[Daz] Import Modified Skeleton

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
A question for you more advance level Daz users.

I want to know how to edit the character outside of Daz, and import those changes back into daz for later uses.

I already know how to make custom morphs that adjust the mesh shape, but what I want to be able to do is not just reshape the mesh, but reshape the entire skeleton to generate a whole other character, and I can't seem to find tutorials or guides on how to do this, whereas it is a lot more common to find tutorials about just saving basic morphs and slider presets.

Background: I've been dabbling with Daz 3D for a few months now, mostly using it to prototype characters and body shapes, only to export them to Blender to do everything else (pose, animate, custom shading, final rendering). Besides doing this because of my preference for the Blender workflow, 2 key things that keep me from sticking to daz is, even after investing into several hundred $$$ into body morph kits and character morphs, while they work great for a template, I still find that they try to be too natural and realistic for my liking, in Blender I continue to sculpt the body after I've got a base shape, and in extreme cases, i'll resize the base shape by adjusting the skeleton underneath. IE adjusting the leg length in a way that breaks the golden ratio so I can get more stylized design. I also stay with blender since I can optimize it to take 1/8th the time to render and use nonstandard assets in the scene as well.

I do think it is amazing what can be done with Daz, especially the ability to mix and morph things together. For this reason, I have tried to use Blender much like how a more invested artist would use Zbrush, to make edits to the character and then import those edits to daz. As I have stated, I can already do basic slider preset morphs, as well as import custom mesh morphs in as new sliders, but I don't know how to modify the skeleton and allow that to be imported as well. I know with many characters, there are those that rely on you having bought another morph back (such as the standard body and face morphs) so that they are just slider presets, while other characters completely change everything, like Tess, which make the whole body shorter without adjusting any silders. The latter is basically what I am trying to do.

any help would be appreciated!

Reactions: nillamello

nillamello

Game Developer
Oct 11, 2018
I don't have an answer, but I'm interested. Since Daz is heavily integrated into Hexagon, have you tried using that to modify the skeleton?

It also could be a function that they only allow for certain Devs in their store (they have an SDK that opens proprietary functionality for some people for things like HD morphs).

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Does this help?