Daz low poly count problems

FlipTopBin

Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
I am hitting a problem at the moment with low poly count sofa cushions looking pretty bad:

Notice the back cushions on the sofa. The one on the right which is closest to the camera looks fine but as the cusions get further from the camera the poly count seems to drop and they look progressivly worse. The cushions are all instances of the same object. Presumably this is some optimisation in Daz/Iray which is not helpful in this case.

Does anybody know how I can fix this?

zger

Sep 6, 2017
I am hitting a problem at the moment with low poly count sofa cushions looking pretty bad:

View attachment 327035

Notice the back cushions on the sofa. The one on the right which is closest to the camera looks fine but as the cusions get further from the camera the poly count seems to drop and they look progressivly worse. The cushions are all instances of the same object. Presumably this is some optimisation in Daz/Iray which is not helpful in this case.

Does anybody know how I can fix this?
I had something similar. problem was shaders. just apply default ones without any glossines(reflection, maps) and stuff and check if it helps.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Apply a direct light to that cushion, even if it's few. These polygonal shadows are probably caused because the scenario light isn't illuminating that part correctly or it does with some bouncing light but insufficiently.

FlipTopBin

Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
Thanks for the replies guys.

I tried a dedicated light but that didn't help. Removing the normal and bum maps did help a lot on the well lit portion but the shadowy portion was still jagged.

After a bit more research I found out about subd surfaces though which automatically adds extra polygons and does more smoothing and is also quite easy to do. After playing with that for a whil it was better but not a complete solution. However, combing subd with removing the maps makes an acceptable solution. I only did the corner cushion as it definitly looks a bit weird but its loads better than it was:

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
You've probably figured this out, but this is common when you have lower poly figures, and have light hitting those polys at a steep angle. Light hitting the polys at near-90 degree angles aren't a problem, but when the light paths become oblique, the fact that this causes some shadowing tends to highlight the outlines of the polys. Obviously, sub-D helps, because it makes the polys smaller.

Reactions: FlipTopBin