Tool DAIN_APP For Animations

kakihurify1

Aug 12, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to show you how you can make smooth animations from basically 3-4 frames.

It may not work under all circumstances, but I think it may be of some help.

You can use ezgif to *stitch* the interpolated frames together.

Dain_App (used to generate *inbetween* frames) : Only works with nvidia graphics cards at the moment

Rendering time for this example was one the order of minutes.

Example:

From View of the Family:

Before:

After:

It's Danny

Game Developer
Jun 9, 2021
I got an error. It tells me I don't have enough vram which surprises me. Sure 8gbis not top end but enough to create the renders, even in 4k but not to interpolate these renders in 1920x1080.
The error tells me PyTorch reserved nearly 5gb but I have no idea what that is. I never used nor installed it and I also kept sure nothing except Dain is running.
Screenshot_1.png
Has anyone else got similar memory error and could fix it?

AetherL

May 3, 2021
Yep, look for the panel : "Fix OutOfMemory Options" and chek the box : "split fram into section"

Maybe you're going to need to change the numbers too

WhitePhantom

Donor
Game Developer
Feb 21, 2018
I got an error. It tells me I don't have enough vram which surprises me. Sure 8gbis not top end but enough to create the renders, even in 4k but not to interpolate these renders in 1920x1080.
The error tells me PyTorch reserved nearly 5gb but I have no idea what that is. I never used nor installed it and I also kept sure nothing except Dain is running.
View attachment 1270204
Has anyone else got similar memory error and could fix it?
This happens to me even with my RTX 3090, there seems to be a work around if nothing else works though.

The way I've always managed to work around it, is in the settings get DAIN to break the scene back down into images instead of a video, and then I put the images together in Blender to create the video file.

So you give it your say 30fps animation. It spits it back out as a 60/90 etc fps version but in a massive stack of individual still images. Then you feed these into Blender at 60fps and now you have your 60fps animation from your original 30fps version.

It is a bit annoying but I've got it to work that way, despite the "running out memory" when I try and do it any other way. It is worth noting though DAIN is now out of date, and has been replaced by RAIN, from the same people, which is supposed to be much better, however I haven't tried it yet because I can get this work around to run.

It's Danny

Game Developer
Jun 9, 2021
hu? I didn't plan to create a video file. I have an image series and wanted to create addditional frames in between. I can then put those together in another program.
Maybe I used Dain wrong. What exactly is "Step 2: Feed source frames to Dain" supposed to do?

It's Danny

Game Developer
Jun 9, 2021
or I should better ask this way: If I have an image series, what do I do in Dain to create another image series out of mine but with twice the images (aka frames)

WhitePhantom

Donor
Game Developer
Feb 21, 2018
It depends what the output is.

Dain originally was supposed to be used to: Insert Video at 30fps, Output Video at 60fps.

I found inserting images caused the Ram problems, so I started inputting videos I'd made from images by combining them in Blender and then letting it export them as the images (and then you get 2x, 4x the images etc). That was the only workaround I could find to the problem you're getting.

I'd recommend trying RAIN though because they're supposed to have massively fixed the RAM issues with that, as RAIN is basically DAIN 2.0 and DAIN 1.0 was only ever an Alpha Release.

It's Danny

Game Developer
Jun 9, 2021
It depends what the output is.

Dain originally was supposed to be used to: Insert Video at 30fps, Output Video at 60fps.

I found inserting images caused the Ram problems, so I started inputting videos I'd made from images by combining them in Blender and then letting it export them as the images (and then you get 2x, 4x the images etc). That was the only workaround I could find to the problem you're getting.

I'd recommend trying RAIN though because they're supposed to have massively fixed the RAM issues with that, as RAIN is basically DAIN 2.0 and DAIN 1.0 was only ever an Alpha Release.
Do you have a link for RAIN? All I can find are weather rain stuff both here and with google.

WhitePhantom

Donor
Game Developer
Feb 21, 2018
Do you have a link for RAIN? All I can find are weather rain stuff both here and with google.
Sorry I'm being stupid, it is called RIFE, not RAIN.

this is the official link for it, I don't know if there's a free link somewhere I haven't used it, it is the same developer though and the successor to Dain.