Daz Favorites Won't Display

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
I recently had a problem with my interface so I reloaded my Workspace layout to get it back. Well, it loaded in an older layout and as a result, my Favorites folder is now empty! Well, it contains the folders I made inside of it, but they aren't showing anything inside of them anymore. When I pressed F3 and checked Custom, all my Favorite entries were still there. I have no problem redoing it from scratch, in fact, I have been thinking of that, but in that case, I can't see how to remove the empty folders that are in it, let alone restore the contents of them.

Does anyone have a clue as to how I can make the Favorite entries re-appear or, to just erase everything in that folder so I can start fresh?

I love the favourites, but man, it has to be one of the most convoluted and frustrating things to edit. Also, while I am on the subject, I would like to backup my favourites, which file do I need to save to do that?

Thanks in advance.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Okay. My Favorites list is messed up and it looks like I will have to rebuild it. I learned a couple tips on doing this I didn't know about that I thought I would pass on. Even if you don't have them messed up at all, and you just wish to re-organize them, you can do this.

First, I'll share the same screenshot of the relevant area someone else shared with me...
881bb826fbd3e9d1bea189c1ea01ad.png

You press F3 and this will being up this interface (it will probably look different depending on your settings for colours etc). Click "MENUS" on the right panel then navigate down. At the very top you will see "MENUS" again (in the larger part of the menu window), click the tiny right arrow to expand it and it will show all menu items from your top bar. One of them will be favourites you can expand.

If you have a messed up favourites as I did, there may be missing links with ?? in them. That is links to your favourite items that the system cannot find. You'll have to drag them over to this again manually. Tedious but I see this as a chance to re-organize them, which I am now.

Now the favourite menu items themselves are in the left panel. The top item on the left will be "CUSTOM", click the arrow to expand it and that is all the items from your favourites. What you will need to do now is to click an item in the left panel and drag it over to the menu where you want it in favourites on the right. Note that you can right click any menu on the right in favourites and create a new submenu if you wish, or delete an invalid ?? entry. You can now create new submenus, for example, if you have a HAIR menu where your favourite hare is stored, you could create a G8F submenu just for G8F hair, within that section and move all your G8F hair in there, and do the same for G3F etc. Otherwise, as time goes on, it can get quite cluttered, and it is not good to mix the different assets.

Anyhow, this is my solution I am going with. It's a bit of a pain, but it will also allow me to finally reorganize my collection, create new menus etc. I am looking forward to improving it. I will then figure out where all this is stored and back it up in the future.

Hope this helps someone else out there.

• Hey there
Reactions: faramata

faramata

Mar 13, 2022
This is one of my annoyances. I once tried some custom color schemes and DAZ promptly proceeded to reset the menus and lost the scripts and favorites. Anpther time the whole thing got reset thanks to gremlins. Switching the Daz theme also causes those custom menus to disappear.

Reactions: Night Hacker

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
I just got done recreating my favorites menu and backed it up. It looks SO MUCH better than it did before! I created many submenus for G8F, G3F etc.... etc... so it was less cluttered. Anyhow, the file you want to backup so you can restore your menus in the future is "menus.dsx". You can find it inside
"%appdata%\DAZ 3D\Studio4" (%appdata% is an environment variable that points to your user folder and appdata\roaming. You can enter this line exactly as you see it and it will go to the correct folder no matter what your username is on your computer).

Anyhow, this should save some grief in the future so you can restore your favorites.

I hope this helps someone avoid the headaches I had. Have fun.