Daz Daz3d Realism? lighting? new to this..

xDEEPx

Oct 7, 2017
So after many trial and errors I finally got the basic understanding and was able to render out a therapist ( yes even with the spotlight and normal light it didnt change? o.0)
My cpu was being a cunt and any renders would take over 2 hours using Iray and so I found that using Intermediate OpenGL I was able to render out that scene in about 15mins or so... much better.... I own a potato.
My main question is any tips on making it more rea (like actual games do)l? anything you can advice for me to add on to my scene? lighting types or something links to a special videos? any "advice".
(yes their probably is a million advice on the similar issues but I wanted advice from my creations perspective..)
Thanks.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Instead of trying with Iray or OpenGL, you should try with 3DL. It should provide better result.

DAZStudio_nAitGGqvuk.png

Try to grab some genesis 2 / V4 model, as they come with 3DL shader iirc. You can convert any Iray surface to 3DL but it take a bit of time. There is also some converter but never used it :

Reactions: xDEEPx

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
As no__name says, you should probably experiment with the 3Delight renderer, because (as you found out) iRay is glacially slow without an NVidia GPU.

While you could probably improve the lighting with the OpenGL renderer, one of the problems it has is that it doesn't deal with transparency correctly. That causes problems with anything glass, and with quite a few hairs, since they tend to use transparency a fair amount.

3Delight has its own rules, which are very different from iRay's. iRay tries to be reasonably "treat light the way light really works." 3Delight takes a very different approach that was designed to improve rendering speed, at the cost of some "reality." For example, items in 3Delight don't automatically cast or catch shadows - you have to enable that kind of stuff.

But, fundamentally, 3Delight was designed for CPU rendering, whereas iRay was designed for GPU rendering.

And also, as no__name suggests, the older generations of characters (V4, Genesis, Genesis 2) were designed for 3Delight, and so will probably give you better results than if you try to use Genesis 3 or Genesis 8 characters.

watdapakisdis

Aug 24, 2016
You might not get the result you want if you use 3Delight. Almost all DAZ figures recently released only have iRay materials.

xDEEPx

Oct 7, 2017
Instead of trying with Iray or OpenGL, you should try with 3DL. It should provide better result.

View attachment 770070

Try to grab some genesis 2 / V4 model, as they come with 3DL shader iirc. You can convert any Iray surface to 3DL but it take a bit of time. There is also some converter but never used it :

You might not get the result you want if you use 3Delight. Almost all DAZ figures recently released only have iRay materials.
3DL render takes more than an hour still... I made some spotlight changes and shadowed the better but it doesnt feel realistic yet.. like realer skin that other games have? im missing something but dunno what.
I add downloaded char skin, top quality but when dropped in it looks degraded. something missing the realisticness.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
3DL render takes more than an hour still... I made some spotlight changes and shadowed the better but it doesnt feel realistic yet.. like realer skin that other games have? im missing something but dunno what.
I add downloaded char skin, top quality but when dropped in it looks degraded. something missing the realisticness.

Maybe you made a mistake with the images but it's still OpenGL

• Thinking Face

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Intermediate open gl needs a lot more time than basic open gl and doesn't look much different (noticed that when testing animations).

Also as no__name said, that's not 3dlight in the second render, it's open gl^^
3dlight can look quite realistic, with the right materials and render settings it can even challenge iray to some degree.
Have a look and and

PS: a lot of g3 figures also use 3dlight shader since iray was introduced after the g3 figure, that's also one of the reasons why many people think that g3 doesn't look as good as g8.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
There is absolute to convert for iray imo from that era.
But the baked light/shadow make it damn difficult
I have that one it's great! I used it a few times as overlay for other skins, was too lazy to fix it tho^^
Honestly, even the g3f skin is really good if convertet to iray and there are other non iray skins with great textures, too.

xDEEPx

Oct 7, 2017
PS: a lot of g3 figures also use 3dlight shader since iray was introduced after the g3 figure, that's also one of the reasons why many people think that g3 doesn't look as good as g8.
I found that OpenGL is my only way for If I actually wanna create and render a game...but I am using g8 only but it looks like plastic or clay no matter what it doesnt change from pre or after render it just looks horrible. I can see that maybe Gamma or GC may have a role to play but I dunno. anyway its fun just messin round thanks y'all for stickin with this.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I found that OpenGL is my only way for If I actually wanna create and render a game...but I am using g8 only but it looks like plastic or clay no matter what it doesnt change from pre or after render it just looks horrible. I can see that maybe Gamma or GC may have a role to play but I dunno. anyway its fun just messin round thanks y'all for stickin with this.
it doesn't change because what you see in the preview window is open gl as well, so the "rendered" open gl version is only slightly different.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I'll be honest with you... Then don't. Nobody in 2020 gonna try a game fully rendered with OpenGL, no matter how hard you try, it"s the harsh truth. Have you tried Illusion software tools? Can your machine handle it?

xDEEPx

Oct 7, 2017
it doesn't change because what you see in the preview window is open gl as well, so the "rendered" open gl version is only slightly different.
So overall no matter what I try Iray is the way ;'3
pc specs:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
8.00GB Dual-Channel
Intel Core i5
its like 7 years ol and was cheap//

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
So overall no matter what I try Iray is the way ;'3
pc specs:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
8.00GB Dual-Channel
Intel Core i5
its like 7 years ol and was cheap//
you wont make big jumps with these pecs, but yes, you can use it for simple render.