Abandoned DAZ STUDIO THUNDER3D ULTIMATE MOISTURE SHELL LOOKS BAD IN RENDER

Aug 20, 2019
Hey

so im working with daz and wasant sure where to post in dorums. Im having this issue for a while and im trying to fugure out how to get the shells in DAZ to work properly without them looking like this. If anyone has suggestions i'd apprecite it. Ive loaded an HDRI into the scene and funny enough it dosent happen at all until AFTER i load it in. The white lines should be wet textures instead of a white textured shell.
Capture.PNG Capture 3.PNG ada.png

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018
I don't use that because I'm not a fan of geoshells, I just use the minimum needed and sweat is something easy to do on the same skin material anyway. Having said that, if the sweat looks fine before applying that HDRI, and seeing how it is a very dark HDRI cranked up to a whoppin' 300 intensity, my guess is that the sweat is surrounded by the same dull grey/white intensity light all around and it's messing with the reflection of the sweat making it look white. Or something like that.
Sweat is one of those things you also need to know how to use lighting or it won't look good.

Reactions: woody554
Aug 20, 2019
I don't use that because I'm not a fan of geoshells, I just use the minimum needed and sweat is something easy to do on the same skin material anyway. Having said that, if the sweat looks fine before applying that HDRI, and seeing how it is a very dark HDRI cranked up to a whoppin' 300 intensity, my guess is that the sweat is surrounded by the same dull grey/white intensity light all around and it's messing with the reflection of the sweat making it look white. Or something like that.
Sweat is one of those things you also need to know how to use lighting or it won't look good.

So for the shell to activate right i need better lighting for it to be picked up correctly? seems straight foward

Aug 20, 2019
maybe try adding a spotlight to fake the specularity the hdri is missing?

yes i will give this a try, i noticed when you add lights some settings do change, but whats weird is when ive worked on another project a similar issue happened even though lights were added, i ended up setting it up to "SCENE ONLY" and the the issue went away when editing the envoirments tab, really confused with how daz works at times. I know the "dome and scene" option interacts with both hdri and the lighting added.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
So for the shell to activate right i need better lighting for it to be picked up correctly? seems straight foward
from the thumbnail of your environment map it looks like it's all almost black or very dark. that's probably what the wet skin is reflecting. so everything is working as expected.

Aug 20, 2019
from the thumbnail of your environment map it looks like it's all almost black or very dark. that's probably what the wet skin is reflecting. so everything is working as expected.
i added the lights but the issue still occurs with the sweat texture despite how many lights added or lumins that are adjusted or try to change the HDRI overall

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018
I'm assuming it's the lighting because you said the problem was after applying that HDRI you are using, which is also set at a crazy 300 intensity, so even though the HDRI you are using is dark I'm assuming it's a huge bright light surrounding everything. Still, I'd expect the wet shell to simply look flat, not white. I would think there is something wrong in the surface settings of the shell, but again, you mentioned it was fine before applying the HDRI.

Aug 20, 2019
I'm assuming it's the lighting because you said the problem was after applying that HDRI you are using, which is also set at a crazy 300 intensity, so even though the HDRI you are using is dark I'm assuming it's a huge bright light surrounding everything. Still, I'd expect the wet shell to simply look flat, not white. I would think there is something wrong in the surface settings of the shell, but again, you mentioned it was fine before applying the HDRI.

thats what im thinking as well, see when i load just the model by itself without a scene or imported HDRI it works fine but as soon as i start adding props that require the model to be indoors it starts acting like this, very fustrating, i mean yeah you could use the lighting and do it yourself but its crazy in other projects i didnt go through this, i even set the HDRI to "scene only" and it worked i tried it again but no luck at all, any tips on what to do with the surfaces tab on the shell?

I also want to add i even added a denoiser and it also causes issues it seems

Aug 13, 2018
thats what im thinking as well, see when i load just the model by itself without a scene or imported HDRI it works fine but as soon as i start adding props that require the model to be indoors it starts acting like this, very fustrating, i mean yeah you could use the lighting and do it yourself but its crazy in other projects i didnt go through this, i even set the HDRI to "scene only" and it worked i tried it again but no luck at all, any tips on what to do with the surfaces tab on the shell?

I also want to add i even added a denoiser and it also causes issues it seems
I mean, there is no way around having to learn good lighting, even if you aren't using wet effects. Just to give you an idea.
This is kind of how I would set a wet shell effect and for this render I'm only using SunSky, nothing more (not saying you should use SunSky, I was just using something quick and simple with good fill light and a main light)
wet decent lighting.png
Here is the same figure, I haven't changed anything in the materials, but it's inside an emissive cube shooting equal lighting from all sides.
wet bad lighting.png
It completely kills the wet effect. Now, why you are getting white color, no idea, I'd have to see the surface settings on the shell. Off the top of my head, it probably doesn't have Refraction Weight set to 1.

Aug 20, 2019
I mean, there is no way around having to learn good lighting, even if you aren't using wet effects. Just to give you an idea.
This is kind of how I would set a wet shell effect and for this render I'm only using SunSky, nothing more (not saying you should use SunSky, I was just using something quick and simple with good fill light and a main light)
View attachment 2639281
Here is the same figure, I haven't changed anything in the materials, but it's inside an emissive cube shooting equal lighting from all sides.
View attachment 2639286
It completely kills the wet effect. Now, why you are getting white color, no idea, I'd have to see the surface settings on the shell. Off the top of my head, it probably doesn't have Refraction Weight set to 1.

here aree the shell settings, im gonna run down everything you explained and see what i can figure out as well, been on it for hours the only thing that works is when i set the HDRI to scene only which is odd

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018
here aree the shell settings, im gonna run down everything you explained and see what i can figure out as well, been on it for hours the only thing that works is when i set the HDRI to scene only which is odd
I think there is some stuff missing there? Not sure, have never used Thunder's wet shell product, might be a special shader included. But refraction weight is set to 1 so it shouldn't be look white...
Btw, maybe this helps?

Though he's not using a geoshell there, and it also doesn't work if using the PBRSKin shader instead of Iray Uber

Aug 20, 2019
I think there is some stuff missing there? Not sure, have never used Thunder's wet shell product, might be a special shader included. But refraction weight is set to 1 so it shouldn't be look white...
Btw, maybe this helps?

Though he's not using a geoshell there, and it also doesn't work if using the PBRSKin shader instead of Iray Uber

it turns out its the post denoiser thats causing the issue im still trying to find a way around it

Aug 13, 2018
it turns out its the post denoiser thats causing the issue im still trying to find a way around it
Don't use it. It's horrible. If you really need a denoiser look for mcasual mcjDenoise script for Daz. It requires downloading some stuff and some setting up but it's not that hard. Just make sure you read properly the installation instructions.

Aug 20, 2019
Don't use it. It's horrible. If you really need a denoiser look for mcasual mcjDenoise script for Daz. It requires downloading some stuff and some setting up but it's not that hard. Just make sure you read properly the installation instructions.

i just spoke with the devloper of the product, the lights being used in my scene were stock lights used in DAZ which dont work too well with the product nor the current iray, everything is working fine now but it was noted that i keep the defualt settings or try to keep them as close to the original as possible. Tirning up the enviornemnt intensity only made it worst from what i was doing, so im using a lighting set that works well with iray and other HDRI'S