Dating Minigame

NoTraceOfLuck

Apr 20, 2018
I'm working on a dating minigame for a game I'm making, wondering about thoughts anybody has, or ideas you have to make it more engaging. This is just mock-ups for now.

Features:
  • You will be required to sufficiently progress through the topics, without either 1: failing the date by making bad choices, or 2: failing the date by not progressing the relationship far enough.

• The dating minigame will consist of 4 phases. Not all dates will utilize all 4 phases. Some dates may branch extensively and some may be relatively linear with very few choices.

Your reward for completing the dating minigame will be:
  • CGs unlocked
  • Story progression

If you fail the minigame, you will be required to restart it until you can proceed, this will give the option to progress other paths or discuss new topics each time.

QUESTION PHASE

In this phase you will
  • Ask the character a question relevant to your current topic. You will have a choice between a series of topics, but certain topics will be considered too spicy if you havent progressed the relationship far enough and may fail when asked

q_asking_phase_doc.png

TOPIC PHASE

The topic phase will dictate the category of questions, answers, quizzes, etc... as you progress through the next part of the date. Similar to the Question phase, your ability to successfully raise a certain topic for discussion will depend on a number of things and may not be successful, or may result in the failure of the date

topic_phase_multi_doc.png

ANSWER PHASE

The answer phase happens when you are asked a question by your date. Your answer may affect the choices you have that follow. These answers generally will not have a single "right" or "wrong" answer but rather will be considered right or wrong in the context of the date and your current relationship

answer_phase_doc.png

QUIZ PHASE

Quiz phase is similar to Answer Phase, except Quiz answers generally do have a single correct or incorrect answer. These too will be used to progress your relationship with the character and affect the options available as the date progresses.

quiz_phase_doc.png

Reactions: DuniX

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
The problem with that is it doesn't really work as a Game Mechanic.

The results is going to ultimately be a dice roll based on the RNG with nothing much to change it. Adding Risk or not just shifts the RNG and Results and does not resolve anything.
So it's going to be a monotonous repetitive grind until you fill the relationship bar using the most optimal action you can take.

There is a reason you seem more abstract systems like in the case of Huniepop.

If you really wanted to make that work it would be far more Complex and Simulationist as they would have to React to your Input based on their Personality, current Mood and Emotions and complex and detailed Character State to get the right subtlety and depth to the interactions.
There is no current game in existence that I know that has achieved that yet, and I have been looking at this topic for a long time.

NoTraceOfLuck

Apr 20, 2018
Sounds like yakuza x nutaku games
I kind of want it to feel like a nutaku style game, except free and not filled with microtransactions.

I think nutaku games are often really engaging and good at getting the player hooked. They do it to make money, but I want to try and get that same hook without needing to charge money.