DAZ: Convenient way to save multiple shots of a scene?

Zavijava_

Oct 19, 2020
Just starting on Daz here, sorry for the noob question. I'm rendering a scene in Daz Studio (4.12) and it has multiple shots where the characters move, shift positions, etc. My question is, what's the best way to save this scene (In case I want to change/re-render it later)?

I tried saving each shot as a completely separate scene, but that gets cluttered fast (and if I wanted to change something in the scene and rerender the shots, I'd have to change it the same way in every shot).

I tried having multiple versions of each character hidden in the scene, but they each take up their own memory and after setting up a few shots I can't even load the scene anymore.

I tried storing the shots as keyframes, but no matter what I do, my changes to someone's pose in one keyframe "bleeds through" to other frames - I haven't found a way to make the keyframe store everything so it doesn't get changed later.

Devs who set up scenes like this - how do you save them? (Or do you just render and forget, and hope you don't have to remake them later?)

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I dont know if this would work in DAZ (not a big DAZ user) but in Blender I use the keyframes to save multiple shots of a scene. The key is to make the frame atleast a couple frames long as in set up everything on for example frame 1 and frame 4. Then you shouldnt get any bleed through in the frames in between.

Zavijava_

Oct 19, 2020
I don't think it has to do with the number of intermediate frames between keyframes - it's to do with changing a pose on frame 3, that then gets interpolated between frames 1 and 3 (modifying frame 2). Like, if I have a slider for a facial expression that I didn't use at all until frame 3, when I slide it up in frame 3, it will bleed back to frame 2 since frame 2 doesn't explicitly say that that expression's slider should be 0. Or if I shift a character's pose in place in frame 2, but move her in frame 3, the movement of her transform gets interpolated between frame 1 and 3.

I think that's what I need - a way to make a keyframe that stores explicit values for absolutely every transform/expression/pose slider I have, even though most of them will just stay 0 in every keyframe.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
I simplify everything. When I make a scene that has multiple whatever's, I make folder where the renders go called scene inside, and I make another folder for the DAZ saves call the same name. I then save each scene as I go in that folder simply named 1, 2, 3 ,4 etc and name the the renders in the render folder the same 1, 2, 3, 4 etc, so the folders and the saves and images all match up.

Zavijava_

Oct 19, 2020
So, each shot in a separate file. That doesn't seem ideal, but it may be the way I have to do it. Thanks!

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
So, each shot in a separate file. That doesn't seem ideal, but it may be the way I have to do it. Thanks!
No its far from ideal, but it's the easiest way I found yet or I get the same thing as you, scenes that won't load.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I don't think it has to do with the number of intermediate frames between keyframes - it's to do with changing a pose on frame 3, that then gets interpolated between frames 1 and 3 (modifying frame 2). Like, if I have a slider for a facial expression that I didn't use at all until frame 3, when I slide it up in frame 3, it will bleed back to frame 2 since frame 2 doesn't explicitly say that that expression's slider should be 0. Or if I shift a character's pose in place in frame 2, but move her in frame 3, the movement of her transform gets interpolated between frame 1 and 3.

I think that's what I need - a way to make a keyframe that stores explicit values for absolutely every transform/expression/pose slider I have, even though most of them will just stay 0 in every keyframe.
No I didnt ment it like that. You set a scene up and store it at frame 1 and 4 for example. The same exact scene. Atleast in blender frames 2 and 3 don't have any bleed through as nothing changes between frame 1 and 4.