Ren'Py Completed Damsels and Dungeons [v1.2.41 Remastered] [Amaraine]

3.60 star(s) 33 Votes

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
The changelog is public on the Patreon. (I checked, and it wasn't, so I fixed it.)
Thanks for that.

Also, you may want to improve your render quality so your scenes look more like this:

The lighting is very well done in the above scene. He probably has a ghost light on the ceiling pointing down. Then he has some ghost point lights where the candles are. You should never enable a camera light or have a light shooting directly at the scene from the camera, especially in a medieval setting. Medieval scenes tend to be one outdoor directional light while indoor lights are made up of point lights (candles, torches, candle chandelier, or ghost lights from daz studio store).

Here's an example of excellent lighting and skin shaders that are well done.

With skin shaders the trick is to get the subsurface scattering right, so the skin is somewhat transparent. Also, as you can see in both renders, the camera is never shooting light directly onto the scene from the camera.

Given your technical expertise with software development, you can EASILY master the concepts of DAZ Studio advanced rendering techniques (lighting & skin shaders).

I hope this helps, because your game concept is outstanding.

jahall

Feb 20, 2019
Thanks for that.

Also, you may want to improve your render quality so your scenes look more like this:

The lighting is very well done in the above scene. He probably has a ghost light on the ceiling pointing down. Then he has some ghost point lights where the candles are. You should never enable a camera light or have a light shooting directly at the scene from the camera, especially in a medieval setting. Medieval scenes tend to be one outdoor directional light while indoor lights are made up of point lights (candles, torches, candle chandelier, or ghost lights from daz studio store).

With skin shaders the trick is to get the subsurface scattering right, so the skin is somewhat transparent. Also, as you can see in both renders, the camera is never shooting light directly onto the scene from the camera.

Given your technical expertise with software development, you can EASILY master the concepts of DAZ Studio advanced rendering techniques (lighting & skin shaders).

Those two pictures are outstanding. Where do they come from? If it's a game, then I think it;s a game I would like to play. :)

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
Those two pictures are outstanding. Where do they come from? If it's a game, then I think it;s a game I would like to play. :)
i forget, but they're not from a game. download the images and reupload them to google images to find the source.

jahall

Feb 20, 2019
I've finally managed to complete all four goals, and enjoyed the scenes with Raphaelle and Azielle that this opened up. I left the pacification of the Rocky Hills until last. Weirdly, it was after my party had been annihilated in the final part of a 3-part battle at the Reavers' camp that the game announced that I had succeeded in my pacification goal, so there might be a bug there. On reflection, I suspect that I reached the goal after either part 1 or part 2 of the 3-part fight, but that there;s no provision for breaking off at that pont.

Amaraine

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
Thanks for that.

Those two pictures are outstanding, and point taken. I'm working on a better understanding of Daz lighting. I doubt I'll redo the current renders because that would take months and stall other development, but some of that should be reflected in the renders that I will make in the future. Thank you for your feedback.

Reactions: hakarlman

Amaraine

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
I've finally managed to complete all four goals, and enjoyed the scenes with Raphaelle and Azielle that this opened up. I left the pacification of the Rocky Hills until last. Weirdly, it was after my party had been annihilated in the final part of a 3-part battle at the Reavers' camp that the game announced that I had succeeded in my pacification goal, so there might be a bug there. On reflection, I suspect that I reached the goal after either part 1 or part 2 of the 3-part fight, but that there;s no provision for breaking off at that pont.
I'll take a look, but I think the code only checks to see if you've completed goals once you're back in town -- and dying is one way to get back in town. For the most part I think people who've defeated the lich king aren't going to have party wipes doing pacification, so hopefully this particular less than thematic feeling combination is rare.

jahall

Feb 20, 2019
I'll take a look, but I think the code only checks to see if you've completed goals once you're back in town -- and dying is one way to get back in town. For the most part I think people who've defeated the lich king aren't going to have party wipes doing pacification, so hopefully this particular less than thematic feeling combination is rare.
I'm sure that's true. But to defeat the lich king one sends out one's strongest party, whereas for pacification because you lose ground between forays one has to use all 12 of the girls on one's strength, and almost inevitably the three parties are going to vary in strength. (Incidentally I'm now playing Strange Gift, which is also an excellent game.)

