Daz not opening properly even after reinstall

HS Makes Games

Game Developer
Jun 21, 2017
Hello,
Has anyone experienced Daz Studio opening only with the login pop-up but without the rest of the UI? After last week's windows update, whether I log into the pop-up or just close it, the Main UI refuses to load, even trying to alt-tab shows a small blank white screen for it. I unistalled both it and studio, deleted their appdata, and reinstalled them, but it didn't change anything.

Does anyone have any advice on how to repair this?

error.png

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
In addition to the AppData, Daz Studio has non-trivial registry settings. If you're really trying to do a cold install, you have to nuke those as well.

But since you said this happened after a Windows update, is it possible that Microsoft (in its infinite generosity) replaced your NVidea video driver with one of its own? It's vaguely possible that could account for the problems. (OK, that's a wild-ass guess, and not even a scientific wild-ass guess.)

HS Makes Games

Game Developer
Jun 21, 2017
In addition to the AppData, Daz Studio has non-trivial registry settings. If you're really trying to do a cold install, you have to nuke those as well.

But since you said this happened after a Windows update, is it possible that Microsoft (in its infinite generosity) replaced your NVidea video driver with one of its own? It's vaguely possible that could account for the problems. (OK, that's a wild-ass guess, and not even a scientific wild-ass guess.)
Yeah, i had the fear too, I went and doublechecked. I have the up to date nividea driver. Do you know where I can find a list of registry settings that I can work from?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Yeah, i had the fear too, I went and doublechecked. I have the up to date nividea driver. Do you know where I can find a list of registry settings that I can work from?
It seems to me that there was a thread in the Daz3d.com forums about "how to do a complete uninstall" that had this information.

HS Makes Games

Game Developer
Jun 21, 2017
So I went through and did one step at a time and restarting my PC each time and it finally worked. Here are the steps I took in case it helps anyone else:

1. Uninstall Daz Studio from Daz Central and delete all daz appdata
  2. Restart
  3. Uninstall Daz Central and delete all daz appdata AGAIN
  4. Restart
  5. Go to the registry editor and delete the three daz folders I was able to find:
    • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
      1. .daz
      2. dazfile
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER
      1. SOFTWARE > DAZ
  6. Restart
  7. Install Daz Central
  8. Restart
  9. Install Daz Sudio – Success!

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Glad to hear you got it working. Sounds like it was some kind of registry corruption. (I don't use Daz Central, so no way of knowing if it was a contributor to the problem.)

pollenart

Apr 19, 2019
Glad to hear you got it working. Sounds like it was some kind of registry corruption. (I don't use Daz Central, so no way of knowing if it was a contributor to the problem.)
It probably is the culprit, as it is ass.

@HS

In any future daz reinstall scenario stick to using DAZIM [Daz Install Manager] as it does exactly the same thing.. only better, with less headache.

Idk why they have this insistence with Daz Central, maybe they think making something less functional with pretty metadata inserts is better or something.. dunno why im even thinking that.. this is daz studio developers we are speaking about. The asset shop is the only thing that is important, everything else is not important.