Daz3D, Radeon and Grainy Renders

xpcor

Sep 18, 2020
I'm attempting to learn Daz3D because I am greatly interested in making a visual novel. However, I am using a Radeon video card and my renders turn out a bit grainy. Understandable. My question is, is the outcome still decent enough for a visual novel? Here is a character I've created.

Alaria 06.png

Good enough? Or invest in an NVidia video card?

Thanks for your input.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
You can increase render times to get rid of the graininess or use a denoiser to get rid of the graininess. If you plan on making a VN that won't be a long term solution but it is smart to try if making VNs is for you before investing massive amounts of money. (especially with current component prices.)

As for your original question. Yes and no. I have seen other VN's that started with this level of quality and improved if they became successful (see midlife crises for instance). But bad quality graphics means it will be a lot harder to attract fans. (A lot of people will be but off by bad graphics even if the story might matter more to them).

Reactions: xpcor

CocoVC

Aug 10, 2018
If you have a Radeon 5870 or higher, you could try -it will reduce the noise. However, I have no idea how long it takes for you to render that scene and if you creating a VN with a lot of renders, the time adds up quickly.

Reactions: xpcor

MoonBox

Asses & Affection
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 11, 2021
From what I've read, Daz can't render with Radeon cards. It won't even detect my RX 580. I might be wrong though.

Are you sure you're not CPU rendering?

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
From what I've read, Daz can't render with Radeon cards. It won't even detect my RX 580. I might be wrong though.

Yeah Iray renderer used in DAZ is from Nvidia and doesn't work on AMD cards. It's using your CPU to render which is a lot slower.

xpcor

Sep 18, 2020

Yeah, it is using my CPU because of no NVidia card. Though is the outcome still decent enough for a VN?

MoonBox

Asses & Affection
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 11, 2021
Yeah, it is using my CPU because of no NVidia card. Though is the outcome still decent enough for a VN?
From my understanding, the quality should be the same. It's just going to take a lot longer.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
From my understanding, the quality should be the same. It's just going to take a lot longer.
I've heard that as well, but I don't know. Maybe it's an Intel thing, but any tests I've ran have always had far more noise than than a GPU render despite taking up to three times longer.

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
The threads in the game section can get quite brutal at times. You may find the discussion gets hung up on the quality of renders rather than the game itself.

I think you should expect to spend time on post work, even with an NVidia card.

I’ve run your image through Photoshop’s smart sharpen tool with a high emphasis on noise removal and got this result.

Alaria_06_sharpen.png