[Daz3D] Iray spot light sphere - reflection and shadow

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
So spot light (sphere) is visible via reflections, and it drops it's own shadow.
Is this possible to fix? Render emitter is off, i dont have any other ideas

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
So spot light (sphere) is visible via reflections, and it drops it's own shadow.
Is this possible to fix? Render emitter is off, i dont have any other ideas
Please ask 3D software questions here:

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
It doesnt have anything under surfaces. it's a spot light
This "cutout" settings I think its only for emissive surfaces, not spotlight or other daz lights... for this, you can try to set to OFF "Render Emitter", you'll find this settings in "Lights" pane (select your spotlight there).

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
This "cutout" settings I think its only for emissive surfaces, not spotlight or other daz lights... for this, you can try to set to OFF "Render Emitter", you'll find this settings in "Lights" pane (select your spotlight there).
I did, i wrote in initian post... It makes it invisible, thats all fine, but it's refeltion is in objects, and it drops shadow lol its so annoying

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
I did, i wrote in initian post... It makes it invisible, thats all fine, but it's refeltion is in objects, and it drops shadow lol its so annoying
Ups, sorry, I don't see it... other option is to reduce the reflection of the surface where you have the reflection of the spotlight... but I suggest to use emissive light and do the cutout 0.0001 tick, I sometimes make a full render with cutout at 1 and then, just for reflections, set emissive light to 0.0001 and make a spot render in that area.

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
Ups, sorry, I don't see it... other option is to reduce the reflection of the surface where you have the reflection of the spotlight... but I suggest to use emissive light and do the cutout 0.0001 tick, I sometimes make a full render with cutout at 1 and then, just for reflections, set emissive light to 0.0001 and make a spot render in that area.
Well, post work is the only sollution here. But i hate post work for things like this IF they can be solved from the start. But i guess not :(

MaxCarna

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2017
I have huge problems with that, for what I read on Daz's forums it is a common issue of Daz and has no fix yet. The best we can do is try to hide the light from the reflexive surface. I tried ghost lights once, but never got the same results.

Reactions: monkeyposter_7

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
I have huge problems with that, for what I read on Daz's forums it is a common issue of Daz and has no fix yet. The best we can do is try to hide the light from the reflexive surface. I tried ghost lights once, but never got the same results.
Well, i like emissive lights and 0.0001 opacity, but, sphere light is so awesome sometimes
this really sucks, ill need to avoid its reflection or spot render the window or whatever later without the sphere in the scene

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
This really isn't something Daz is going to "fix." If you stop and think about it, what the iRay rendering engine is trying to do is to simulate how light works in the real world. If you were setting up a real photo shoot and put a spotlight in to illuminate something, you wouldn't be surprised if you could see that spotlight in a mirror, would you? That's a direct analogy to what's going on here - the spotlight is emitting light, and if it bounces off the mirror and into your camera, well...

This is one of the reasons the lighting guys on movie sets get paid big bucks - they have to figure out how to make sure everything is nicely illuminated without the "how it's done" showing up in the shot.

BTW, ghost lights (emissives with very low cutout opacity) weren't something that was purposefully designed into the iRay rendering engine - they turned out to be a happy accident that was discovered by users. They're the thing that is artificial - there's no way to do that in the real world. Similarly, the fact that a spotlight isn't (directly) visible from the back is also artificial. But once the light leaves a spotlight, iRay's going to try to do what that light would in the real world.

So this leaves you with two basic choices - either move the light so it isn't visible, or get rid of it in post work. (Which is exactly what the movie guys do - one of the "you never notice it" things special effects artists are frequently doing in movies are taking out stuff that was there that the director doesn't want seen. Support wires, cars in the background, etc., etc. It's a very unsung part of the special effects industry because it's not "make this fantastic creature" work.)