daz3d iray canvas same speeds as full render

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
so im trying to few things to speed up my renders... (where there is little changes, like head or body moved etc)
rendering just the model and room separate when there are shadows doesnt work good, model is much different without the room in the scene. it would require a lot of post work on the images so it's just faster to render the whole thing or just use spot render and combine

so im trying to use canvas, one for the model and one for the objects that receive the shadow
results are amazing, but the speed is not faster. it even seems slower

am i doing something wrong or is this normal?

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Whilst I haven't actually watched the videos, this popped up in the assets list earlier this week...

It's a series of nine videos about how to reduce render times using various techniques and tricks.
I think one is pretty much "render your background" then "render your characters separately" and then "photoshop the two together"... so you only need to render the background once. But as I say, I haven't watched them.

Maybe the answer to your question is in there.
Maybe another solution which you hadn't considered is there instead.

Reactions: monkeyposter_7

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
I think one is pretty much "render your background" then "render your characters separately" and then "photoshop the two together"... so you only need to render the background once. But as I say, I haven't watched them.
I've done this method.
if u render them separate, u don't get the shadows from the room environment (cover blinds or whatever drops a shadow on the character)
This method is great but not for all purposes.

Lets say u have a scene where the character moves like 10 times or something, and it drops shadows only on one wall and and cupboard next to it. But u also have shadows from the window frame, and few more objects that drop their shadows on the character...
With canvas option u choose only the character, one wall, and cupboard. and u render 10 different poses.
And the second canvas, everything else. and then combine it 10 times and get 10 different full images.
There is none difference compared to rendering all 10 full images.
- With the previous method u would need to do post production and add shadows yourself on the character and the wall, cupboard...

But my problem is, if i use canvas and i render only the character. The speed is same (maybe even slower) then rendering the whole image. It is very weird.

There must be something I'm missing or this is normal. If it's normal theres no point using it lol

Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Yeah, all the times I've rendered with canvas it was just as slow as doing a full render. Is there a reason you can't just spot render?

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
Yeah, all the times I've rendered with canvas it was just as slow as doing a full render. Is there a reason you can't just spot render?
So it is the same :(

Spot render is just fine, but i though i might brighten up a character much faster if its a layer already.

Fot that i could use a light only on character that doesn't drop the shadow, if its possible in iray?

U

User_166761

Watch that series of videos linked above. They are not super great, but they give you some clues that you can adapt to your problem. Also, avoid all emissive surfaces (beware of these in assets which have them too), only use lamps. Iray sucks at emissive surfaces. Ghost lights are also great if you are not going for a render with hard shadows.

Cohibozz

Aug 14, 2018
u can use SPOT RENDER for render only the face o what change in ur scene and the apply on first full render scene with photoshop.

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
u can use SPOT RENDER for render only the face o what change in ur scene and the apply on first full render scene with photoshop.
I know lol
spot render is great for little changes, u can use it with canvas option also.

I was just wondering if canvas speeds are slow for everyone, and i guess they are.

It's a real shame.