Daz Daz3D just crashed and my 4 Hrs of work was not saved!

YaYa_UnTIN2

Misunderstood Thinker
Donor
Dec 19, 2017
Help I'm calling on Daz3D users with more knowledge than I - Daz3D just crashed and my 4 Hrs of work was not saved! So much creative time wasted. :mad:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thanks!

Last edited:

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
You need to make it a habit to save any time you make a major change. other than that all i can think of is someone writing a timed tool to autosave in daz script etc

Reactions: YaYa_UnTIN2

YaYa_UnTIN2

Misunderstood Thinker
Donor
Dec 19, 2017
Hi lancelotdulak,

Thanks for the reply.

Daz3D should of added the option to schedule sequential auto saves years ago. It's been part of many other major creative programs for years. I just can not see why Daz3D could not have this option in their standard install.

I'm currently trying to hobble together something to remind me to save my work every 15 minutes with an audio file message when I'm in Daz3D on a Windows 10 PC.

- IF - I have success, I'll post the how to for other people "like myself" which need more than "to remember to save". :)

If I cannot make it work, I'll have to save more often (it just breaks my creative process sometimes). :(

Reactions: lancelotdulak

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
If I go for a piss, I save.
If I get up for a coffee, I save
Go for a cigarette, get a drink, get a snack, I save.
Any time I get off the chair basically I save.

If you are not getting up for 4 hours to remind yourself to save using this method, you should be :D

GalArt

Feb 17, 2019
I hear you both mickydoo and lancelotdulak.

Make saving a habit!!!

Sorry for the spoiler novel.
So how would auto-save be any different for you? Even if Daz3D had an auto-save option, I bet it would still be like the current manual-save, where it's in the foreground and you can't do shit in the meantime. I hate those forced stops even more than the manual version, because you 'have to clean-off the eraser right in the middle of drawing a line'.

The way it currently is, you have to remember it yourself (and I personally often fail at it), but at least I can finish a thought without interruption. So some kind of reminder pop-up might be the best option for me.

NoesisAndNoema

Game Developer
Oct 3, 2017
Be thankful it wasn't 10 hours...

I know that pain.

Here are a few links that may help, or not.

YaYa_UnTIN2

Misunderstood Thinker
Donor
Dec 19, 2017
Be thankful it wasn't 10 hours...

I know that pain.

Here are a few links that may help, or not.

Hi NoesisAndNoema,

Thanks for the post. I already have the Super Save script but it is still based on a user manually saving.

I'll check-out the second script that you linked to and see how it works.

At the moment, I have no self-motivation to do anything to create.

2019 was :poop: for my family. I don't know if 2020 will be any different so, I'm really gloomy and boring. :cautious:

Good luck with your future game dev though.

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
Every programmer ever born has encountered this. And there are serious problems with just autosavign (youre trying something out.. you do NOT want it saved over the working version you had 2 minutes ago). Thats why version control especially multiuser version control archive systems are so complex and nearly Universally used by programmers now

YaYa_UnTIN2

Misunderstood Thinker
Donor
Dec 19, 2017
Hi all,

Just a very late update on this subject. It's May 2020 and I still haven't secured a "smooth" workflow for Daz3D game art creation so...

As for a "program" to remind myself to save my art work in Daz3D that "project" has died. I created a monstrosity of an alert program and it just became a fucking nuisance, so it has been shelved in my tinkerer's dustbin. :(

Sorry, if anyone was waiting for that to be posted, it will not.

I just wanted to update this thread.