DAZ 3D - Help With Starry Night Skydomes

MajorGrimbly

Nov 6, 2017
Lately, I've been messing around with DAZ Studio, but I've hit kind of a wall and was hoping someone might be able to help me out. I can't seem to figure out just how to go about putting together a night scene. I can't seem to get any nighttime lighting or skydomes to load into the scene properly. I can use daylight skydomes without a problem, but nighttime stuff is driving me batty.

Most recently, I was messing around trying to use the skydomes, but once again, I couldn't seem to get anything working properly. Double-clicking doesn't load the skydome into the scene and I've even tried to render the scene - just in case it's there but not showing up in the editor - but the scenes just render with the grey-and-white checkered background that's there by default. I know that DAZ is fickle about what you've got selected when you're trying to add something to a scene and whatnot, so if anyone could offer me any advice, or even tell me what steps to take to actually get these Orestes skydomes to work properly, I'd be forever grateful.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Have you selected "Dome only" or "Dome and Scene" in "Environment" in "Render Settings" tab?

If Dome doesn't load automatically, you can set it in "Environment Map" (a button in "Environment" at "Render Settings")

Aeilion

Jun 14, 2017
Ok first you have to find the "render settings" tab. Normally in the left part of Daz.

At the top, make sure that the engine used is Nvidia Iray. Then you look below in the "Environment" part and you choose for the first option: "Dome and scene"

And normally the double click on the icon of the hdri Oreste should work this time.

The Hdri are not generated in the scene itself, it is a Dome that exists around the scene. To turn it you have slides in this tabs "environment". You can also adjust the intensity etc ...

And you can only see it when rendering or by choosing the iray option for the viewport. (Unless I do not know things, which is often the case)

MajorGrimbly

Nov 6, 2017
Cool. I'll give that a try and see what kind of results I get. Thanks a lot you two! :)

Edit: Aaaaaaaand boom goes the dynamite. Worked like a charm. Much appreciated. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Porcus Dev

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
There's a thread in the Daz forums about creating night scenes:
It's a really good technique. Basically, you light the scene as if it was day, and then fiddle with the camera settings to make it look like night, just the way they do in the movies. Keeps iRay from being pissed off about low light, but still gets the job done. I'm working on something with a number of outdoor night scenes, and this has been a godsend.

Reactions: karagan91