Daz Studio White Skin Issue

hatefuldisplay

May 22, 2020
I'm not sure what is going on here, but I have had this issue with a few different models. They look fine with no flaws and then I start the rendering process and their skin turns white. The model on the left is not wearing a turtleneck shirt underneath the T-shirt. I have had this happen with a few different Genesis 8 models and in multiple environments with different backdrops. Anyone have any idea what causes this or what I can do to fix it/prevent it from happening again. Much appreciated.

Welcome Wagon 2.jpg

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
This smells like one of two things:
  1. There is a material issue with the character. Maybe missing image files. You could figure that out by looking at the "Surfaces" tab, looking at the "arm" or "torso" surface (since that's what's white) and then seeing if there's an image on the "Base Color" and if the referenced image actually exists. (Missing images also probably show up in your log.)
  2. Your character has a "geoshell" applied to it (for things like makeup, tattoos, etc.) and the geoshell isn't transparent in the correct areas, or itself has a similar materials issue - missing image or the like.
The other possibility that comes to mind is that you're using a non-iRay rendering engine (e.g. 3Delight or Filament) with a character that only has iRay materials, and Daz Studio isn't succeeding in converting the iRay materials to materials for that renderer. That could happen if the character uses a custom shader.

One work-around might be to apply the materials from a character that works to the character that doesn't. In other words, you'd have the mesh from one character, but the materials from another.

Reactions: hatefuldisplay

hatefuldisplay

May 22, 2020
Rich, I will take a look at your ideas. I know the last model I had this happen with did have tattoo geoshells added. Perhaps that is one of the issues I am having. I will try re-adding the last model I had this issue with, removing the tattoos, and rendering again. Thankfully, the renders show it immediately. I appreciate your advice. Have a great weekend!