Daz users, I need advice (mainly clothing tips)

uhohitsuhoh

May 21, 2017
Hey guys, I want to get into making these visual novel type "games". My biggest problem so far is finding clothes in general, and making the clothes I do find fit right.

My main critique of most games/visual novels are the breasts of characters. So I've been creating custom models trying to get more realistic breasts, that actually hang and to the best of my limited ability look real.

My problem is all the clothing autofits, and sucks under the breasts, rather than hang off them, and I can't figure out for the life of me how to do it. I've tried googling a bit, but get more confused trying to figure out what people are talking about.

I've tried "morph" packs but all the options seem to adjust everything but the breasts, and the breast morphs can make the clothing around the breasts bigger, but it retains the same shape.

I don't have a problem with pants, because most pants are skin tight to begin with.

If anyone has any tips that would be greatly appreciated or just point me in a general direction. Also sorry in advance if this is the wrong subforum.

ps. I downloaded some marvelous designer program, and got a free trial of it after reading somewhere you can tweak clothes that way and make your own clothes? But i'm lost with it. If anyone has experience or knows that program let me know.

captainJugs

Jun 7, 2017
What is this marvellous designer program?

Sorry i don't really have an answer, but it sounds like what you want is to make the clothing dynamic (subject to gravity, wind etc). I think there are plugins for doing that.

I've been using daz clothing in Unity and it can a pain to make it fit right. I'm almost tempted to create my own low-poly clothing and applying cloth physics, except i'm a little time poor so daz models will do.

Best of luck

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OK, I am by no means an expert on this, but here's a few tips clothing wise.

1) Wear Them All. These plugins allow you to use the older cllothing on newer models, but it's broken up into a few packages. It was on sale recently in Fast Grab, so it should go on sale again. This will allow you to buy the 'cheap' V4/Genesis 1 era stuff (or older) when they go on sale. I've seen the older stuff on sale for 80% off or more a few times now.

2) Hidden parameters. You can play around with the x, y, and z scaling and x, y, and z positioning of various clothing body parts to deal with poke thru issues, and maybe just trying to achieve an effect like taking the pants partially off or some such. Sometimes they may not move/scale as you'd normally expect though, so it's trial and error here. There are better ways to do this, but sometimes a simple nudge or two can help. Note that you'll probably have to re-adjust these as you change poses and such.

3) There are a LOT of free breast morphs out there, on ShareCG and Renderosity. Sometimes, you can sorta kinda see these morph options when you show hidden parameters, and use them to make fine adjustments to clothing - IF you can read the text that is. Gray on black can be hard to read, especially when it's tiny.

BTW, Hidden parameters are accessed via the 'menu' icon in the upper right of the Parameters tab window.

There are a couple of other morph packages that are supposed to deal with 'loose fitting between the breasts as opposed to skin tight' and such, but to be honest I don't use these much so I can't really comment on how useful they are.

Reactions: uhohitsuhoh

uhohitsuhoh

May 21, 2017
thanks for the responses

I've tried some of the clothing morphs for between the breasts and they seem to work somewhat. (after a certain point it just becomes a lump between them.) My problem is under the breast. I want to have the clothes basically drape off the tip of the breast in a somewhat straight line to the waist/top of pants. But when making a breast that actually has sag to it and hang, the clothes suck up underneath the breast.

I've messed with hidden parameters but again its not working how I need it to, in the sense that the parameters i think i would need to adjust aren't there.

I'm beginning to assume its not possible. I feel like I would've found a product addressing this issue by now.

I was wondering if there was a way to create maybe some type of shape, (I've looked into geoshells, but they conform to the body the same way as clothes) so that I could fit the clothes to that, over the character. If that makes sense? I even tried adjusting the figure, making it fat basically, the torso jutting out as far as under breasts, making a geoshell, and then bringing the torso/upper abdomen back to normal, thinking that the geoshell would stay the same shape and then i could fit the clothes to that, so the breasts and chest would be skin tight but the under breasts would conform to the new pushing out torso morphs. To no avail, the geoshell sucks back in.

I'm getting pretty discouraged haha. Thinking about just making flat-chested models. I'm not even going crazy by the way, with giant massive breasts, more like real D cups, but that actually hang and don't come straight off the figure like fake breasts.

Another idea I had is making two presets of the same figure, one with no hang/sag at all to maybe give the illusion of them being pushed up in a bra, for when the character is clothed, and another how I want it like this. But still with any sizable breast there is some unrealistic properties to it.

I'm going to keep going at it. If I figure anything out I'll post in this thread.

uhohitsuhoh

May 21, 2017
What is this marvellous designer program?

Sorry i don't really have an answer, but it sounds like what you want is to make the clothing dynamic (subject to gravity, wind etc). I think there are plugins for doing that.

I've been using daz clothing in Unity and it can a pain to make it fit right. I'm almost tempted to create my own low-poly clothing and applying cloth physics, except i'm a little time poor so daz models will do.

