Daz 4.11 Denoiser bug

Darth Bane

May 2, 2018
Wondering if anybody else has encountered this problem with the Daz denoiser:
Every now and then a render will fail to denoise the image. I'll have the same settings for a bunch of renders, but one will fail, no matter how many times I try it. Tried setting the denoiser at different iterations as well, no luck. Just keeps chugging along. Any ideas what might be the problem?

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
I had some problems with denoiser too but it was about when the denoiser would start working;
I had it set to start denoising at 10k iterations but some renders would require way more iterations to finish render and I was getting blurry images, and some renders would require less than 10k iterations to be done that would make the denoiser never kick in.

I don't know if is possible to configure the denoiser to do its thing after the render is done doing iterations but now I use post work to remove noise.

Maybe have a look at when is your denoiser is kicking in, I mean the number of iterations compared with the specific render iteration needs.

Reactions: Darth Bane

TBarGuy

Mar 2, 2018
I'm having the same problem. It worked earlier this morning on some spot renders. Now with the same render settings, it is not denoising at all. I just downloaded the Intel OIDenoiser that was linked . It's a command line tool, but it looks promising. I finished a test render a few mins ago at 900 iterations just to see, and the denoised output looks pretty good. Not as much detail as I would get with more iterations, but at least there is no noise.

Darth Bane

May 2, 2018
It usually works for me. It's just every now and then, a scene won't denoise. Weird stuff. Can't figure it out.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Look at your log file and look for a Warning that says something like denoise requested denoise not available on CPU
then look up for another warning that says, GPU has used its memory falling back on CPU.

Its not in those exact words but it happens to me now and again.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I just downloaded the Intel OIDenoiser that was linked . It's a command line tool, but it looks promising. I finished a test render a few mins ago at 900 iterations just to see, and the denoised output looks pretty good.
Tried few a days ago, both the Nvidia and Intel one, and got really bad results. It denoise that's for sure, but erase way too many details. Not sure if it's related to PNG, didn't have time to test with JPG yet.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
It usually works for me. It's just every now and then, a scene won't denoise. Weird stuff. Can't figure it out.
The denoiser requires a lot more VRAM. If the software detects that you do not have enough VRAM to render a scene with the denoiser enabled, it will be disabled automatically. A 'soft-fallback' to 'normal' Iray so to speak. I'm not sure this 'soft-fallback' appears in the log-file (Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File)

(This has nothing do with the CPU-fallback when the scene won't fit into the VRAM at all.)

DillionWhore

Sep 30, 2018
Hmm i have copious amounts of all sorts of RAM.
Yet an hour render was pretty noisy.. i have a NVidia denoiser (version 6.5) set up and just do it manually.
I think i will just stick to it.

Lewdpanda95

Sep 9, 2018
I don't know if is possible to configure the denoiser to do its thing after the render is done doing iterations but now I use post work to remove noise.
Check the denoiser as available but don't enable it yet, if you render in a new window open the tab on the left. It is a bit hidden if you don't know what I mean I can post a screenshot. Here you can enable the denoiser and change more post-processing settings. If the render is already finished enable it and resume the render. If you don't like the result change it back.
In the render settings you need to have Draw Dome enabled for it to work, even if you don't see the dome.
As far as the other settings in that tab go, be aware that changing the Firefly and Pixel filter will restart your render.

Reactions: DillionWhore