CYOA game engine

89tasker

Jun 4, 2017
I am a beginner. No programming skills.
I want to build a story based game that limits the player's actions to specific choices that I give them.

After some research I think TWINE would be a good engine to learn.

Any opinions on this? Is there something better? easier?
What problems should I expect?

Reactions: AyToZed

redwind21

Aug 16, 2017
Choice Script is an interesting browser type CYOA game engine I'm trying out myself. Here's the link if you need it, and want to check it out.

Reactions: SlixStigma

Dracis3D

Game Developer
Nov 16, 2017
Choice Script is an interesting browser type CYOA game engine I'm trying out myself. Here's the link if you need it, and want to check it out.

Magma (Fight Club) used Choice Script, until they asked for a license fee as the game was on Patreon. I would stick with Twine, I actually think it is superior, you can make it look like Choice Script if you play with CSS

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
I am a beginner. No programming skills.
I want to build a story based game that limits the player's actions to specific choices that I give them.

After some research I think TWINE would be a good engine to learn.

Any opinions on this? Is there something better? easier?
What problems should I expect?
TWINE is also an engine that has a good outcome, but I've been told that it's a pain to learn and to code in.
Quest (found ) - not to be confused with QSP, A.K.A Quest Soft Player - is a pretty solid CYOA engine, and is fairly simple to use.

For a beginner, I'd recommend Quest. Here's a snippet from their website:
Quest lets you make interactive story games. Text adventure games like Zork and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Gamebooks like the Choose Your Own Adventure and Fighting Fantasy books. You don't need to know how to program. All you need is a story to tell. Your game can be played anywhere. In a web browser, downloaded to a PC, or turned into an app.
The documentation for Quest can be found .

Good luck with your game!

Reactions: Hank180