Best of luck
Marvelous designer is a program for creating clothes. While googling how to fix my problems I seen someone mention it.

I figured out how to load in my DAZ figure, but not how to load in the clothes I wanted to edit, and I'm not sure how to edit them once I got them in there. I tried playing around with the preset clothes in MD but honestly I'm a complete noob to all of this and its way over my head. The post I seen mentioning it had to do with dynamics and I think was meant for animation? I don't know, but basically someone was saying they would load In the daz clothes, adjust them, save them and then import them back to DAZ.

I thought it would be simple but its not. Also MD is 60 a month, or 550 for a perpetual license so I'm not too motivated to figure it out when I barely have a grasp on DAZ itself lol. (I'm just running the free trial of MD now.)

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Have you tried using D-Formers yet?

You can move clothing around a LOT with D-Formers, once you get a handle on how to use them. They have three elements (positioning, orientation, and the actual 'adjust object'. There's a 'edit spline' feature that can adjust how heavily it influences an area, and you use the x,y,z scaling on the 'influence area' to tighten or widen the area as you see fit.

Again, pay close attention to edit spline. the more extreme the curve, the more 'red dots' you'll see in the influence area. You can overdo the spline adjustments, so it takes a bit of trial and error to dial the spline curve in. Note that you may have to go the 'squiggly line' curve route in some cases. Scale down the influence area to just below the boobs, but without 'touching' the back of the garment. Also, you can use multiple D-formers on the same item if needed to slowly nudge things where you need them.

Here's an example of using D-Formers. This Yamaki Fusion used to have 'flat' car tires, not rounded profile ones, and the fairing used to sweep back over her legs, as opposed to being angled immediately in front of them. Also, the bike used to be wider (adjusted mainly via scaling, but D-Formers did come into play for the front fork to fine tune things to 'match' the front wheel). I needed more of a sportbike looking street bike, and ended up with this. I also added the mirrors, but that's another subject.

Here's what the 'stock' Yamaki Fusion looks like:

01_yamaki_mainpromo.jpg

It might be easier to do this sort of thing outside of Daz, but if you aren't skilled with those or don't have the other programs, well D-Formers seem to do well enough for me.

It takes a bit of practice, and it's not always ideal, but for specific poses these can be very helpful, and it works inside of Daz.

Last edited:
Reactions: uhohitsuhoh

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
It looks like a good motorcycle but being one who restored them in the past, I can't resist saying that a good design on paper doesn't always translate into real-world use. I saw 3 things.. The first is the way the front airdam is shaped. You cannot lean the bike so it cannot turn. It's so low that it will scrape the ground on slight bumps and if it works as intended at high speeds, it will scrape the ground and that is dangerous. Second weird thing is the rear axle. Look carefully.. it looks like a solid fixed axle without a suspension which is NOT fun. Your ass will hate you forever. Third, I cannot see an opening for an exhaust so it's either an electric or some weird engine that doesn't need gas. O.O
I know it's a prop and it's nice looking. But the rider side of me can't help but look at the details. I'd buy that bike myself and modify it so it's cooler and actually functions.
I wish I knew how to rework the motorcycle so it'll look better as a prop..

Reactions: blubibek

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
It looks like a good motorcycle but being one who restored them in the past, I can't resist saying that a good design on paper doesn't always translate into real-world use. I saw 3 things.. The first is the way the front airdam is shaped. You cannot lean the bike so it cannot turn. It's so low that it will scrape the ground on slight bumps and if it works as intended at high speeds, it will scrape the ground and that is dangerous. Second weird thing is the rear axle. Look carefully.. it looks like a solid fixed axle without a suspension which is NOT fun. Your ass will hate you forever. Third, I cannot see an opening for an exhaust so it's either an electric or some weird engine that doesn't need gas. O.O
I know it's a prop and it's nice looking. But the rider side of me can't help but look at the details. I'd buy that bike myself and modify it so it's cooler and actually functions.
I wish I knew how to rework the motorcycle so it'll look better as a prop..
I'm seeing the same issues you are, so don't feel bad at all about pointing them out. There's only so much I can do with the model, short of taking it outside of Daz.

I have a mostly hate relationship with Blender, so I'm not going there. I'd love to articulate the rear suspension, but yeah that's not an easy thing to do. I suppose I could create a third instance (I needed a second instance for the front forks, long story), and attempt to do some weird polygon deletion stuff to create the illusion of a rear supension but this is just a prop for a story anyways.

The low point of the fairing behind the front wheel needs to be narrowed a bit more (I've already tucked it in quite a bit, but need an other go with the D-Former to tuck it in more), and maybe raised slightly. I have another render where it's touching the ground during cornering, so it's on my to do list when I go back to redoing these renders at higher quality. I already tucked it in quite a bit, but it wasn't quite enough.

And it's called a Yamaki Fusion, so I'm guessing some sort of micro fusion power plant is involved... It's a future bike, which is OK for my story. The lack of a 'drive shaft' makes me think that an electric motor drives the rear wheels. The shape of the rear wheel hub supports this sorta kinda. This bike could also use passenger pegs, so I may cobble some up if I get bored.

