Daz Art Conundrum

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
Here's my dilemma.....
Currently in pre-dev with a game of my own (although I may end up using the story for a novel instead)
I've been using DAZ.... been fiddling around with it for a few years, on and off, and plan to use it to make the art for the game
However, when I started I was using Genesis 2 models....and there are some G2 characters I really like and I sued to make my own characters in the past.

Now, I'm starting to work on the trailer and demo for a game......but I'm torn. On one hand, I feel like I can now get more stuff for Genesis 3 and 8 (which, of course, also have many nice models)..... so I should probably just use those for the whole game (they're also mostly compatible, or have compatible resources, while Gen 2 characters are less easy to combine with other models, wardrobe items, etc).
But, I feel bad about not using the 2-3 Gen 2 characters I really like............ despite worries they might make my work harder later on (when I eventually switch to G3 and G8 anyways)

any thoughts?

Deleted member 444674

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2018
I'd advise going with what you like the most. It would make the experience more enjoyable for you. Your enjoyment is the most important thing here. I've seen artists find a way using Gen 2 as well as Victoria 4 characters up to this point. People like Max Smeagol come to mind, who I believe uses Gen 2 for all his comics, then you got all the artists tied to Y3DF who I believe all use Victoria 4 models.

Just because Gen 3 and 8 are newer, you shouldn't feel obligated to use them just for that reason. So yeah, my advice is to use what you like the most out of all the gens so far. But I'd still explore a bit, just so you don't feel left behind. So I'd go for enjoyment factor, which is easier for you at this time, and still experiment with newer versions just in case you'd like to change up at some point.

Hope I helped a bit :)

Reactions: MrBree and Niteowl
Aug 2, 2017
Genesis 8 is definitely the way to go when it comes to compatibility and content. Are there specific characters you like and if so could you link me them? i might be able to make g8 character morphs for them that you can use with all the g8 content

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
Genesis 8 is definitely the way to go when it comes to compatibility and content. Are there specific characters you like and if so could you link me them? i might be able to make g8 character morphs for them that you can use with all the g8 content

the two characters I like the most are Lotus (a character for Aiko 6) and FW Lin......
here's a link for Lotus

Lin, for some reason, I can't find anymore (I bought her a few years ago, she's a Fred Winkler art model)
However, I found another character by the same artist who is basically the same (maybe the artist added more make up options and renamed the model? not sure)
here's a link to the improved version of Lin (looks identical to my old model to me but with more makeup options)

Those two are my faves but I suppose a third one I was hoping to use is this one

Of course I really appreciate your offer to make equivalent morphs for me and it would be great..... but you're being too kind man. If it's too much work don't worry about it.....but if you or anybody else know of similar models to the ones I like for G8 or G3 (they seem to be fairly compatible) feel free to let me know. Maybe I can try to modify them and make them more similar to my cuties. Here are some images of all 3.

Aug 2, 2017
the two characters I like the most are Lotus (a character for Aiko 6) and FW Lin......
here's a link for Lotus

Lin, for some reason, I can't find anymore (I bought her a few years ago, she's a Fred Winkler art model)
However, I found another character by the same artist who is basically the same (maybe the artist added more make up options and renamed the model? not sure)
here's a link to the improved version of Lin (looks identical to my old model to me but with more makeup options)

Those two are my faves but I suppose a third one I was hoping to use is this one

Of course I really appreciate your offer to make equivalent morphs for me and it would be great..... but you're being too kind man. If it's too much work don't worry about it.....but if you or anybody else know of similar models to the ones I like for G8 or G3 (they seem to be fairly compatible) feel free to let me know. Maybe I can try to modify them and make them more similar to my cuties. Here are some images of all 3.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the morphs from g2 to g8 like i can with g3 however im looking for characters that look similar.

This one looks very similar to nikki

With a bit of tweaking this can look pretty close to lotus

These have similar facial structures to simona

If you play around with the morphs you can get them to look pretty close to the original characters, if not better

Reactions: Niteowl

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the morphs from g2 to g8 like i can with g3 however im looking for characters that look similar.

This one looks very similar to nikki

With a bit of tweaking this can look pretty close to lotus

These have similar facial structures to simona

If you play around with the morphs you can get them to look pretty close to the original characters, if not better
ok man, sounds good, thanks again for your help, much appreciated
I'll look at the links and see what I can do....

I have a question though...... what do you mean exactly when you say that you can get 'morphs from G2 to G3'?
I'd never heard of something like that.
Actually if I could turn those models into G3, or morph G3 to look like them, that would help a lot, because a lot of stuff nowadays is compatible with both G3 and G8 (at least, most of my favorite assets can be used with both...I will definitely use both G3 and G8 models for my renders).

Edit
I looked at the links.
I was looking for a similar model to Nikki last night and I also thought Sonnet was pretty close.... Maybe the eyes could still use a little work but she's pretty close. Guess we have a consesus on that one.
And great call on Salem. I hadn't noticed her when doing my search, but yeah, not perfect but pretty close.... as close as I can get in the 8 series anyways, I guess.
Not sure I find the three replacements for Simona as close, but it's not a big deal. Lotus and Nikki are my priorities anyways.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017
ok man, sounds good, thanks again for your help, much appreciated
I'll look at the links and see what I can do....

I have a question though...... what do you mean exactly when you say that you can get 'morphs from G2 to G3'?
I'd never heard of something like that.
Actually if I could turn those models into G3, or morph G3 to look like them, that would help a lot, because a lot of stuff nowadays is compatible with both G3 and G8 (at least, most of my favorite assets can be used with both...I will definitely use both G3 and G8 models for my renders).
I cant convert the character models over to genesis 3 the way i can convert genesis 3 to genesis 8 since genesis 2 has different typology. However i have a script that can convert genesis 3 characters to genesis 8 since they are similar.

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
I cant convert the character models over to genesis 3 the way i can convert genesis 3 to genesis 8 since genesis 2 has different typology. However i have a script that can convert genesis 3 characters to genesis 8 since they are similar.
I see, ok, I got it. Thanks for the clarification and thanks again for your help.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
there are scripts for gen2 to gen3 aswell, and I wouldn't say that g8 is the way to go. G3 still has more content and there's tons of stuff for g3 that is compatible with g8 and vice versa. The few differences between g3 and g8 don't make it worth it imo.

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
there are scripts for gen2 to gen3 aswell, and I wouldn't say that g8 is the way to go. G3 still has more content and there's tons of stuff for g3 that is compatible with g8 and vice versa. The few differences between g3 and g8 don't make it worth it imo.

Where can I find scripts to change Gen 2 to Gen 3?

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Where can I find scripts to change Gen 2 to Gen 3?
You could try GenX2 + addons, you can find it here in the forum, but I would grab the original, the cracked one doesn't work properly. is a nice tutorial (fourth post) on how to use it.

Reactions: Niteowl

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
You could try GenX2 + addons, you can find it here in the forum, but I would grab the original, the cracked one doesn't work properly. is a nice tutorial (fourth post) on how to use it.
thanks man, I'll have a look and see if I can figure it out