Amaraine

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
I'm sure that's true. But to defeat the lich king one sends out one's strongest party, whereas for pacification because you lose ground between forays one has to use all 12 of the girls on one's strength, and almost inevitably the three parties are going to vary in strength. (Incidentally I'm now playing Strange Gift, which is also an excellent game.)
Good point. And thank you.

Aug 14, 2016
Hey Amarine, speaking of Strange Gift. Is it a bug or a feature that some locations don't get permanently cleansed when you reduce Evil to 0?

Evergrey

Aug 7, 2016
Is there a cheat to make it so these idiots can hit the broad side of a barn from 2 feet away?
90% of combat is ...
miss miss miss miss miss miss miss
there's a girl that uses snares and once the enemy is snared their dodge turns to zero or close to zero, also the hunter can mark the enemy decreasing their dodge

jahall

Feb 20, 2019
I think I've now done everything it's possible to do in the game with one exception: I haven't encountered the dragoness. I'm guessing that one of the lone women that one sees wandering around is a were-dragoness and will change form if attacked, but where will I find her? I'd guessed that it would be in the desert, but she hasn't turned up there.

Apr 21, 2018
I think I've now done everything it's possible to do in the game with one exception: I haven't encountered the dragoness. I'm guessing that one of the lone women that one sees wandering around is a were-dragoness and will change form if attacked, but where will I find her? I'd guessed that it would be in the desert, but she hasn't turned up there.
It's odd but she only shows up in the desert on rare occasions, that's a 1 in 4 out of 1 in 5 (1 in 20) chance and you'd have to have at least 3 encounters in the deserts to trigger her appearance. Also an actual oasis (the one that restores party hit point, not the mirage one) reduces the encounter counter by 3.

My personal experience has been that she only shows up in the desert if you manage to stick around in the desert for at least a dozen fights.

Also if you've already defeat her, obviously you won't encounter her again. But if you've already defeated the lich king, you won't be able to fight her even if you do encounter her.

Reactions: jahall

jahall

Feb 20, 2019
It's odd but she only shows up in the desert on rare occasions, that's a 1 in 4 out of 1 in 5 (1 in 20) chance and you'd have to have at least 3 encounters in the deserts to trigger her appearance. Also an actual oasis (the one that restores party hit point, not the mirage one) reduces the encounter counter by 3.

My personal experience has been that she only shows up in the desert if you manage to stick around in the desert for at least a dozen fights.

Also if you've already defeat her, obviously you won't encounter her again. But if you've already defeated the lich king, you won't be able to fight her even if you do encounter her.
Thanks. As I defeated the lich king long ago, I guess I'd better forget about her then.

Amaraine

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
Hey Amarine, speaking of Strange Gift. Is it a bug or a feature that some locations don't get permanently cleansed when you reduce Evil to 0?
Feature. Some locations have a special ritual that you have to do to keep them permanently cleansed.

Amaraine

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
Is there a cheat to make it so these idiots can hit the broad side of a barn from 2 feet away?
90% of combat is ...
miss miss miss miss miss miss miss
The base odds of hitting are 60%. A high dodge rating could reduce that up to 20%, but most monsters don't have much in the way of dodge rating. Being webbed reduces it a lot. Having a piercing weapon means that armor affects to-hit rather than damage, but at low levels nothing is going to affect you by more than 5%. Being higher level than your opponent will increase the odds of hitting, so the hit percentage tends to go up over time.

Reactions: nojszu
3.60 star(s) 33 Votes