It's obvious to me that the guy that designs the 'Yamaki bike' models hasn't spent a lot of time canyon chasing or riding/cornering in general. All of these points should have been addressed. The squared off 'car tires on the bike' help the fairing clear a bit better, unless you are cornering in which case I think you'd still drag the fairing. But it's still a sweet looking model, so I don't mind doing some TLC.

And before you dismiss the 'car tires on a bike' thing on the original model, that is actually a thing that some people do today. The car tires last longer, if you can find narrow enough ones, but depending on who you talk to, you may or may not have an acceptable level of cornering traction (the car tire bike guys think they do just fine depending on the tire, if it's not too stiff, so for 'sport touring/road machine' usage they do just fine). Nonetheless, the 'rounded' bike tires that are almost exclusively used are engineered specifically for this purpose, so I would HOPE that the tire engineers know what they are doing. And if you are doing 'lap racing' yeah don't use car tires... A really grippy bike tire is of course the way to go. Otherwise, we'd see more people in sport bike racing using car tires.

Anyways, back on topic.

I like the general look of the model, so I don't mind putting a little work into her for the story. I have a few other sport bikes in the collection as well, but those are for other characters. Plus it helped encouage me to get my feet wet with D-Formers.

The bike model I'd really like is on another site, and they want waaay too much money for it, and this is just a story after all, so I'm working with what I'm willing to spend on a model budget wise.

Enough bike talk. Hopefully this is helpful to OP. This is a much more involved use of D-Formers, but it's pretty easy to nudge clothing away from the skin/up/down using them once you get a handle on how to use them.

Last edited:

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
clothing tips

clothing is optional in adult games, except for high heels and maybe some electrical tape. occasional stockings, if she's going out on the town. apron in the kitchen
ScreenShot41.JPG

Q: What can a girl put behind her ears to make herself more attractive?
A: Her ankles

ScreenShot41.JPG

Reactions: toolkitxx

watdapakisdis

Aug 24, 2016
If you're just worried about clothes that conform or autofit to the breasts, just look for wardrobes that let you morph/resize certain parts of the clothes. Is this a good solution for you? The tank top normally sticks under the breasts and stomach if I don't use the sliders.

Untitled.jpg

There's also SickleYield's Universal Breast Helper but I haven't tried that yet.

Regardie

Jul 27, 2017
There is a product by Zev0 called Fit control. It does exactly what you want.

There is also a Genesis 2 version.

It eliminates the shrink wrap effect to a greater degree than I can do without it.

Reactions: muttdoggy

uhohitsuhoh

May 21, 2017
ohwee, thanks for your response, i've been messing with the d-former tool a bit and it seems my best option.

i have fit control and it might be i just have too many morphs applied to the model itself? but fit control by itself doesn't do what is needed.

my workaround, while it isn't perfect and involves 2 steps, is to render the same image twice, once with the d-former visible, and once with it not visible. i then layer both images together in photoshop, and erase the non d-formed image only where the shirt is, because the d-formed one stretches the shirt past the pants line and generally wonks it all out pretty good. while i can't get it to look as natural as i hoped, and it stretches the materials and textures a bunch, i feel this is my best route. it still doesn't hang perfectly, but at least it doesn't look as if the shirt is tucked completely under the breasts

normal version

d-form version

merged version

so it works somewhat, the merged i just did quickly for this thread which is why its pretty rough. its just going to suck rendering each image TWICE, and then merging and manually erasing each. but oh well lol.

I'll have to look into clothes with morphs built in, usually every morph i try will make the entire breast section larger, in the form and shape of the breast its already fit too, so it doesn't help.

but i'm a noob to all of this

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
A quick suggestion.

You MIGHT be able to use a second D-former to 'pull' the shirt back into alignment. Just place the influence area so that it doesn't reach the breast area. While you are there, you could widen the lowermost part a bit to 'clear' the skirt on the left there. Might be more trouble than it's worth though.

You could also try using two 'symmetrical' d-formers (one below each breast) to pull the cloth down individually on each side, allowing you to use a smaller influence area for each, and maybe a third in the middle to fine tune how everything meets in the middle. This would also allow you to introduce a little variation as to how the shirt/sweater hangs below each breast.

I'm very curious as to whether fit control can handle this. I've downloaded one of the packages, but like yourself I haven't messed with it much as of yet (haven't needed to). I'm sure it'll come up though.

watdapakisdis

Aug 24, 2016
good evening!
I would like to know how do I export an animation created in DAZ3d?
Daz Studio allows you to save as movie under the render settings but I really don't recommend this render type. Save your animation as an image series (JPG or PNG) since this is more flexible. You can then convert/combine the picture set as a GIF, MPEG or WEBM using a third party program.

If you mean the actual animated models itself, you'll need iClone, Octane or a similar plugin/program that lets you animate Daz models.

Last edited: