DAZ Studio 4.15 rendering only using CPU?

BizeBire

Oct 23, 2017
Hi everyone!

Recently started playing around with DAZ since I got an RTX 2060.

Made a quick scene, fired up rendering and... Noticed the application uses 0% of the GPU and 99% of the CPU.

I looked around online and people from years back mention some problems that were supposedly fixed in newer versions (but those threads are, like, from the 4.5 days), had one guy mentioning that DAZ 4.10 was having issues supporting 2xxx gen RTX cards and said that what fixed it for him was switching to the public beta.

But, yeah, none of that applies considering I'm on 4.15, I guess.

Is there something in the config I'm missing?

BizeBire

Oct 23, 2017
panel render settings
engine NVIDIA Iray
advanced tab
hardware
activate only the nvidia card in device and interactive
Thanks for the reply!

Sadly, that's exactly what I have right now (see below) and yet whenever I render or even switch to nVidia Iray Draw Style in the viewport, my CPU goes up to 90% and GPU is pretty much untouched.

1610899731887.png

Reactions: Tor7

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
what type of scenes are you doing
2060 only has 6gbs of vram
if a render take all of the vram it will automatically turn to cpu regardless what settings that you set them to

BizeBire

Oct 23, 2017
what type of scenes are you doing
2060 only has 6gbs of vram
if a render take all of the vram it will automatically turn to cpu regardless what settings that you set them to
I'd be surprised if it was that VRAM intensive, it was a simple portrait.
1610900949266.png

Hmm... Unless the environment blew up the memory needs? When rendering a scene, does the surrounding not in the viewport matter?

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
go to preference then to interface and select current hardware features it will show you some information what your card can do

like how many min/max lights/textures/pixels that you can use at a time

edit:

try to delete some objects that are in the background that's not in the image it will help

Reactions: BizeBire

tk99

Jun 3, 2019
I'd be surprised if it was that VRAM intensive, it was a simple portrait.
View attachment 990262

Hmm... Unless the environment blew up the memory needs? When rendering a scene, does the surrounding not in the viewport matter?

That should be ok with 6gb.

> Noticed the application uses 0% of the GPU and 99% of the CPU

How did you notice that?
Did you install GPUZ?

BizeBire

Oct 23, 2017
That should be ok with 6gb.

> Noticed the application uses 0% of the GPU and 99% of the CPU

How did you notice that?
Did you install GPUZ?
I had Task Manager opened on the side. I know it's not perfect, but it wouldn't miss GPU/CPU load by THAT much, would it?

BizeBire

Oct 23, 2017
Did you figure this out? Im facing the same issue :(
Nope. The more I searched the more it looked like DAZ just can't handle a GPU with sub 4GB of VRAM. That sounds ridiculous to me, but I didn't really dig into the search as I'm not doing any games or such, just the occasional, recreational render, so it's mostly fine as it is. I started keeping to smaller, less busy scenes.

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
Nope. The more I searched the more it looked like DAZ just can't handle a GPU with sub 4GB of VRAM. That sounds ridiculous to me, but I didn't really dig into the search as I'm not doing any games or such, just the occasional, recreational render, so it's mostly fine as it is. I started keeping to smaller, less busy scenes.
I should add that I think i figured it out? It's actually using my gpu but you gotta set the dropdown in processess to 'cuda' . thats what daz uses apparently. idk the technical terms or logic behind it but when i set it to cuda, it shows my gpu being used 100%

Tor7

Jun 10, 2021
I downloaded DAZ a few days ago and today was my first time actually rendering anything. I have a 3060 with 12 gb vram and I have the same issue. IRAY won't use my GPU for rendering. I get an "cuda error code 700" IF I have CPU fallback enabled. If I don't have it enabled, then in 8 seconds I get a completed and empty render.

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
I downloaded DAZ a few days ago and today was my first time actually rendering anything. I have a 3060 with 12 gb vram and I have the same issue. IRAY won't use my GPU for rendering. I get an "cuda error code 700" IF I have CPU fallback enabled. If I don't have it enabled, then in 8 seconds I get a completed and empty render.
Not an expert on Daz yet but by any chance do you have a canvas selected? Also what exactly are you trying to render

Reactions: Tor7

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
I have looked up that error code it has nothing to do with daz or your video card more info here

Tor7

Jun 10, 2021
Not an expert on Daz yet but by any chance do you have a canvas selected? Also what exactly are you trying to render
I've not done anything with canvasses yet. From a couple of videos I watched it seems to deal more with your post-processing software than in DAZ. Also, I didn't have any canvasses selected when it did successfully render using my CPU. I did turn them on and selected the beauty canvass and tried that, but it had the same effect.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The scene is just the free Studio 19 environment (only one I currently own) and an 8.1 model. Nothing else added to the scene, lightening is whatever is default to the scene and other than the items you see (plus shoes) there was nothing added. It's literally my second test scene (deleted the first test because I thought it was corrupted due to the errors and started over, but it was pretty much the same, different model, different pose being the only difference.)

Last edited:

Blackthunder_vn

Game Developer
Jan 31, 2020
Hi,

Had the same problem, with my 2070 super 8GB and 32GB Ram, then i was using the Scene Optimizer cut all in half.
With the optimizer it works fine, but the render times.

Then I upgraded my system to 64Gb and an 3090 with 24Gb now all the problems with the fallback to cpu are gone.

Hope this will help you a bit. Daz need ram as an fish water.

The SceneOptimizer workes great.

Blackthunder

Reactions: p_staker

palumbra

Nov 20, 2019
My opinion: Daz and Iray are a vaste of time and money, Daz IK orrible, Iray a time/money eater (time, more powerfull gpu), animations are like impossible.
New Filament is very god for time, but the trasparency is no good, needs tricks for a decent result, and the orrible daz ik is in any case orrible.
All tihs is very frustrating, and i am tired to waste time.