Ren'Py Custom cursor slowdown

Playstorepers

May 24, 2020
Hello everyone,

I checked the forum and googled it, but there was no similar thread to be found.

If I choose the custom cursor with define config.mouse in the init the game becomes laggy.
Do I have to choose a certain image size/format or why is that?

It's a very small slowdown, but it really bothers me and if that's the case I'd rather have no custom cursor at all.
It also is worse for an animated cursor.

I was always wondering, why a few Ren'Py games don't use a custom cursor, but apparently some games make it work...

Thanks in advance for your answers.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Do I have to choose a certain image size/format or why is that?
Well, the image used for the mouse isn't sized, so I assume that you haven't used one that is too big, otherwise you would have seen that it's a problem.

It's a very small slowdown, but it really bothers me and if that's the case I'd rather have no custom cursor at all.
It take obviously a little more time to proceed a custom mouse cursor that to use the system's one, but not enough for it to lead to a sensible slowdown.
I mean, if Ren'py can pass from that to that
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
in real time without sensible slowdown, and it can on a recent computer, there's no reason for it to slowdown because it use a custom mouse.

Reactions: Playstorepers

Playstorepers

May 24, 2020
Hm...
Thanks for your opinion on that.

I can tell for sure, that there is a slowdown and when I restart the game without a custom cursor, the problem vanishes.

But at least, I now understand, why some games with even a bigger budget, are not using custom cursors.
Thanks again.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I can tell for sure, that there is a slowdown and when I restart the game without a custom cursor, the problem vanishes.
It's really surprising. I tried it, and didn't really felt a slowdown ; what don't mean that there isn't, just that personally I haven't felt it.
Perhaps is it more a question of perception than an effective problem. The usual cursor is pretty sharp, have strong angles, and is relatively small. Its move are more obvious for our brain, than they would be if it was looking like a big brick.

Reactions: Playstorepers

Playstorepers

May 24, 2020
hm... try playing a song and start a diashow at the same time.
I did to test it and by the end of a 5 minute song, we get out of sync by about 2 seconds.
That's pretty noticable, if you want to make a certain effect on the player.

But I just accepted, that a custom cursor is unnecessary.
It would just be a small cherry on the top, after all.
I thank you for your more experienced opinion on that.