Daz3d: render info

Cohibozz

Aug 14, 2018
If I have a entire house scene and I am rendering one char on the house door. In a very close vista....

Daz3d render all entire scene( also the not view part) or as I think it render only the visible scene?

I am asking it because I have read in a topic on this forum to change texture for tongue if mouth is closed ..
But...if mouth is closed tongue is not visible....no rented needed for tongue...or not?

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
You can eliminate all parts that are not need to render but keep in mind that daz (in Iray) calculates where the lights reflects so don't delete all (just props or things outside of the render area that not affects light).

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Daz does not look for what is visible or not. It will render everything on the scene. The tongue included even if the mouth is closed.
Now, changing the mouth texture may be a bit extreme.

If you have problems with a big scene like the house I recommend you getting scene optimizer script for daz3d.
Many of the textures are probably very high res. But it does not need to be unless it's a very close up shot.
The assets do not know if you close up or not so you need to do that manually.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
As Hopes says, Daz really doesn't know what's "visible" and what isn't. Case in point - the camera might be facing the house, so the big tree in the front yard is "behind you" and not "visible." Except that it's between you and the sun, and so is casting a shadow across part of the house. So the effects of items in the scene may be visible, even if they are technically not within the field of view of the camera. That's why there's no attempt to prune things.

Now - if you turn an item "off" in the scene (i.e. click on the little eyeball), then Daz won't include it in the rendering process. Neither the mesh nor any of the textures get used. (Assuming the texture isn't re-used anywhere else.) So if you're looking at the closed front door, you might be able to "turn off," and thus exclude from the rendering process, anything on the inside of the house.

Note that the amount of memory consumed by the mesh, and the effect it has on the render processing is usually small. Texture size tends to dominate the equation, since the total of the mesh is probably in the megabyte range, while the totality of textures in the scene will easily be gigabytes.

The iRay textures on most recent Daz characters and a lot of props are huge. Usually 4K by 4K. Meaning 16 million pixels, or about 48 megabytes after the JPG is expanded into memory. And there are usually a LOT of textures - diffuse maps, normal maps, specular maps, etc., etc., for each and every part of the character. The eyes, for example - 48 megabytes for an eyeball that's going to be how big in the final render? The PA's build the textures that big because, first, somebody might want to do an ultimate close-up of someone's eye rendered at 4K, and, second, because some people believe "texture size is an indication of quality." It doesn't really cost them much to make the textures so big, but it kills us when we try to put 3-4 characters and a house into the scene.

This is why Scene Optimizer helps so much - it allows you to sanely determine which textures should stay larger and which should be trimmed WAY down, because you know which ones are close to the camera, which are far away, which are in focus and which are going to be blurred by depth-of-field anyway, and so don't need to be high-res.

Reactions: HopesGaming

xcribr

Game Developer
Nov 7, 2017
There are two things that will help you immensely:

1. Iray Section Planes: These are items you can add to your scene from the Create menu. Everything on the Y axis of the section plane is ignored by the renderer, meaning that it can be rotated so that the y (green) axis is pointing away from the camera, and moved to a position behind the visible walls. That cuts out a whole ton of textures that you aren't rendering. A little experimentation and you'll find the best position for your scene. You can add as many of these as you want.

2. Max Path Length: In your Render Settings, under Optimization, there's a setting for Max Path Length. This determines how many bounces light can make in the scene before it's ignored. The default is -1, which, in Daz Speak, means infinite. If you have a large scene with a lot of emissives or lights that are in enclosed rooms and can't really affect your render viewport, that setting can make Iray spin its wheels for ages. I usually keep it at 8, but that can have some odd side effects based on how your scene is lit (Like eyes coming up black because the last bounce is ignored). Start at 12, and work your way down if the render is still taking too long.

While a lot of people like the scene optimizer, I despise it. But that's just personal preference.

Reactions: p_staker

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Get this or previous version, trust me it helps...

and as @envixer said "Max Path Length: In your Render Settings," i set mine to 7...

I made a post on DAZ for beginners maybe theres something in there that will help you. Search for it.

Reactions: xcribr

Cohibozz

Aug 14, 2018
At moment with my ati pc I'm using a simple render technique.

Render the "set" for 10/12 hour.

Render the single character that it make 2 hour for 400 iterations

Put char on scene with Photoshop or dinamically with renpy if no shader or also it need

In this way i can do render for a single set for different characters in less time