Daz3D Clothing issue

Chatterbox

Game Developer
May 28, 2018
So I have a figure with a skirt on, she is straddling another figure. The bottom of the skirt clips the male figure's legs. There are no morphs for this skirt that is able to help me solve that. Is there a way to move the bottom of the skirt, other than shortening it?

Thanks,
Chatterbox

W22N

Jan 5, 2018
M.. I don't know if it's suitable and there are probably better methods out there but I've seen D-forms used for similar problems

basium

Game Developer
Feb 22, 2017
Try fit control morphs

They are a life saver

VNON

Sep 25, 2016
something named with poke poke, poke clothes, i don't remember :D
its'great.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
So I have a figure with a skirt on, she is straddling another figure. The bottom of the skirt clips the male figure's legs. There are no morphs for this skirt that is able to help me solve that. Is there a way to move the bottom of the skirt, other than shortening it?

Thanks,
Chatterbox
Try fit control morphs

They are a life saver

Chatterbox

Game Developer
May 28, 2018
I failed to mention, I already have fit control. None of those morphs worked. The problem wasn't poke through on the girl, the bottom of the skirt was hanging down and cutting into the thighs of the male she was straddling. The Dformer worked great. Thank you for that tip!

Reactions: Papa Ernie

Evic

May 25, 2018
D-former attached to the skirt will do the trick, you'll probably need one for each leg. They're pretty easy to use but sort of tricky the first few times so play around with it for a bit and you'll get it. You can google daz3d dformer to get some tutorials. You can use multiple dformers to get good results like decent looking folds in clothing. I use them all the time for furniture, clothing, hair and all sorts of fake "soft body physics" that Daz doesn't have native support for. As long as you don't bake it you can just delete the dformer to undo anything that gets too far out of control.

You may also be able to use the built-in smoothing modifier in Daz, if the fit is good on the female you can change the collision target to the male on the skirt she is wearing and up the collision iterations and smoothing iterations. That will work for relatively minor adjustments.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
This is one of those places where dForce-enabled clothing works very well also - you start the "straddling" figure up above the "straddled" figure so that the skirt isn't intersecting anything, and then let dForce animate the "straddling" figure downward into position, with both the "straddled" and "straddling" figure set to "visible in simulation: on". dForce will do the actual cloth physics on the skirt, causing it to bunch up around the two figures realistically.

Chatterbox

Game Developer
May 28, 2018
Yeah I thought about that. It would be nice to know how to add dforce to clothing. I'm not sure how dforce really works, but some kind of script that would add it to clothing would be very handy.

MrNieth

Donor
Jul 22, 2017
The solutions i found out for that is:
1- to convert your clothe to dforce
2- hide male model and genitals
3- run simulation
If it don't work start using Marvelous Designer and never have issue with clothes ever again :p

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Adding dForce to an object is really simple - there are plenty of tutorials on it. Essentially, all you have to do is add a modifier, and possibly tweak a few settings if you're trying to achieve cloth that's heavier or stretchier or stiffer or whatever than the default.

The problem is that not every piece of clothing works well. (Or at all.) If the mesh self-intersects, the simulation will blow up. If the creator didn't actually fasten parts togther (just parented them and positioned them) they'll fall off. If the mesh is too coarse, you get "jaggies."

But there are now a TON of dForce-enabled clothing items "out there" now, so getting one that's already dForce-enabled (and will simulate correctly) is not difficult. (They all have "dForce" in the name.) And a fair number of pieces that weren't designed for dForce will work with it. There's a thread in the Daz forums where people were listing items that weren't, but would would work.

The main nuisance is that it can take a while for the dForce simulation to run. But I've had some reasonable success with it for certain "draping" problems - the one you mentioned falls perfectly into the domain it was designed to solve.

I Steal Your Cats
Donor
Oct 4, 2017
You can also Set the model or item of clothing you are using to smooth/collide. Edit > Geomatry > Smoothing > Add smoothing. So, if the Skirt is morphing inside the male model and vice versa. Setting the Skirt to Collide/Smooth with the model usually works too. Granted you have to play around with the settings, But that's easier enough.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Yes, a "Smoothing Modifier" will sometimes do this as well. There are two challenges with that:
  1. Smoothing can have only one collision target. So if you set that to the "straddled" figure, you may get intersections with the "straddling" figure.
  2. Smoothing does a lot better when you have small intersections of nearly-parallel surfaces, like a skirt against the wearer's thighs. It sometimes doesn't perform so well when you have a sharp intersection, such as the skirt "cutting into" the straddled figure. You see this sometimes if you have an arm set too close to the body, or a finger poking through a sleeve in an "arms crossed" position - sometimes the smoothing distorts the mesh in a VERY odd manner.
It entirely depends on the outfit and the position, of course. So yes, this is absolutely another trick that people should have up their sleeves...

I Steal Your Cats
Donor
Oct 4, 2017
For sure, Granted it's not a 100% graunteed solution. Sometimes it will work, Sometimes it will require a different approach. Depends on the pose, type of clothing, how close the two characters to each other are.
Depending on the Skirt assets you use too. Some come with Morphs where you can change how the skirt looks: For example, IF you sit the post as if your character is spinning, some skirt assets come with a morph were you can make the skirt splayed like it would when you spin.