions.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
That isn't bad. One thing to really avoid in HS is "same face" syndrome. I see a lot of people fail to really make their characters look any different beyond hair and outfits. Some of my favorite games these days are made in HS though, so as long as you make a good story, at least from the look of this one character, your game should be enjoyable.

alexander3rd

AlexanderGames
Game Developer
Jan 28, 2018
Thanks! I've modded the sky out of it, there's definitely some wiggle room to make things somewhat unique. The environments are a different story though, I'm sure the exact same maps have been used for VNs hundreds of times. There's some individual default assets for designing something simple, but that's about it. Although for a first & simple game, I think it won't be a problem.

Reactions: DarthSeduction

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
That isn't bad. One thing to really avoid in HS is "same face" syndrome. I see a lot of people fail to really make their characters look any different beyond hair and outfits. Some of my favorite games these days are made in HS though, so as long as you make a good story, at least from the look of this one character, your game should be enjoyable.
I agree there are so many face options even without using the widerslider mod or standard sliders, there is no need to copy what has already been done.

Reactions: alexander3rd

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
I agree there are so many face options even without using the widerslider mod or standard sliders, there is no need to copy what has already been done.
Oh, I don't even mean that. I mean that a lot of games seem to reuse the same face within the same game.

ilyo

Sep 6, 2018
It look fine as rendering go, but i would need to see more than one character leaning on this bed to say more.

About daz versus others, the more I play visual novel the more I like the ones that use honey select.
I was septical at first because I already know honey select, but the variety of characters people can come up with and my liking of asian design won.
I still like some great daz render but most aren't as spicy for me.

about the environments, if you played a good chunk of daz games you can see the same issue here too.
You can create environments in the honey select studio with modular but it take time.

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
Oh, I don't even mean that. I mean that a lot of games seem to reuse the same face within the same game.
Maybe we have our wires crossed, when I create girls for honey select, each one is individual form the face/hair/body etc.. So I do not copy what has already been done. For example

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Maybe we have our wires crossed, when I create girls for honey select, each one is individual form the face/hair/body etc.. So I do not copy what has already been done. For example
Yaeh, there's quite a bit of variation in most of those. Only one or two look all that similar, and it's not exactly the same.

alexander3rd

AlexanderGames
Game Developer
Jan 28, 2018
About daz versus others, the more I play visual novel the more I like the ones that use honey select
What I don't like about HS, is that it's a game, not a 3D software. We're just lucky they made a studio and modders are adding some fantastic functionality in it. Daz on the other hand, has thousands of pre-built models, scripts, plugins and a few dozen options for making something 'yours'. Its creative freedom can't be compared to HS. Plus, Daz even isn't a proper 3D modeling software, it's just a tool for using Daz3D pre-made models. I'd rather learn Blender & would model my own characters and environments, but for a VN, IMO - time is more important, than building something from scratch. Especially, when Daz already provides very high quality models. An exception could be Summertime Saga that's drawn by hand by the dev, but in his case, that's what makes it so unique.

May 22, 2017
I have the same impression, i don't know, the faces on HS are very strange and look always the same.

The only game made on HS that i like is mythic manor, because they made a very good job on each character and gameplay

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
I have the same impression, i don't know, the faces on HS are very strange and look always the same.

The only game made on HS that i like is mythic manor, because they made a very good job on each character and gameplay
Waifu Academy and Harem Hotel have pretty good quality as well imo.

alexander3rd

AlexanderGames
Game Developer
Jan 28, 2018
I have the same impression, i don't know, the faces on HS are very strange and look always the same
That's nothing surprising, there's pretty much only sliders available to play around with. We can't change the textures, nor materials in HS, and the base models are the same inside the game.
Personally, the game I'm writing will have probably 3 main characters, won't be hard to make them unique from one another. The rest will be generic ones, background people. My aim is to write a game that will act as a kickstarter for something more. Just to get the ball rolling, as I already know what is needed further.

Kuokaman

Dec 15, 2021
would love to render the visuals in Daz, but opted for HS instead
I see how this is a problem but I'll be sincere. I don't play games which have anime or cartoon-like graphic even if they have a great plot and choices. Surprisingly, my reason has nothing to do with the sex scenes bur rather with the fact that I can't really submerge myself in the game's world if I don't see human-like characters and realistic background.

Ianuda

Nov 14, 2020
I can't really submerge myself in the game's world if I don't see human-like characters and realistic background.
Wait, is Honey Select too anime for you? I'd consider it quite realistic, compared to others.

I'm not sure whether this necromantic ritual needs my support, but I will chime in -
1) I don't really care about realism vs stylisation;
2) realistic graphics more often are ugly than not;
3) stylised graphics more often employ fair skin and tasteful outfits.

I enjoy text-based games because ugly visuals are that distracting to me. And apparently, my aesthetic tastes are too uncommon. That said, I actually hate the Japanese drawings style (where the game is just drawings) - if drawings are to be included, I'd much prefer the Korean manhwa style... but yeah, the choice is usually not that wide.

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
I don't really enjoy realism myself. I don't want to see that cracked skin, wrinkles, or pores.
My preference would be
Screenshot_6.png
or
Screenshot_7.png

• Yay, new update!
  • Love
Reactions: T.G.R and Lerd0