DAZ3D GPU USAGE

JesusIsDead

Hello Kitty
Donor
May 17, 2018
Greetings
New to the whole rendering and DAZ3D thingy.

When rendering image ( gpu only selected ) my gpu usage stays very low and hence the software is not utilizing my gpu to the fullest.

I'm rendering 4k image and my gpu usage jumps around 1%-5% max.

Any suggestions?

Please be gentle - I'm a rendering virgin.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1063287

I'm not a pro by any means but when your render exceeds your GPU vram DAZ switches to your CPU which is really slow for rendering.

ppoooors

Aug 7, 2016
The only reason I can think of is that you're using an older version of Daz? The support for RTX gpus was only added in the most recent version. If that doesn't work try the public beta.
I doubt the problem is the scene exceeding the vram... the 2080 Ti's 11 Gb vram is not exactly easy to fill lol. Unless your scene is extremely, EXTREMELY high-poly. In that case try another simpler scene and check the gpu usage.

JesusIsDead

Hello Kitty
Donor
May 17, 2018
I'm definitely not switching to CPU as it stays consistent at 5-10% usage with or without Daz.

I will try public beta i guess. I will let you know if it did help.

ppoooors

Aug 7, 2016
If it didn't then you'll have better luck in the official Daz forum. Although I can't really think of anything else that could cause this... you could try OctaneBench ( ) to see if your problem is with the GPU itself and not the software. Good luck.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
If you are sure that you don't render with the CPU (if you don't exceed 10% of use, sure you don't), you must be rendering by GPU (there are no more options)... couldn't you have the problem with the program you use to check the use of your GPU? Have you tried GPU-Z?

Anyway, if you have an RTX model, make sure you use the latest version of DAZ and have the graphics card drivers updated.

WillTylor

Creating "A Family Venture"
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
As far as the RTX graphic drivers go, make sure you have the studio driver. My Nvidia update program keeps telling me there is a driver update, but that update is for a gaming driver, and if I update it my daz won't render with the GPU. It has to be the stuido driver, ignore your nvidia update program.

nyalest

May 21, 2017
in render settings , advanced tab, make sure you have videocards enable and cpu disabled, then enable optix

R3x0n

Apr 22, 2017
Hi, which tool did you use?
If TaskManger try something like GPU-Z or HWInfo, seems like the TM has problems with showing the load while rendering.
Had the same "problem" with Blender some weeks ago.
Probably worth a try...

Oct 5, 2019
yeah have gpu z opened and monitor your vram usage when pressing the render button.
Keep in mind that windows is stealing som of your vram, so you might actually only have 9-10 gb of vram.

And it's pretty easy to use up 11gb. 3 characters in a room is often enough (for me).

GCA2

Aug 5, 2017
As far as the RTX graphic drivers go, make sure you have the studio driver. My Nvidia update program keeps telling me there is a driver update, but that update is for a gaming driver, and if I update it my daz won't render with the GPU. It has to be the stuido driver, ignore your nvidia update program.
I didnt have nvidia studio and my daz was rendering with my CPU! Thanks a lot man!

Reactions: WillTylor

JesusIsDead

Hello Kitty
Donor
May 17, 2018
It was rendering fine. GPU-Z shows full GPU usage where windows task manager gpu usage stays low.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
In Task Manager on the Performance tab and after selecting the GPU item, by default it shows "3D', "Copy", "Video Encode" and "Video Decode" graphs, as well as two memory graphs.
However, the Iray render engine is measured by the "CUDA" or "Compute_0" data items.
You can change by using the dropdown control above any of the 4 metric graphs.
1571314382613.png

ppoooors

Aug 7, 2016
In Task Manager on the Performance tab and after selecting the GPU item, by default it shows "3D', "Copy", "Video Encode" and "Video Decode" graphs, as well as two memory graphs.
However, the Iray render engine is measured by the "CUDA" or "Compute_0" data items.
You can change by using the dropdown control above any of the 4 metric graphs.
View attachment 431974
Holy shit dude! Thanks for this.
I think GPU-Z still gives more accurate/real-time values, but this is cool to know (it also goes back to the default graphs once you close the task manager which is annoying).

Reactions: osanaiko

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Holy shit dude! Thanks for this.
I think GPU-Z still gives more accurate/real-time values, but this is cool to know (it also goes back to the default graphs once you close the task manager which is annoying).
:) no problem.

You are correct that GPU-Z will probably give more accurate results... but in my case I just want to see quickly if the render is in GPU or CPU mode (not enough VRAM CURSE YOU HI RES TEXTURES :mad:) without having to look in the Daz logs. So i put the Task Manager on the side monitor and show the CUDA metric at all times.

Reactions: ppoooors

ppoooors

Aug 7, 2016
:) no problem.

You are correct that GPU-Z will probably give more accurate results... but in my case I just want to see quickly if the render is in GPU or CPU mode (not enough VRAM CURSE YOU HI RES TEXTURES :mad:) without having to look in the Daz logs. So i put the Task Manager on the side monitor and show the CUDA metric at all times.
Here's an easier solution; in GPU-Z go to the settings and enable the option to start GPU-Z with Windows startup (and minimized), also check the option to "Minimize to systray". This will put GPU-Z's icon in the system tray, beside the clock.
Now every time you hold your mouse on its icon it will give you a summary of the currently used Vram and GPU Load values!
And you'll always have it there since it's launching with Windows.

Reactions: osanaiko

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
I didnt have nvidia studio and my daz was rendering with my CPU! Thanks a lot man!
You do not need any studio drivers. They are only released for professional use because they are specific versions that are extensively tested for long term 3D operations. The most recent driver is still favorable.