Daz DAZ-Newbie Clothes Question

Minoin

Jan 16, 2018
Greetings All,

I [very] recently jumped into playing with DAZ, and I encountered one basic and one probably one more advanced question regarding clothing. Note, I'm using DAZ Studio 4.22 pro:

1) -Basic: How do you change the colour of clothes? I did an online search and came across the , but I don't see that option in my settings. I do not get the 'customise' label when looking at the materials, and the colour options in the surface tab do not always change the colour of the selected clothing.
I suspect t is related to how the assets were made, but I cannot see a way to deal with it.

2) -Advanced: is there a way to change the translucency (level of see-through) of clothing? I'm looking for a way (function/asset) that allows you to make any clothing more or less transparent. Is this possible?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Always a lady but still NG,
Minoin!

Reactions: Richard Fappington

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
I'm not an expert by any means, especially when it comes to the deeper settings of shaders and textures.

However, most clothes out there have their main look in a texture map that is under the Base Color in the Surfaces tab for that item. If there's no texture map, then the item is simple and only uses basic colors. There might also be texture maps for roughness and bump, which is a special map to create a 3D embossed look to things (like the sewn seams and collars and other stuff)

is one good tutorial to get your started. Like the article says, it's always good to have a large library of shaders you can apply to items to make them unique.

I like to take basic clothes and then customize them for my own use. It's often one of the easiest ways to make something unique in your renders.

Here's an example... the ubiquitous Basic Wear muscle shirt that just about everyone has in their library. I take the Base Color map, which is all black and I just add graphics using photoshop to it and then copy that over to my texture folder for this asset.

basic_wear_black.JPG 1718206887707.jpeg
basic_wear_black_3.JPG

Saint_RNG

Apr 2, 2018
2) -Advanced: is there a way to change the translucency (level of see-through) of clothing? I'm looking for a way (function/asset) that allows you to make any clothing more or less transparent. Is this possible?
For clothes with Iray Uber Shader, there's a property in its surfaces called Cutout Opacity (In the surfaces Panel, for each surfaces you'll have a tree you can unroll, Cutout Opacity is in the Geometry>Cutout sub-branch).
A value of 1.00 means that the surface is completely visible, 0.00 means completely hidden.
If you play with the cursor a little, you'll get more or less what you want. Most of the time that'll be enough, but if you want more customization, you'll have to use a map.

Minoin

Jan 16, 2018
For clothes with Iray Uber Shader, there's a property in its surfaces called Cutout Opacity (In the surfaces Panel, for each surfaces you'll have a tree you can unroll, Cutout Opacity is in the Geometry>Cutout sub-branch).
A value of 1.00 means that the surface is completely visible, 0.00 means completely hidden.
If you play with the cursor a little, you'll get more or less what you want. Most of the time that'll be enough, but if you want more customization, you'll have to use a map.
Oh great! This is exactly what I was looking for Saint_RNG .. Thanx a bundle :love::love: :-*

Minoin

Jan 16, 2018
I'm not an expert by any means, especially when it comes to the deeper settings of shaders and textures.

However, most clothes out there have their main look in a texture map that is under the Base Color in the Surfaces tab for that item. If there's no texture map, then the item is simple and only uses basic colors. There might also be texture maps for roughness and bump, which is a special map to create a 3D embossed look to things (like the sewn seams and collars and other stuff)

is one good tutorial to get your started. Like the article says, it's always good to have a large library of shaders you can apply to items to make them unique.

I like to take basic clothes and then customize them for my own use. It's often one of the easiest ways to make something unique in your renders.

Here's an example... the ubiquitous Basic Wear muscle shirt that just about everyone has in their library. I take the Base Color map, which is all black and I just add graphics using photoshop to it and then copy that over to my texture folder for this asset.

View attachment 3729689 View attachment 3729691
View attachment 3729687
Thanx Turning Tricks! I will dive into these options next! it opens a whole new dimension.. Much appreciated :-*