DAZ question - Rename or delete material zones?

Jun 29, 2018
I've been using the Geometry Editor for creating new material zones and it's been very useful. The problem I'm having is I can't see how you can either rename an existing material zone or delete one that already exists.

I'm using a few .obj files that all seem to have a similar naming convention for the material zones, such as: "wire_027177027" - which tells me nothing about what part of the object it is. I'd like to be able to rename the material zone to something more meaningful. Currently I've been creating a new material zone with the same selected polygons in it and naming it to something I want. I'd like to be able to delete the old ones but I can't seem to find how to do that as well.

Is there a way to rename an existing material zone? This would be the easiest thing to do. If not, is there a way to delete an existing material zone? In the attached image the red are the default ones I'd like to remove and the green is around the ones:

Material_Zones.png

I appreciate any info you have that could help me out with this. Thanks!

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Updated!

Perhaps not the best way to do that... I've done a quick test... but you can try if it works for you:

- Select the surface in "Surfaces" tab, go to "Geometry Editor" in "Tool Settings" tab.
- In viewport, right click and select "Geometry Assignment" and "Create Surface from Selected", then you can give it any name you want.
- Select the "original" surface, right click and "Copy selected surface"
- Select the new surface you have created, right click and "Paste to selected surface"

plus:
- In "Geometry Editor" select the "original" surface, right click in viewport and "Geometry Selection" > "Select All"
- Right click again in viewport and "Geometry Assignment" > "Assign to surface" and select the surface you have created
- Then you can delete the old (original) surface

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: f95zoneuser463
Jun 29, 2018
Hi, thanks but I'm able to create a new material zone without a problem. My issues is since these have garbage names I'd like to rename them or delete the old ones after creating new ones. I load the Geometry Editor, right click and go to "Geometry Selection" -> "Select By" -> "Surfaces" and then pick one of the default ones with the goofy names.

Then I do what you said to save that selected surface with a useful name. The problem though is that leaves you with twice as many surfaces as there should be. In the example in my image there are 8 material zones on the object so after renaming them there are a total of 16 showing up.

It's not really a big issue, they can stay there and I'll just use the new ones I created. I just wanted to delete them to make things tidy. haha If only I was that concerned about how tidy my desk was! :)

Ideally it would be easier if I could just rename one of the existing material zones with a better name. Example: Select "wire_027177027" and rename that to "Legs" or whatever it's for.

It would seem odd that there's no way to delete them but if not, or if it's too much of a pain in the ass, it's not that important. These aren't items for resale or anything. Just my own peace of mind.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Did you tried with the updated info? This way you can delete the original (bad names) surfaces and keep only the new one with your own name, no duplicates.

Jun 29, 2018
Ah, I just found out how to do it thanks to a suggestion on daz3d.com. You have to be in the Geometry Editor first (Tools -> Geometry Editor). Then open up the Tool Settings panel and you will see a list of all the surfaces and can delete them there or double click on one to rename it.

Surfaces_Tool_Settings.png

UGH... Daz makes things so difficult at times! haha Thanks again for your help!

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Ah, I just found out how to do it thanks to a suggestion on daz3d.com. You have to be in the Geometry Editor first (Tools -> Geometry Editor). Then open up the Tool Settings panel and you will see a list of all the surfaces and can delete them there or double click on one to rename it.

View attachment 181689

UGH... Daz makes things so difficult at times! haha Thanks again for your help!

Hahahahaha, Oh fuck!

Yeah, I refer to that panel with my workaround but damn, I didn't think to try double-clicking there o_O:eek::ROFLMAO:

Good to know! ;)

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
I've had the same problem with renaming surfaces in the past ... don't know any better solution either. I completely agree with @DreamLab Studio ... waaaaay to complicated ... there should be a 'rename'-button in the surface-tab. I understand than opening the geometry editor is required for when I want to change assignments ... but just for renaming a surface? ... no!

Also I've learned to be very careful with the geometry editor. Before I touch it I usually save the scene. I've had it crash DAZ Studio many times when re-assigning/deleting things. Could be a problem with a specific model ... who knows ...