Daz face/body morph dialing tips for creating male character stereotypes?

Feb 3, 2020
I am curious what morphs can be dialed up or down to make a Daz character more a stereotype casting (afraid to ask this on Daz forum as it certainly will get flamed).

Crabbe and Goyle in the Harry Potter movies are what I was thinking when looking for character ideas. Big, dumb, fat and mean. The few overweight Daz characters are good examples of PA stereotype sculpting them but they are not what I am looking for. The new Fred 8.1 is more a overweight comic relief type and George 8 is too much an authoritative figure. Also youth seems to play a part as well. It's easier to cast a teenager or young man that's big and fat into a bully than an adult that's big and fat. So what makes Fred 8.1 not mean and George 8 not dumb?

Other than this specific example I also welcome any tip on morph dialing other character stereotypes. Just males please, Daz has enough female characters.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
This is an interesting question.

I don't have an answer for you but I think it could lead to interesting discussion.

As far as I understand it, the various slider's that are available (both default, and those included in something like the "200-plus head and face morphs for G3M" ( )) or similar... they tend to have a limited to scope to significantly change a model's look.

Most morph sliders simply take a subset of a model's vertexes and moves them linearly interpolated along some simple transform created in a program like blender. For example, scaling a forearm radially from the centreline to simulate weight gain. More advanced models might have more subtle differential displacement of the vertexes.

But it remains that generally the basic shape of the model does not really change much. In fact, to get to something that is very different such as Michael8 -> George8 there is a huge amount of remodelling required, to the extent that the changes are packaged as one unit, instead of useful individual morphs like "fat neck", "pudgy cheeks", "hanging jowls" or "squinty piggy eyes".

Can I turn the question back onto you...?
- What have you tried with morphs to get a "crabe and goyle" look?
- what about the result you got is dissatisfying?
- can you share any sample renders?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
In most situations, you'll find that most people aren't what they look. You could look at someone like Zachary Quinto and immediately say he isn't gay when he in fact is. Whereas you can look at someone like Shawn Mendes and say with some level of confidence that he's gay (more based off the appearance than anything else) when he obviously isn't. You see someone with a ton of piercings and tattoos alongside someone bare of either. Who would society see as the one who most likely spent his life in prison? The former, of course. But that's little more than societal and/or sociological stereotype. There is no end all, be all of a certain type of person. Just like how every school shooter isn't a spoiled, white rich kid. Just like how every drug dealer isn't a black kid trying to make money for his struggling family. The whole smoke and fire argument of stereotypes aside, there's no one mold.

But generally speaking, the eyes are usually what tell a story about a person/character. Especially in animation. For example, see Crabbe against someone like Chris Farley. You sort of feel something a bit angrier in Crabbe's eyes. Whereas you see Chris Farley, at least in movies, you see something/someone a bit gentler. Again, animation doesn't have the luxury of time to focus on the definition of facial bones or something of that sort, so they tend to lean heavy into the eyes. Anime, specifically, is one field where you see a fair bit of this. A bit of an extreme example would be Eren throughout the Attack on Titan series. You see him grow angrier/more dead inside throughout. And they made sure to put emphasis on it at points throughout.

ex.png

In the sense of Daz, your best look is going to be to experiment with expression dials/partials, and sometimes mixing multiple. Specifically, the Upper/Lower variety of expressions, which are less common than they should be. No matter the expression, you never want to dial them up to a 100%. They hardly ever look good. 40%-60% is usually the golden area, but sometimes it's even lower. If you want the character to have a mean look, then you can either look for a figure/model that has an intense look in their eyes or give them a low-dialed angry/frustrated/etc. expression at 20-25% or so. Then play with weight sliders, if needed. are particularly good, imo. If you like one part, you can go into your 'currently used' tab and adjust the mouth/eyes/etc as needed.

Edit: Forgot about Zev0's pack: (they also make them for G3, as well, iirc.). SY also has a . Some good stuff.

Feb 3, 2020
osanaiko - I mess around with Fred 8.1 and George 8 only because I couldn't dial fat face and/or double chin out of other characters. In the end I started looking at their default looks and tried to figure out why can't I make Fred mean and George dumb. I did find an article that says most cartoon villain faces have triangle lines because humans react more positively to round and square shapes but not triangle.

MissFortune - I think you are right. Body language and demeanor are definitely more important than the shape. Anime and cartoons cannot project complex facial expressions and subtle body movements so they make the evil characters with narrower and smaller eyes for that always angry/scheming look. The eyebrows, eyelids and corners of the frowning mouth form a downward triangle while round eyes and smiling mouth form a circle.

What makes a character looking stupid though?