• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Daz Daz help needed - custom settings for RTX 3070 8GB

LadyBoyJay

Jun 12, 2017
Hi! I'm very inexperienced with Daz. Please treat me like a level one beginner. :)

I'm having a problem with my RTX 3070 8GB graphics card. It works great for gaming but it generates way too much heat whenever I render with Daz. Anything under 5 minutes isn't bad but once it gets past that, it becomes too hot and noisy. I don't know what temperature the card is reaching, but the fan exhaust is hot like a blowdryer and the computer case becomes hot to the touch.

This top image was done using what I believe are the default factory settings from Daz. I just loaded the environment and hit the render button. It was done with Nvidia Iray. It took roughly 10 minutes, it was about 60% finished when it shut down upon reaching 5000 iterations. It took way too long to render, it didn't finish, and it looks bad.
2024Feb12testdefaultsettings.png

This bottom image was done with two changes in the settings. In the render editor, the max samples was capped at 1000. Under filtering, the post denoiser was enabled. This took two and a half minutes to render, it finished, and it looks good.
2024Feb12testlowsettings.png

Any advice? I would like to find a sweet spot with the settings. Something like the best that it can render at just under 5 minutes. Thank you for reading!

BzPz

Jan 16, 2022
I don't believe there's any 1 perfect configuration of settings.
It depends not only on your graphics card, but also the scene, what you want the scene to look like, and what you consider "good enough".

For more information on what your system is doing and how hot it gets during the rendering process, download

Reactions: LadyBoyJay

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
What kind of 3070 are you using? 2 or 3 fan cooler? There's no reason, with a moderately cool room, that it should be seeing anything above 80 degrees - and that's only because 30 series cards tend to run warmer than most other models. As far as noise goes, most cards fans are going to spin up as rendering in and of itself is a decently heavy load, so obviously it needs to be kept cool.

If it's getting loud and/or hot, then it might be your case lacking optimal airflow. What case are you using? Try taking the side panel off and see if the noise/temps chill out a bit while rendering. If it does, then it's likely a restrictive case it causing the issue here, perhaps a lack of case fans to move said air.

With a 3070, you're basically limited to 1080p + Scene Optimizer for most renders with any recent assets. There's no end-all be all of Daz settings. I generally leave mine at 4000 iterations at 4K and use an external denoiser to fix up any noisy images in post. Denoising is going to result in a significant loss in detail, especially at a 1000 iterations. But if you're after speed, that's probably the way to.

LadyBoyJay

Jun 12, 2017
For more information on what your system is doing and how hot it gets during the rendering process, download
Thank you! :) I installed GPU-Z and it looks like it should be very helpful.

What kind of 3070 are you using? 2 or 3 fan cooler? There's no reason, with a moderately cool room, that it should be seeing anything above 80 degrees - and that's only because 30 series cards tend to run warmer than most other models. As far as noise goes, most cards fans are going to spin up as rendering in and of itself is a decently heavy load, so obviously it needs to be kept cool.

If it's getting loud and/or hot, then it might be your case lacking optimal airflow. What case are you using? Try taking the side panel off and see if the noise/temps chill out a bit while rendering. If it does, then it's likely a restrictive case it causing the issue here, perhaps a lack of case fans to move said air.

With a 3070, you're basically limited to 1080p + Scene Optimizer for most renders with any recent assets. There's no end-all be all of Daz settings. I generally leave mine at 4000 iterations at 4K and use an external denoiser to fix up any noisy images in post. Denoising is going to result in a significant loss in detail, especially at a 1000 iterations. But if you're after speed, that's probably the way to.
Thank you for your reply! I'm using a Gigabyte Eagle GeForce RTX 3070 8GB with 3 fans on it. My case is a Deepcool Matrexx 55 Mid Tower ATX Gaming Case w/ Tempered Glass Front and Side. It has a Cooler Master Master Liquid ML240L V2 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler, along with two fans on the top of the case, one in the back, and I think maybe one or two on the bottom. I don't love the Deepcool case. My old Zalman Z11 Hellfire case was much better but unfortunately the 3070 doesn't fit in it according to the specs.

I don't have Scene Optimizer but I can get it and try it out. You are talking about this one - , correct?

I did some more tests before I saw your reply about being limited to 1080p. I did these at 2k and recorded the information provided by GPU-Z. I'll stick with 1080p for the future.

This was done in 2k with default Daz settings (5000 iterations, no denoising). After 7 minutes the graphics card starting getting noisier and hotter. It reached the 5000 limit at 96% of being rendered, and it had run for 25 minutes.
coffeetest_2K_defaultsettings.png
These were the highest readings recorded for that render.
3070defaulthighest.gif
These were the average readings recorded for that render.
3070_default_average.gif

This one below was done in 2k with lowered settings (1000 iterations, post denoiser enabled). It reached the 1000 limit at 21% of being rendered, and it had run for 10 minutes.
coffeetest_2K_lowsettings.png
3070lowsetting_highest.gif
3070lowsetting_average.gif

Zoomed in really far, I think the default settings left things grainy and the custom settings left things blurry. Without zooming in, I'm having a difficult time understanding why 96% rendered with default settings doesn't look vastly better than 21% rendered with lowered settings. :unsure:

Last edited:

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Thank you for your reply! I'm using a Gigabyte Eagle GeForce RTX 3070 8GB with 3 fans on it. My case is a Deepcool Matrexx 55 Mid Tower ATX Gaming Case w/ Tempered Glass Front and Side. It has a Cooler Master Master Liquid ML240L V2 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler, along with two fans on the top of the case, one in the back, and I think maybe one or two on the bottom. I don't love the Deepcool case. My old Zalman Z11 Hellfire case was much better but unfortunately the 3070 doesn't fit in it according to the specs.
Yeah, I had the same case for a while. It's definitely not the worst I've had, but it's certainly far from great from an airflow perspective. Decent for its price, if nothing else. Had a 3080 in it and it got pretty toasty during the summer (85-ish). Moved to a 5000D Airflow and ended up being far, far better. Case aside, I think you're fine everywhere else.

