Daz3d interactive licenses

MikasaSuCasa

Dec 22, 2020
Hello, I just created an account today but I am a long time user in the community!

I've decided that I want to make a 3d game and I heard Daz3d studio was a great place for characters renders. Been doing a lot of 'online shopping' and found some stuff to buy. But do I have to buy an 'interactive license' each time I purchase an item?

I looked at what 'interactive licenses' were on the Daz 3d site but I wasn't satisfied with their answer. But I found this, "(example: if the 3DModel moves, bends, or walks based on an action the user of that app or game makes)". Does that mean only 'figures' apply to an interactive license? How about things such as props and locations? Surely the 'figures' will be 'interacting' with the environment too right? I even talked to Parmy Baddhan, a Youtuber who does Daz3d tutorials and he said that I only have to buy an interactive license for the 'figures' only.

So my question is, do I only buy 'interactive licenses' for the 'figures' only?

PS, the kind of games I want to make are something like Milfy City and Lily of the Valley.

Neurotica3D

Mar 12, 2020
if you are making a game that uses renders then you don't need it. I'm pretty sure that license only applies for more typical 3d games where you are actively playing the character like in unreal or unity.

DonJoe

Jul 15, 2019
No, not only figures, the main thing is if the model could be extracted from your game.
So everything "2D" 3D is okay, like pics, animations made from single frames etc.
Everything where the 3D model could be extracted (like Tomb Raider e.g.) needs an interactive license.
So the games you've named are covered by the standard license, everything where you run around in a 3D world is not and you'll need extra licences for the whole setting (figures, rooms, landscapes etc.)

Last edited:

MikasaSuCasa

Dec 22, 2020
if you are making a game that uses renders then you don't need it. I'm pretty sure that license only applies for more typical 3d games where you are actively playing the character like in unreal or unity.
No, not only figures, the main thing is if the model could be extracted from your game.
So everything "2D" 3D is okay, like pics, animations made from single frames etc.
Everything where the 3D model could be extracted (like Tomb Raider e.g.) needs an interactive license.
So the games you've named are covered by the standard license, everything where you run around in a 3D world is not and you'll need extra licences for the whole setting (figures, rooms, landscapes etc.)
Oh okay that makes sense. But what if you want to make money from it like let's say through Patreon? Does an interactive license still apply?

DonJoe

Jul 15, 2019
It's not so easy to understand when you've just started with 3D rendering, but everything "flat" is okay with the standard license, even for commercial use. You could render a motive and print it on T-shirts or posters and sell these e.g. or create
a printed comic. So for games like Milfy City or LotV you don't need a extra interactive license.

And just in case, this is just my understanding and no legal advice.... :)

In the end this is about "stealing" 3D models from a game. If you have a game like Tomb Raider, everything is in the game as a "3D model" (meaning all the information about the model) and you are able to rip it from the game. If you have a game like Milfy city you can do shit with the used models, because these are just "pictures" of the used models.

Last edited:

MikasaSuCasa

Dec 22, 2020
It's not so easy to understand when you've just started with 3D rendering, but everything "flat" is okay with the standard license, even for commercial use. You could render a motive and print it on T-shirts or posters and sell these e.g. or create
a printed comic. So for games like Milfy City or LotV you don't need a extra interactive license.

And just in case, this is just my understanding and no legal advice.... :)

In the end this is about "stealing" 3D models from a game. If you have a game like Tomb Raider, everything is in the game as a "3D model" (meaning all the information about the model) and you are able to rip it from the game. If you have a game like Milfy city you can do shit with the used models, because these are just "pictures" of the used models.
Thank you for clarifying. I appreciate it! :)

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
A simple way to think about it, is that if the game is using models in real-time... then you probably* need an interactive licence.
If it's a static image (even if that is a series of static images in animation form), then it's just the standard licence.

*Some model author's don't care... but they are getting fewer and fewer as they realize there's more money to be had.

So if you render something : No interactive licence.
If you use the model in Unity or Unreal3D: Yes, interactive licence. (unless you're using static images in Unity, etc.)

And yeah, the standard licence means you can use it how you like, even commercially... including Patreon.

All that said... you're supposed to buy the assets too... and yet, here we are on a site with a LOT of pirated assets. There are moral answers, there are legal answers and then there are practical answers... and the practical answer is : don't get caught.