Daz studio and RAM?

daddydante88

Jan 16, 2019
Hey folks. New to Daz studio and I'm considering bumping up the memory on my computer. I'm considering this because I've noticed during rendering my resource allocation sometimes peaks my 16GB of memory all the way to 15.5. so I was wondering if an increase of memory would have any impact and if so, what?

Specs:
Intel i7 8700k @5.0 GHz. Delid and Liquid cooled.
Asus 1070 TI 8GB, custom boost curve and liquid cooled.
16GB (2x8) Corsair RGB pro 3000Mhz with custom timings.
MSI z97 Gaming M5 motherboard.

Side note : I usually run everything GPU bound leaving my CPU free to tinker with other tasks during renders. Even so, most of the time I peak my vram at 6 to 7 GB

DreamBig Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
Sometimes, depending on how heavy a scene is ( number of characters, environment, etc) my daz reaches 24-28 GB ( I have 32 ). SO yeah, I think 16 is way too low. Having more Ram, will allow Daz to laod scenes faster ( it won't need to use the virtual memory that is based on the HDD, HDD is a lot slower than RAM )

Deleted member 327695

Game Developer
Dec 11, 2017
I have rendered for months with 8GB RAM. It was laggy but do-able.

VRAM is much more important if you do GPU renders, I don't see a reason why you should buy more ram. (I have 16GB too and I have no problems except for some laggs in the viewport.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Both DreamBig Games and Oceanlab are right.

It all depends on what kinds of scenes you do.

For the normal style of VN games with 1-3 charsters max per scene and mainly using hdri instead of real 3d asset for the background then 16gb with 8-11gb of vram should be more than enough.
However, for games that tend to have many characters and using real 3d assets for backgrounds (not room assets but towns and forests, etc) then you will need a lot more ram.

For me personally, I upgraded from 16 to 40 gb of ram and it was one of the better upgrades I did. No more crashes and head scratching. My outdoors scenes could easily go to the 30gb+. And if your system does not have 30gb == Daz Crash.

But again, the average dev does not go overboard with characters and backgrounds. So 16gb with a decent gpu with decent vram should be good for most.
In those cases, I recommend scene optimizer. In your example, you could probably half the scene that is almost 15gb of ram usage with that script with no to minimal visual change.

Reactions: SeventhVixen

daddydante88

Jan 16, 2019
Update:
So i was at my local big box to get some parts for work and decided to get the memory anyhow. The difference is without question noticeable. Faster load times. More fluid movement in preview mode. Some of my larger Renders are hitting 28GB! Im Verry happy with my buy. thanks for the input guys.

Reactions: HopesGaming