I don't have Scene Optimizer but I can get it and try it out. You are talking about this one - , correct?
Yeah. That's it.

It basically compresses textures to lower the amount of VRAM being used when/where needed. When it asks how much to compress the assets in the scene, I'd just leave it on 2 unless it's something really small in the distance.

This was done in 2k with default Daz settings (5000 iterations, no denoising). After 7 minutes the graphics card starting getting noiser and hotter. It reached the 5000 limit at 96% of being rendered, and it had run for 25 minutes.
coffeetest_2K_defaultsettings.png coffeetest_2K_defaultsettings.png
3070defaulthighest.gif 3070defaulthighest.gif
3070_default_average.gif 3070_default_average.gif

This one below was done in 2k with lowered settings (1000 iterations, post denoiser enabled). It reached the 1000 limit at 21% of being rendered, and it had run for 10 minutes.
coffeetest_2K_lowsettings.png coffeetest_2K_lowsettings.png
3070lowsetting_highest.gif 3070lowsetting_highest.gif
3070lowsetting_average.gif 3070lowsetting_average.gif

Zoomed in really far, I think the default settings left things grainy and the custom settings left things blurry. Without zooming in, I'm having a difficult time understanding why 96% rendered with default settings doesn't look vastly better than 21% rendered with lowered settings. :unsure:
Well, your GPU temps seem fine, really. Far, far below any kind of max your GPU will realistically hit with Daz. As for fan noise on the GPU, you might be able to adjust the curve some either with Afterburner or perhaps GB has their own software for that kind of stuff. But don't know how much you can do about the noise of the GPU fans beyond that. If the temps still worry you a bit, taking your side panel off while rendering will likely lower your temps a few degrees depending on the time year, but may come at the cost of more dust.

Daz settings can be kind of a guessing game at times. It can vary pretty wildly from scene to scene, depending on how dark or light a scene is, how it's being lit, how many figures/heavy assets are shown in frame, etc. The default settings are basically telling it to render to X quality for X iteration, and proceeding to the next. If you're fine with heavy denoising, something you can do to speed it up is turn off "Rendering Quality Enable", leave your Post Denoiser on, and then change your iterations to a lower number

For example, this a 1440p render at 700 iterations with (with Denoiser activated at 640, but might be better for you to just leave it at Daz's default.) with the Post Denoiser on. It was for an animation, but the concept still applies:

mgr_74.png

There's always going to be a little bit of grain in nearly every render. It's nigh impossible to avoid. Denoising exists for that reason, but in this space, many render the noisy version and then use an external denoiser before bringing them both into PS to mask out the noise/grain in the image while retaining detail of the texture where possible. But again, if you're purely after speed, then rendering with the post denoiser on is going to be the far faster option for you.

LadyBoyJay

Jun 12, 2017
Yeah. That's it.

It basically compresses textures to lower the amount of VRAM being used when/where needed. When it asks how much to compress the assets in the scene, I'd just leave it on 2 unless it's something really small in the distance.
Thank you! :) I'll try it out and do some tests with it.

Well, your GPU temps seem fine, really. Far, far below any kind of max your GPU will realistically hit with Daz. As for fan noise on the GPU, you might be able to adjust the curve some either with Afterburner or perhaps GB has their own software for that kind of stuff. But don't know how much you can do about the noise of the GPU fans beyond that. If the temps still worry you a bit, taking your side panel off while rendering will likely lower your temps a few degrees depending on the time year, but may come at the cost of more dust.
Sounds like I was just overreacting. :ROFLMAO: I was just a bit worried about damaging my computer. For gaming, it is usually very quiet and rarely gets hot. I'll have to get used to the noise and heat that rendering produces.

Daz settings can be kind of a guessing game at times. It can vary pretty wildly from scene to scene, depending on how dark or light a scene is, how it's being lit, how many figures/heavy assets are shown in frame, etc. The default settings are basically telling it to render to X quality for X iteration, and proceeding to the next. If you're fine with heavy denoising, something you can do to speed it up is turn off "Rendering Quality Enable", leave your Post Denoiser on, and then change your iterations to a lower number

For example, this a 1440p render at 700 iterations with (with Denoiser activated at 640, but might be better for you to just leave it at Daz's default.) with the Post Denoiser on. It was for an animation, but the concept still applies:

View attachment 3350939

There's always going to be a little bit of grain in nearly every render. It's nigh impossible to avoid. Denoising exists for that reason, but in this space, many render the noisy version and then use an external denoiser before bringing them both into PS to mask out the noise/grain in the image while retaining detail of the texture where possible. But again, if you're purely after speed, then rendering with the post denoiser on is going to be the far faster option for you.
Thank you! :) I'll experiment with turning off "Rendering Quality Enable". For a beginner like myself, Daz has quite a learning curve to it. It would be nice if it had some simplified video game style graphic settings, like - low quality, medium, high, ultra high.

That image looks fantastic! I would be very happy to have results like that. I'll have to check out your games and YouTube videos. I hadn't crossed paths with you before. I added Move The Chains to my Steam wishlist to help give you a boost. (y)

Reactions: MissFortune