• Search is back up, but the index is being rebuilt, there may still be some minor problems until this is complete.

Daz 4.20 issue

Sep 16, 2019
I've never had a prob with updates before so I charged in blindly and updated to 4.20. Now, while I can still select items via the scene tab, I can't select anything at all through the main viewing port.

Is it a Daz issue or am I missing something? Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry, now it's working again however ghost lights aren't.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019
Nah, not having any luck with the fix. It's more than likely me, I'm kinda new to all this but I've followed everything on the post (I think) but not happening for me. Thinking I might be best off just going back to 4.16 :(

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Nah, not having any luck with the fix. It's more than likely me, I'm kinda new to all this but I've followed everything on the post (I think) but not happening for me. Thinking I might be best off just going back to 4.16 :(
That's how it works basically :

Open a new scene and load any char.
Then in menu, Create>New Primitive :

RmPyXjHUnV.png

Place your plane as it was your light :

DAZStudio_c3JRBQRIwC.png

Select your plane, and go in the surface tab to make it emit light :

DAZStudio_nhR1iCVNEc.png

Run the script on your plane (apply fix):

Xiubfxdtzz.png

Restart the Iray preview to see the change :

DAZStudio_zchin10NKL.png

You should have those options on the parameter tab with you plane selected :

DAZStudio_V0vmBYP4AX.png

Sep 16, 2019
Brilliant. I was using an Iray Ghost Light Kit which it didn't work on. As soon as I set up the primitive it was all good. Thanks heaps for taking the time to help me out here and walking me through it, good karma to you buddy (y)

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Brilliant. I was using an Iray Ghost Light Kit which it didn't work on. As soon as I set up the primitive it was all good. Thanks heaps for taking the time to help me out here and walking me through it, good karma to you buddy (y)
Np. If you have old scenes using "old" ghostlights, reset to 1 the cutout opacity (set generally to ~0.0000001), before/after running the "fix" script.

DAZStudio_Zz3JPPs5OJ.png

function2020

May 20, 2020
That's how it works basically :

Open a new scene and load any char.
Then in menu, Create>New Primitive :

View attachment 1662066

Place your plane as it was your light :

View attachment 1662067

Select your plane, and go in the surface tab to make it emit light :

View attachment 1662073

Run the script on your plane (apply fix):

View attachment 1662078

Restart the Iray preview to see the change :

View attachment 1662080

You should have those options on the parameter tab with you plane selected :

View attachment 1662082
sorry, I don't understand what happened, why should apply that 'fix', what's the problem for any emission plane or ghost light before apply it?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
sorry, I don't understand what happened, why should apply that 'fix', what's the problem for any emission plane or ghost light before apply it?
"GhostLights" used to work like that, it's a primitive that emit light with very very low opacity that make it invisible.
New Iray change from Nvidia, to be more physically correct, make it that light is now multiplied by opacity value.

So lets say your old GhostLight is 100000 lumens value with an opacity of 0,00001, your effective lumens value is now equal to 1 (you can hardcore crank your lumens value but you will more likely create noise & artefacts). In order to prevent that, the "fix" add 2 Iray propreties to the primitive; one making it a , the other making it invisible to primary rays. Result is the primitive is still nearly invisible with an opacity of 1.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019
Np. If you have old scenes using "old" ghostlights, reset to 1 the cutout opacity (set generally to ~0.0000001), before/after running the "fix" script.

View attachment 1662296
OK, so the Ghost Light cutout opacity set at 1 was too opaque to let ambient light through from an HDRI background. After messing around with it a bit I've reduced the opacity down (to 0.4 atm) which lets the HDRI light through but I've had to bump the GL luminance up to compensate (800000.0). It seems to me that the fix hasn't really worked even though I've checked both the new additional settings and they both look to be correct. Now my render times are through the roof. I'd been working on a series prior to updating DS and trying now to match the lighting I'd been using previously. Perhaps I'm missing something here.

This was the original lighting, HDRI through the window on the left and GL inside the window for a bit of fill also from the left. Previously I could pump out a render of sufficient quality in around 40 mins, now, after more than an hour, the render progress hasn't even moved.
Anastasia Garden Window Seat 014.png

Any input would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Last edited:

function2020

May 20, 2020
OK, so the Ghost Light cutout opacity set at 1 was too opaque to let ambient light through from an HDRI background. After messing around with it a bit I've reduced the opacity down (to 0.4 atm) which lets the HDRI light through but I've had to bump the GL luminance up to compensate (800000.0). It seems to me that the fix hasn't really worked even though I've checked both the new additional settings and they both look to be correct. Now my render times are through the roof. I'd been working on a series prior to updating DS and trying now to match the lighting I'd been using previously. Perhaps I'm missing something here.

This was the original lighting, HDRI through the window on the left and GL inside the window for a bit of fill also from the left. Previously I could pump out a render of sufficient quality in around 40 mins, now, after more than an hour, the render progress hasn't even moved.
View attachment 1663884

Any input would be greatly appreciated, cheers.
did you try to go back to your origin settings, and just multiply the lumina for 1000 times? This is the Ghost Light 2 author's plan to modify his product.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Seems like the script was updated. That said can't really help much as I'm in rendering queue, and don't really use ghost lights. Imho the problem with cranking luminance to such high numbers is how prone it gonna be to fireflies, could be wrong but I'm skeptical. Maybe refraction index/weight set to 1 could help to remove some generated shadows by the not so invisible GL.

Sep 16, 2019
Seems like the script was updated. That said can't really help much as I'm in rendering queue, and don't really use ghost lights. Imho the problem with cranking luminance to such high numbers is how prone it gonna be to fireflies, could be wrong but I'm skeptical. Maybe refraction index/weight set to 1 could help to remove some generated shadows by the not so invisible GL.
Thanks, I'll try that too. Perhaps I've just become too reliant on GLs and a shake up will do me good :unsure: